Im tied up, i like playing stuff like coheed and cambria all the way to metallica and that kind of stuff.

also i own a prs se custom and would either of these guitars be considered an upgrade?
They're both quite a jump from your PRS. The LTD is a better value for the money though.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
the ec-1000 has a very thin tone, though it is wonderful to practice on.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
the ec-1000 has a very thin tone, though it is wonderful to practice on.

I've always liked the Gibson les paul body style, but i like to play heavier stuff alot of the time, and i know alot of people who say the esp is better for that kind of music, thats primarily why i dont know which one to pick
esp all the way, i got a couple of them and they sound awesome ex250 and a VB 400
Depends which you like better. If you get the Gibson you'd probably want to fit it with EMGs.
For new guitars, the EC-1000 is a great deal for the money - if you prefer not to buy Korean or Chinese, then don't buy it (or any LTD).

The Gibson is a classic guitar that will probably still be in vogue 20 years from now - if it's not a Faded or Goth or some stripped-down version, then that's more like a guitar you'd keep in your collection for a long time. I'll sell off Epi's, Schecter's, LTD's, etc., but if I get my hands on a Japanese-made Ibanez, Japanese or American ESP, real Gibsons, etc., I'll keep them forever.
get an LTD EC400VF it's same still as EC1000 but it has a heavier body, (more like a les paul), and you should be able to play everything you just mentioned. It also has a really nice tone to it.

it's 100 cheaper than the EC1000 so in my opinion its a better deal.
you'll get more for your dollar with ESP. I've played my friends EC1000 and it was great. I haven't tried the explorer though.

Doesn't ESP have an explorer body model?
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Quote by blind.quardian
Maan you cant solo with a les paul fret access sux. I say gibson.

Well technically on the LTD, it won't be too bad since it has 24 frets and the cutaway is much larger to allow better higher fret access.

Also, I'd vouch for the LTD but really, I think you should try them out yerself.
I'd say LTD..... my friend has the LTD EC1000 Deluxe, and it plays amazing!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Quote by Mwoit
Well technically on the LTD, it won't be too bad since it has 24 frets and the cutaway is much larger to allow better higher fret access.

Also, I'd vouch for the LTD but really, I think you should try them out yerself.

Its not about the cutaway its the shape of les paul the top of the fretboard doesnt have a cutaway only the down part has a cutaway so your thumb cant get higher than 17th fret.
I'd say Gibson. Mostly because I love the Explorer-shape and that I prefer Gibson before LTD.
Both are great guitars for metal though. You will be happy with any of them.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Mwoit

No, the cutaway doesn't help here, its that on a les paul the neck joint starts around the 14th fret already so you can't move your hand further down

That said

Explorer dude. Come on. If you get it second hand it will be less than $900. And whoever said you would want to fit it with EMGs, no you don't. The Explorer pickups have much presence already and are great for all kinds of styles of metal.

Whatever the guy said about timelessness is true too. If you get an Explorer now second hand from the 80s or early 90s and you don't abuse it too much you can sell it much more if you ever happened not to want it anymore. I'd just keep it forever but still

Also the explorer is not such a common guitar these days and no matter what people say, having a guitar that makes people go 'wow' before you've played a single note is a plus too.

Gibson Explorers are basically super awesome versions of the Flying Vs. THey're much hotter than Les Pauls too
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
toss a coin, either way you're a winner
-Gear-