seeing as the whole satriani plagiarism thing is going round i thought i'd bring this one up.

RHCP - released dani california in 2006, reached top 10 round the world and sold millions

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ycGLP3tjYCI

Porcupine tree - released piano lessons in 1999 , admittedly it's not a fantastically well known song but i refuse to believe no-one in the chilis studio had heard it before even in passing.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9CvxoeasJ2E

listen to the two, see if you can spot the similarity in rhythm, tempo, chord sequence?

any thoughts?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I don't really care because Porcupine Tree > RHCP anyways.
------------------
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Bands and Artists? In the Pit?

This looks like a job for imdeth!

*dons cape and feather hat*

Away with you vile fiend!

*reported*

IMEDIT: yeah, more Carmel please.
Last edited by imdeth at Dec 11, 2008,
sht ur right... sort of.

idk rly, coincidence? maybe?

one way people learn guitar, my teacher told me, was by learning other people's songs and techniques, etc. and then forgetting it. sometime along the line they'd accidently drag that stuff up and use it in their own music. that may be what happened here, but who's to know.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I've heard both those songs so many times and never even noticed that :| I think it's just a coincidence anyway, with the amount of songs that have been and will be released all over the world, it's not really surprising that some end up sounding slightly like others
I can't think of any self respecting artist that would intentionally copy anybody else's music, so I think we can just drop this arguement. Both of these bands are to be respected.

With the Satch scenario, however, Joe is a musical visionary, Coldplay are tools, and their fans don't really mix, so that may be legit.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
because of the big 'Joe vs Coldplay' issue im sure there will be lots of people jumping on the bandwagon pointing out every similarity between various songs
i say people should stop complaining and if someone does copy you, then write something better!

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
In other news, Pachalbel sues Spiritualized, Green Day, Vitamin C, Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter, Belle & Sebastian, Blues Traveler, First Class, Coolio, Joe Jackson, Therapy Sisters, The Farm, Traditional, Mary-Kate and Ashley, Relient K, The Farm, The Polyphonic Spree, Happa-tai, Delerium, Aphrodite's Child, Lutricia McNeal, Paliament, Menelik, Libera, Ozone, Arianne, Susser Tod, Bob James and Brian Eno for copying Canon.

Songs sound similar sometimes, It happens. More often than not, a chord progression or melody will have been used more than once. Satch needs to chill out, it's most likely a giant coincidence.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Cyberbob
RHCP plagarized Tom Petty.
Guess Porcupine Tree did too!

And even though it did sound a LOT more like "last dance with Mary-Jane" than this song even Tom Petty shrugged it off saying that that chord progression had been used many times in rock.
'62 reissue Mexican Fender Stratocaster.

Fender Blues Junior

Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Electro Harmonix NYC Big Muff
Ibanez TS9 tube screamer
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
Electro Harmonix Micro P.O.G
Ibanez DE7 Delay
its not the same chords!!!

Dani C is Am, G, Dminor, Am
Other song is Am, G, Dmajor, Am
Quote by The-Joker
And even though it did sound a LOT more like "last dance with Mary-Jane" than this song even Tom Petty shrugged it off saying that that chord progression had been used many times in rock.

Ye, it was totally overblown.
Wasn't there a claim on similar lyrical content also though?
Quote by Cyberbob
Ye, it was totally overblown.
Wasn't there a claim on similar lyrical content also though?

They both described a girl as being from Indiana.
Quote by aaciseric
They both described a girl as being from Indiana.

What are the odds!?
Seriously, this plagarism thing has got to stop. Certain chord progressions are popular and there are only so many keys.
I'll only take something as plagarism if it is the same note-for-note.
all good points - i don't think chilis intentionally copied porcupine tree, but i think it's possible it was in their minds subconciously when they stared writing it - but it evolved into a totally different song in the end.

we've all played cover songs at gigs though, so i guess noone can complain...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more