Page 1 of 2
In your opinion, what amps are good that never get mentioned when someone asks you for your opinion on what amp you recommend. What do you like about these amps and why do you think nobody mentions them?

For me, it will definitely have to be the Fender Metal Head amps. When I first started jamming with my current band, our guitar player told me about it and I had never heard of it. Overall, I think the amp is impressive for a solid state and very well constructed (its built into a road case). There are only a handful of mentions of this amp on UG.

Discuss...
Madison Divinity amps sound pretty bitchin.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kaizerkhan13
Raven Amplifiers. new company, sick amps.

Not a new company. They're owned by Guitar Center and are essentially repainted and relogo'd Crate amplifiers.

They're about as bad as MG's...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Not a new company. They're owned by Guitar Center and are essentially repainted and relogo'd Crate amplifiers.

They're about as bad as MG's...

Yeah I wasn't really impressed with them...not bad for a cheap practice or beginner amp though...
peavey vtm
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
The MTS series of Randall amps. Not many people own them on here and are barely discussed but they are so great for replicating a tone that you like. They even have things like the Ultra and Ultra XL that don't replicate anything. Its just all around gain and heavy Randallness. mmm
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
i don't see much on THD or VHT amps. my roommate had a VHT power amplifier, wasn't bad at all. i think i might have liked it better without the hughes and ketner preamp he used with it. i own a THD bivalve and have to say the only thing i could complain about is that i have to get it too loud for it to sound really good. but when it sounds good, omfg. the amp even lets you use different tubes in it and i haven't even played with this option yet(like 12AX7's, 12AT7's, 12AY7's, etc in the pre and EL34's, 6L6's, 6V6's, KT88's, KT66's etc in the power section) i need to just spend a couple hundred bucks on some NOS tubes or something.
Quote by gumbilicious
i don't see much on THD or VHT amps. my roommate had a VHT power amplifier, wasn't bad at all. i think i might have liked it better without the hughes and ketner preamp he used with it. i own a THD bivalve and have to say the only thing i could complain about is that i have to get it too loud for it to sound really good. but when it sounds good, omfg. the amp even lets you use different tubes in it and i haven't even played with this option yet(like 12AX7's, 12AT7's, 12AY7's, etc in the pre and EL34's, 6L6's, 6V6's, KT88's, KT66's etc in the power section) i need to just spend a couple hundred bucks on some NOS tubes or something.

...preamp tubes are almost always interchangable between 12ax7/12at7/12ay7/12au7/5751 etc..

Power amp tube interchangability is usually between 6L6/EL34...and the non interchangable ones can be made interchanble with a slight mod
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
It has been mentioned around here a bit, but I really dig the Peavey Windsor. Great tone, instant AC/DC crunch. Also with a nice OD can tighten up quite a bit.
Quote by mindstealer
It has been mentioned around here a bit, but I really dig the Peavey Windsor. Great tone, instant AC/DC crunch. Also with a nice OD can tighten up quite a bit.

Agreed. I just bought one this year.
Hmmm......it seems the general knowledge on the obscure stuff is rather lacking around here.

What about stuff like:

Silvertone 1484
-Great blues/rock amp from the 60's. Kind of trashy, but in a very good way.

Sovtek Mig 50
-Pretty much a JCM800 but cheaper and made in Russia.

Sound City 50 Plus
-Basically a Hiwatt for people who don't want to pay for a Hiwatt

Ampeg VL 503
-3 channel high gain amp that pretty much nobody knows about anymore.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Gibson Goldtones. I loved my GA-30rvs. It was 30 watts class A, two Celestion V30's, and in stereo. Awesome gigging amp.
Cornell amps. Great, creamy drive, at least on the Plexi model I tried.
And some of the slightly cheaper Marshalls; the TSL601, for example, is great but never mentioned.
Any Sunn amp
Ampeg VH-140C
Seymour Duncan Convertible
Sovtek Mig
Redbear MK
THD BiValve
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
im surpirsed people dont recommend getting old silverface fenders.
i can get some sweet syrupy tones from my SF bassman with a little tube preamp boosting my signal and jumping the two channels. its sooooo sexy. my friend has an old SF twin that has been turned into a head, the thing sounds great. plus, you can get them for fairly cheap, old bassmans often go for less than $500.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
HHHMMMMM.

Honestly this aint out of this world kind of amp but the two that i hardly hear anyone mention that are just smoking ****ING amps are.

