I have a jackson, alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. It has some cheepy duncan desgined pickups in it, and i really want to repace the humbucker in it. I play a lot of hard rock and metal, and i need something better then what I have. I used the tone wizard on their site and they said the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 TB-14 would sound great, and I was just wondering if anyone had some sugjestions to what they think would sound good for my guitar and my music style. I forgot to mention i have a hum-single-single configuration.
Last edited by guitarfreak5341 at Dec 11, 2008,
For the bridge bucker, EMG 81. For the neck pickup, EMG 60 or 85. Alternatively, if you want Seymour Duncans, the Blackout is good. So is the Invader.

Edit: You might wanna know that all these are active pickups except the invader. All these pickups are pretty much metal-designed.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Drakathan
For the bridge bucker, EMG 81. For the neck pickup, EMG 60 or 85. Alternatively, if you want Seymour Duncans, the Blackout is good. So is the Invader.

Edit: You might wanna know that all these are active pickups except the invader. All these pickups are pretty much metal-designed.

I do like emgs, but would they be easy to install?
Well, you can always get it to a tech. It will only cost you a few bucks and the job will be securely done.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
yes they come basically pre wired, you just link it all with some wire n solder.
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
I noticed youve got a hum-single-single combination. There are EMG 60s and 85s in a single coils package! Thats perfect for you. If youve got the guts to try and the money to buy you can get EMG 81 (bridge humbucker) EMG 85 (middle single-coil) and EMG 60 (neck single-coil).
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Quote by Drakathan
I noticed youve got a hum-single-single combination. There are EMG 60s and 85s in a single coils package! Thats perfect for you. If youve got the guts to try and the money to buy you can get EMG 81 (bridge humbucker) EMG 85 (middle single-coil) and EMG 60 (neck single-coil).

lol well im not sure if i want to get emgs, i'll have to think about it, but I'm really interested in the seymour duncan invader, how does it sound on a clean tone?
Its a passive pickup and i wouldnt really recommend it for metal. Although if you wanna play it clean it would either have a clear, treble tone or a full, bassy one. I would go with the EMGs but its your guitar and your pickups. If you have a guitar shop near you, you could ask if theyve got any guitars with invaders. If not, and the store has a money-back guarantee if youre unhappy, you can always try one out.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Quote by Drakathan

Lol wut, every 3 of the emgs you posted are humbuckers.
The invader is awesome if you spend a bit of time you can get an awesome tone out of it although you have to play really lightly or turn your volume nob to like 3 or the invader distorts on clean tones......trust me i have one lol
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
What amp do you have ? Pickup change won't give you miracle sound if your amp is crap.
Quote by r4ster
What amp do you have ? Pickup change won't give you miracle sound if your amp is crap.

THIS damn I was seeing that no-one would ask you about that. If you have a ****ty amp the EMG's will sound worse than crap there, EMG's are designed for tube amps at high volumes ..

so, what's your amp ?

(and you should always try out what you are planning to buy)
Quote by Woozye
THIS damn I was seeing that no-one would ask you about that. If you have a ****ty amp the EMG's will sound worse than crap there, EMG's are designed for tube amps at high volumes ..

so, what's your amp ?

(and you should always try out what you are planning to buy)

i have a crappy amp now..but im going to be getting a peavey jsx in a couple days, so i wont then =D. Someone was saying i should put a seymour duncan JB and then two JB juniors in it. When you buy emg pickups do you have to replace all the pickups at once? and what emg single coil pickups would you sugjest for the middle and neck positions? If i get emgs i would probably want the emg 81 in the bridge
Last edited by guitarfreak5341 at Dec 12, 2008,
If you switch from passive to actives yes.

I would reccomend you just getting a new passive humbucker. Go online and look at dimarzio and others. I dont think you want EMG's. I love em but its gonna cost u more to get actives, and you really have no use for them.
If you care at all about your clean sound which it seems like you do go with a passive in the bridge. EMGs lose their luster on a clean sound. I own a guitar with the Seymour JB and it is really great for heavy rock and metal but can still manage decent clean and low gain sounds. With your single coils you have a lot of options if you stay passive. Seymour Duncan offers all kinds of single coils and single coil sized humbuckers. It will cost you less to buy and have the passive pickups installed or if you are EXPERIENCED with soldering it can easily be done your self (if you have never soldered pay someone to do it regardless of how easy it looks). If I were you I would run a JB in the bridge, an alnico single coil of some kind in the middle, and a Little '59. in the neck. This would offer you a wide range of versatile sounds. Hope this helps.
Quote by fretz86
If you care at all about your clean sound which it seems like you do go with a passive in the bridge. EMGs lose their luster on a clean sound. I own a guitar with the Seymour JB and it is really great for heavy rock and metal but can still manage decent clean and low gain sounds. With your single coils you have a lot of options if you stay passive. Seymour Duncan offers all kinds of single coils and single coil sized humbuckers. It will cost you less to buy and have the passive pickups installed or if you are EXPERIENCED with soldering it can easily be done your self (if you have never soldered pay someone to do it regardless of how easy it looks). If I were you I would run a JB in the bridge, an alnico single coil of some kind in the middle, and a Little '59. in the neck. This would offer you a wide range of versatile sounds. Hope this helps.

well i do care about my clean sound in some way haha, like its not to much of a big thing because i usually use distortion, but yeah i've heard how emgs arent that great for a clean sound, and i was planning on just getting a passive pickup. I will plan on checking out the JB definatly, thanks for the help.