So I was wondering while looking at some neck through guitars why can't you just make the entire guitar out of one solid piece of wood. I understand the ramifications behind using different woods for necks and bodies but since the lower part of the neck on a through neck designed guitar is essentially part of the body, despite the discrepancies in wood types for necks and bodies don't you think you'd at least see them somewhere and wouldn't there be some tonal pros to having the whole guitar resonate as a whole. I don't know give me your opinions on the matter and share with me your expertise with gear building oh wanderers of UG forums.
expensive, lack of tonal depth and characteristics, heavy(most likely), weak neck (laminate necks are better)

Also the glue bond is stronger than the wood itself.

I think that laminate neck resonate better too (I may be wrong here)
^Yeah, I've seen that before. The guy knows nothing (well one of them is worth than that guy)

And the tone thing? No audible diffrence really between a good set neck and that. And as for sustain, bolt on neck actually sustain the best (but not noticeably)
Quote by supergerbil
^Yeah, I've seen that before. The guy knows nothing (well one of them is worth than that guy)

And the tone thing? No audible diffrence really between a good set neck and that. And as for sustain, bolt on neck actually sustain the best (but not noticeably)

weird, ive never heard anybody say that bolt-ons sustain the best...
of course i havent actually tested it myself either.
There have been tests, I think the final conclusion came out to be:
conduction of sound through wood < conduction of sound through glue in well-made neck joint < conduction of sound through screws in well made bolt-on neck
------

Shwiggity.
Finding a big enough peice of wood for a 1 peice guitar is hard and expensive.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by deftonesordie
There have been tests, I think the final conclusion came out to be:
conduction of sound through wood < conduction of sound through glue in well-made neck joint < conduction of sound through screws in well made bolt-on neck

I guess id sooner take your word for it than actually look for said test results.
i still want a neck through guitar though, if only because they look cool.
^ Depends where you are really, I mean you wouldnt find that kinda stuff very readily in England, I dont even know where the nearest lumber yard is.

Also your talking about a lot of waste to make a 1 peice guitar, other than for a cool project to see if you can do it, its not really economically viable, you might get some wings out of the off cuts or something, but still its pretty stupid.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man