Hey guys. I've been playing slide guitar for a while now, on a cheap Epiphone LP Junior through a bass amp. My 30th B-day is next month, and I think it's time to upgrade. I've settled on an Epiphone G-400 SG, but need help with the amp. I'm looking for that Derek Trucks tone ( I know a lot of his tone comes from his technique) , so I need something that sounds good clean, but breaks up really easy, without using any effects. I hope to keep it around 500.00. All tube, and somewhere between 15-30 watts. I've been looking at the Fender pro junior and blues junior as well as an Epiphone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Blues Junior would be pretty sweet for you, since it has a really easy master volume/volume configuration for real tube distortion.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
The Fender Blues Jr, also the Vox AC15 either would be a great choice, you may also want to consider getting some sort of overdrive pedal too (i know you said no effects) but something like an Ibanez Tube Screamer would help with that tone without having to crank up your amp too loud.

Happy birthday!
You need to check out the Marshall JTM30
Find them on ebay for under $500
Great distortion channel and the clean channel is probably the best I have ever heard.
You won't be disappointed
man, i don't know what you guys are talking about. you can find a music man on ebay for about $500 USD and less. i own an HD 212(thats a big boy) and am very happy with it, i just replaced the tubes a few months ago and this thing was made in the early 80's. these amps were the last amps leo fender made (i believe so anyway) and sound fairly similar to fender amps, just much cheaper because of the lack of name recognition.

there is different versions of music man amps, there is 1x12, 2x12, and 2x10 setups as well as versions with all tube and others with hybrid technology(solid state preamp and tube power section, that is what my HD-212 is). there is also versions with EL34 power tubes and ones with 6L6's. if you want more breakup i would recommend one of the EL34 ones from the late 70's, the 6L6's have tons of headroom.

just some advice, if any amp you get has too much headroom for your tastes you can always get a set of THD Yellow Jackets, they replace whatever power tubes you use with EL84's and make your amp a class A amplifier. this also cuts down the output on your amp quite a bit(for example a 50 watt head becomes 30 watts).
IMO for the price the Crate V18-212 would be a good option. 18 watts through 2 12" speakers. Single channel, gets a nice clean but can get dirty. Get that true tube saturation at tolerable levels.
Quote by madh4ttr
You need to check out the Marshall JTM30
Find them on ebay for under $500
Great distortion channel and the clean channel is probably the best I have ever heard.
You won't be disappointed

You haven't heard Fender cleans then. I'll give Marshall the edge for distortion, but you can't beat the sound of the clean setting on a Fender tube amp.
Quote by Bravo86
You haven't heard Fender cleans then. I'll give Marshall the edge for distortion, but you can't beat the sound of the clean setting on a Fender tube amp.

Imo this is true, except for the jtm's and some jmp's Fenders do have a tendency to stay clean at higher volumes though. But as for the tone itself, A jtm45 for instance has such beautiful cleans, that surpass any new or old fender amp i've tried to be honest
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by mindstealer
IMO for the price the Crate V18-212 would be a good option. 18 watts through 2 12" speakers. Single channel, gets a nice clean but can get dirty. Get that true tube saturation at tolerable levels.

+1
Quote by Bravo86

For one, that is an opinion, and two, you appearently haven't heard the JTM30
Quote by madh4ttr
For one, that is an opinion, and two, you appearently haven't heard the JTM30

jtmm 45 is 1800 dollars, and derek trucks plays a '65 super reverb. Pay attention to the thread and don't start bitching about which amp has better cleans.
Quote by pak1351
jtmm 45 is 1800 dollars, and derek trucks plays a '65 super reverb. Pay attention to the thread and don't start bitching about which amp has better cleans.

For one, you dont know **** smartass
JTM30 is a small 30 watt combo you can easily get of under 500
I am not bitching, simply trying to give some help to the person asking for it
You need to pay attention what the original question was
the question is what amp would get a tone similar to derek trucks, who plays a 65 super reverb. An American voiced amp sounds closer to an American voiced amp than a british voiced amp.

You already said to look into the jtm 30, it was the third response, I'm sure he saw it. The jtm 30's are notorious for overheating, having ot's blow, and other reliability issues, maybe the reason they were discontinued?
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I didn't realize there were that many good options. I guess I need to get out there and start testing these things out.
Your best bet, IMO, is the Pro Junior.

It'll nail that Trucks tone. The Crate and the Epi won't come close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPChfSClslQ&feature=related
If your budget is 500 keep your eyes open on ebay... I've seen TWO Mesa Boogie Studio Caliber .22 going for UNDER 400. One of them was relisted because the reserve price wasn't met at 400.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore