Page 1 of 3
What could it be?
Some where around 100-150 dollars, 10-30 watts.
Is it a marshall? A Fender? Vox? What is it?

Your thoughts.
People here will complain about the suggestion, but I'd get a small Line 6 Spider or a Roland Microcube, preferably get an amp with a built in tuner and the ability to plug in, not just use batteries, to make your life simple and have everything all in one for now. Once you learn more, upgrade. Also, consider the used market, lots of good amps for cheap there.
In that price range, Definately get a roland micro cube. It will last and serve you just fine until you can get something better. And stay away from those fender frontmans, and them marshall mg's. And definately dont let the salesman talk you into buying a spider. A peavey vypyr may be a good choice for you.
never played one, and they might have poor QC, but crate came out with some cheap tube amps, if you dont mind the hassle that tubes could be

but avoid line 6, they're overpriced and not very good
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
cube 30's are good
I'm only Welsh, give me a break!!

Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Airline 2P DLX
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender Strat
Yamaha FG 450SA

Peavey ValveKing 212
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop SW95 Crybaby
Shit load of Picks
I use a Roland Cube 15x. i think it's good enough fo practising at home.
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Any of the Roland Cubes. Personally I reccomend the Roland Microcube RX. Lots of features, stereo sound, and it's pretty strong for it's size. Assuming you're only using it at home.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Ack, I looked it up and Vox VT's are 200$.

What kind of music are you playing?

I'm playing stuff from Blues all the way to some heavy metal.
And some pop of course, but i need a versatile one.

Roland Micro Tube is that good?
Surprising.
Vox 15VT (I think this has a switch to change the power output, handy when other ppl are in the house)

Line 6 Spider III 15w (lots of ppl flame this great little amp - do a Google and look for revies of ppl who have used and lived with this amp) look at musiciansfriend.com

Microcube
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by radomu
I'm playing stuff from Blues all the way to some heavy metal.
And some pop of course, but i need a versatile one.

Roland Micro Tube is that good?
Surprising.

Okay, then I think a Microcube would be real good for you. Look into those.
The Peavey TransTube series is pretty solid. Not a lot of options on them, but they sound better than most.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Okay, then I think a Microcube would be real good for you. Look into those.

oh yeah, but their below 10 w... aren't they weak?
If you're just beginning, a microcube is great for the money, otherwise you have to go to a cube 30 to get the same type of effects and models.

Another option is the vox ad or whatever the new series is, which is better at mid-gain classic rock type tones. There's also a vox da-5, but I've never played one of those.
Actually the micro cube is suprisingly loud. More than loud enough for bedroom jamming. And they sound so much better than the other amps in your price range. And the micro cube is built like a tank, It can also run on batteries, so you can take it absolutely anywhere and play. Dont let the wattage fool you. They are plenty loud for what you need. Go try one.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Dec 11, 2008,
I've got a Cube 15X and it's more than loud enough. I use it for a lot of bedroom practice and jamming with my buddy who plays drums.
You need to add 50 more bucks. 200 dollars you can get a peavey envoy 45 watt amp. It's an amazing solid state amp with transtube technology. I play tube amps live but use this envoy for home practice and it's the only practice amp I've ever fell in love with. It has the power of a 75 watt amp and is extremely loud. I hate the roland cube although most people here like them. They don't sound organic to me at all. I hate that digital sound they have and the tone just isn't that great. The peavey envoy sounds like a solid state smaller version of my 5150 so I dig it. So when I write a song at home with this amp I can go to practice with my 5150's and still have the same kinda tone.
Quote by hcsn2008
You need to add 50 more bucks. 200 dollars you can get a peavey envoy 45 watt amp. It's an amazing solid state amp with transtube technology. I play tube amps live but use this envoy for home practice and it's the only practice amp I've ever fell in love with. It has the power of a 75 watt amp and is extremely loud. I hate the roland cube although most people here like them. They don't sound organic to me at all. I hate that digital sound they have and the tone just isn't that great. The peavey envoy sounds like a solid state smaller version of my 5150 so I dig it. So when I write a song at home with this amp I can go to practice with my 5150's and still have the same kinda tone.

The Peavey Envoy is $240.00 dollars. He clearly stated his budget is between $100-$150. So we have been offering suggestions in that price range. The Envoy is a great amp though.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
The Peavey Envoy is $240.00 dollars. He clearly stated his budget is between $100-$150. So we have been offering suggestions in that price range. The Envoy is a great amp though.

The envoy is 199. That's just 50 more bucks. If he can get 150 he can clearly get 50 more for a better amp. If you can save up 150 and can't save up 50 more then... I don't know lol
Quote by hcsn2008
The envoy is 199. That's just 50 more bucks. If he can get 150 he can clearly get 50 more for a better amp. If you can save up 150 and can't save up 50 more then... I don't know lol

Where is it 199 at? everywhere i have looked they are around 240? I have actually been considering getting an Envoy. Or i was looking at the crate V58. They are about the same price.
crate v18. there are used ones that go down to like 100 dollars. new is like 150-200 dollars. so its not too bad. but it depends if you want that sound or not..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by IPlaySchecter
In that price range, Definately get a roland micro cube. It will last and serve you just fine until you can get something better. And stay away from those fender frontmans, and them marshall mg's. And definately dont let the salesman talk you into buying a spider. A peavey vypyr may be a good choice for you.

I'm thinking of getting a Marshall MG for a new amp... It sounded good when i tried it out at guitar center. What's wrong with it?
Quote by IPlaySchecter

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
I'm thinking of getting a Marshall MG for a new amp... It sounded good when i tried it out at guitar center. What's wrong with it?

Well i guess if you like the way it sounds, then get it, you are the one who will be using it. I hated the one i bought for practice and returned it after 2 days. There are a whole bunch of better sounding amps than mg's out there for the same price or cheaper.
Can't say enough good things about the Vox DA5, brilliant little amp. I a/b'd it with a microcube when I went shopping for a portable amp and it came out on top because of the bigger speaker size (less break up), better effects (editable and tap temp) and comparable price.

I love my DA5
id vote the roland. theyre good little amps, very versatile.
I have no opinion on this matter.
if your looking for a good cheap practice amp id go with a Johnson Reptone 15, it has a 6.5 inch speaker with 15 watts, comes with clean tone and overdrive with gain control, Master volume knob, treble, mid, and bass control as well, you can connect headphones to it and a footswitch jack, i've been using it for a good while, its good when your just playing at home or in the basement/garage. And for a small amp its pretty loud, i dont think it'l' drown out the drums (ive never tried), very durable, id really go with this, you can get one for about 70 bucks, cheaper if your lucky.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Ok, if you guys say roland over marshall or fender, then **** it I'm getting a ****ing Roland microcube, or just cube...
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Good choice.

thanks

I love the fact that it already has the effects
Quote by radomu
Ok, if you guys say roland over marshall or fender, then **** it I'm getting a ****ing Roland microcube, or just cube...

if you don't get the microcube, make sure you don't get the cube 15x or 20x, as they don't have the amp models- either get the microcube, or the cube 30x.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vox Valvetronix, or a Roland Cube 30. I'd try them both out and decide which one you like more.
superman is killing himself tonight
yeah, try the vox too. and the peavey vypyr (i haven't tried it yet).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hear Vox and Roland a lot, but why the microcube?

It looks unconventional to me, so I have the fear of not using a real proper amp with a gain nob, a treble nob, a bass nob, a middle nob, and so on...
Page 1 of 3