Vox AC15, o lordy is it getting ho in here i my heart just starts pumping faster when remember how that thing sounds.

And the Peavey Delta blues.

Two awesome amps for cheap prices taking in to account the tone they offer.
B-52's although... maybe coincidence... since I bought mine after the bugera fiasco that's what I've heard alot more people buying.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
hughes and kettner are not talked about as much, a bit pricey but god like tone
Sovtek amps, especially the MIG 50 poor mans JCM800

Laney AOR's are amazing for the price I would take it over a JCM800 any day.

Kalamazoo/Gibson really really good amps do alot of the fender stuff really really good.

SF Bassmen are underated they treat SF's like the plague

Older SS fender amps had some really good cleans like my princeton chorus.

Peavey Delta blues do awesome AC30 imitations for the price

I'll think of more later

EDIT:

ANY sunn amp
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by eberg2
hughes and kettner are not talked about as much, a bit pricey but god like tone

Agreed. Our old rhythm guitarist had a H&K that was amazing. Genz Benz is another brand I can think of. I have one of their bass combos, but their guitar stuff isn't talked about or recommended much. I've played an El Diablo and I thought it was amazing. Pricey...but amazing nonetheless.
Quote by eyebanez333
In your opinion, what amps are good that never get mentioned when someone asks you for your opinion on what amp you recommend. What do you like about these amps and why do you think nobody mentions them?

For me, it will definitely have to be the Fender Metal Head amps. When I first started jamming with my current band, our guitar player told me about it and I had never heard of it. Overall, I think the amp is impressive for a solid state and very well constructed (its built into a road case). There are only a handful of mentions of this amp on UG.

Discuss...

Ahaaaaahahaha!

There is a damn good reason for that!

Personally, people should appreciate the Silver Jubilee a lot more and never mention the word Slash in the same sentence.

Use Bonamassa instead - then realise what you can get out of it!
+12432354373490875908347 ^^ Bonamassa is 10x the player Slash is and has way better tone
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Look at bonamassa's rig. He has a fuchs ods, silver jubilee, two rock, budda superdrive, et al. That's the kind of set up most of us can only dream about. He's a much better than slash, amen to that
yeah he's like eric johnson in a box but then he mixes everything else it's awesome one of my faovorite players,and tone for that matter
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Definitely one of my favorites, he's a real innovative player. I personally think of him and Warren Haynes as kind of expanding and breaking new ground in blues/blues rock, and both have tone to die for.

Anyway, I really liked the delta blues for the price, as the kid said already.
Quote by Bostonrocks
+12432354373490875908347 ^^ Bonamassa is 10x the player Slash is and has way better tone

Yes, but look at him.
He's amazing, but his playing quite blatantly owes a lot to Slash; toneful, Les Paul blues rock with great vibrato and occasional bursts of impressive speed, but retaining intelligent note choice? It spells out both of them.
And they both have killer tone, but to be honest I prefer the tone Slash gets; it's more individual. It wasn't as common a sound back then as it is today.
I don't think he is really influnced by slash if anyone it's EJ BB king Eric Clapton Hendrix people like that, Slash is not one of then
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by Bostonrocks
I don't think he is really influnced by slash if anyone it's EJ BB king Eric Clapton Hendrix people like that, Slash is not one of then

Almost all of those people you cited were major influences on Slash as well. The two players are extremely similar. And I suspect Bonamassa IS a big Slash fan as well.
I just don't hear it man Bonamassa and Slash are compeltley different. the way they play everything they have similar Roots but other than that nothing really
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Rock Pig
Almost all of those people you cited were major influences on Slash as well. The two players are extremely similar. And I suspect Bonamassa IS a big Slash fan as well.

I'm sure he respects Slash, but I doubt Slash has that much influence in Bonamassa's music.
I really like Bad Cat amps, I want to play one really bad though...eventually buy one...

Agreed on the Delta Blues, Sovteks and AORs, Genz-Benz

Then there is Framus...people own em, but dont really recommend them....then there is Divided by 13....proguitarshop.com has a list of amps I've never heard of...more boutique and they sound tasty....

Oh God there are so many more...just cant think of them. I'm sure I will be back...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
thats what I'm trying to say Colin
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
thats what I'm trying to say Colin

Sorry. I think we were typing at the same time and your post got in before mine.

Anywho, it never hurts to have a little extra clarification.

And for the record, I would much rather listen to Bonamassa.
Page 1 of 2