I have an Epi G400 and I'm getting fret buzz. Mostly on the low E, sometimes on the A. I've raised the action but that wasn't any good, so I tightened the truss rod. Help a bit but now all the way. I asked the guy in the shop about it and he said it's not that bad, and that it won't audible when the guitar is plugged into an amp (I've checked, it isn't). The problem is that I play unplugged a lot, and I'd like the get rid of the buzz altogether. And since I'm going to be changing the strings I've a got question or two:
-Is there something I can do/check with the strings off?
or should I just
-keep tightening the truss rod?
And actually related to that - should I take all the strings off at once or replace them one by one?
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
You dont just tighten the truss rod randomly its good way to create bigger problems. It has to be adjusted properly and loose may be what is needed. And yes a certain amount of string buzz on the heavy e is acceptable if it doesnt come thru the amp. If you want absolute no buzz expect to jack the action up pretty high.
I didn't tighten in randomly the first. Read up on it, took all the precautions. But if you say I that buzz I'm getting now is from the action low, I guess I'll with it.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
This happened with me on the guitar that I bought. I bought it from a shop, and when I brought it home, I found there was significant buzz on the lower two strings. However, I found the problem to be the strings. Since the guitar was in a shop, it was obviously used, and the strings were just old. After a quick string change, the buzz was gone. I don't know if you purchased your guitar from a shop or not, but it could just be the strings.

And while changing strings, take them off one by one. If you take them all off at once, the released tension on the neck will mess up the neck.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
yes definitely keep tightening your truss rod
keep going till the neck snaps and hits you in the face like a baseball bat.

that would be a stupid idea indeed. just take it to the shop or luthier and pay to have it set-up
it'll probbably play better and no more buzz.

the g-400 is a decent guitar though so i hope it gets fixed soon
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by bombsquadjunky
This happened with me on the guitar that I bought. I bought it from a shop, and when I brought it home, I found there was significant buzz on the lower two strings. However, I found the problem to be the strings. Since the guitar was in a shop, it was obviously used, and the strings were just old. After a quick string change, the buzz was gone. I don't know if you purchased your guitar from a shop or not, but it could just be the strings.

And while changing strings, take them off one by one. If you take them all off at once, the released tension on the neck will mess up the neck.

Ok, I'll report back after changing the strings. But what do you mean that I should take them out one by one? Should I:
-take one off, then a wait little, and take the next one off
or should I
-take one off, and replace it, and then move on the next one?
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Take one off, replace it, and then move to the next one. It helps with the amount of tension on the neck because if you take them all at once, it's gonna make your neck all sorts of warped.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
swap one at a time.

and for info and set up questions check out the first post in the green link in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by bombsquadjunky

Eh, it doesn't hurt it at all.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yeah, it wont harm the neck, but anyone not familiar with setting up guitars, is best served by swapping one string at a time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have a similar problem with a 4 or 5 year old G-400 (My first "real" guitar) that I'm fixing up right now. Besides gutting it completely to replace the pups and ****ty stock pots and what not there is a rather large fret buzz issue.In my case I'm guessing it's fret wear ,but in your case it's probably something with the truss rod or maybe even a few uneven frets.Your best bet would be taking it to a luth or a tech and having a set up done on it if the problem is bad.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

My G-400 used to buzz badly.Had the frets levelled and it was pretty much fixed.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.