Page 1 of 2
Ok, if any one has any really cool chord voicings/inversions, POST THEM HERE.
this is for all those people who only know bar chords and open chords and they want to learn more stuff.
whether it be chords that sound like jazz, the blues, reggae, country, even METAL.
(yes, i do know of chords that are used in metal besides power chords)

if you know of ANY cool chords, post em'.

ill start with a few of my favorites:

this is a cool way to do a dominant seventh chord in 2nd inversion:
(this example is B7)

e--7--
B--10---
G--8---
D--x---
A--9---
E--x---

post your chords!
(i used the search bar to see if this has been done before, and i couldnt find anything)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Here's a cool way to voice a major seventh chord (Cmaj7) with a 5th in the bass.

e--x--
B--1--
G--4--
D--2--
A--x--
E--3--

The you can really hear the tension of the major seventh and root being close together on the upper strings, but it sounds really hip. And you can move that shape anywhere.
12 fret fury
e|-------------------4-----------------------------------1------------------|
B|--------------0--------------------------3--------------------------------|
G|---------6--------------------------------------4-------------------------|
D|----7-----------------------------5---------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Progression

Love it
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
-0--
-0--
-0--
-0--
-0--
-0--

Em11
Coolest chord ever ;]

EDIT: On a more serious note, I do know one great chord, that I've learned from John Scofield.

e|--0--
B|--2--
G|--2--
D|--1--
A|--X--
E|--1--

It's a Fmaj7#5(b7)
A b7 in a Maj7 chord ;] He uses it in a progression Gm7b5 - F#m7 - Fmaj7#5(b7)
Last edited by UNIe at Dec 11, 2008,
thats alot guys/girls for posting cool chords!!!
they're all really interesting =]

one cool way i like to do a maj9 chord:
(the example is Cmaj9)

e--x--
B--x--
G--7-- pointer
D--9-- pinky
A--7-- middle
E--8-- ring

there is obviously many ways to fret the chord but i put my favorite way in.

EDIT: here is a cool way to play a A7(#5)
its a really cool chord, if you can figure out a progression that sounds good with it.

e--x--
B--6--
G--6--
D--5--
A--x--
E--5--
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Dec 11, 2008,
I've always like this voicing for a maj9 - try it out, sounds pretty smooth

Cmaj9, 1st inversion

e--7---
b--8---
g--7---
d--10--
a--7---
e-------

The simple dominant chord is brilliant as well

e---
B---
G--7
D--6
A--7
E---

E7 (without the fifth)
E7#9 the 'jimi hendrix chord'

Also A13
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I enjoy moving power chord and octave shapes in various positions on the neck - in some cases it sounds like utter ****, in others it sounds very strange and beautiful.
E||--1----||
B||--1----||
G||--3----||
D||--5----||
A||-------||
E||--4----||
Abmaj13...fifth and eleventh omitted.

Yeah, I stole it from Allan Holdsworth. Do something.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
E------
B-7--4
G-5--3
D-5--3
A-7--4
E------

The first one is C Major with added #11.
The second one is something like C#6add9...
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
thats a cool chord
isnt it Emaj9?

Yes.

You're entirely right. I normally play a similar add13 chord and got mixed up and just assumed I had all the chord tones for both at the same time.

I'll correct that orginal post.

<.<

>.>
i like this voicing

e---0---
B---8--- first finger
G---11- pinky
D---9--- middle finger
A---10- ring finger
E---0---

its Em add9 with no 5th.
there is a half step between the notes on the G string and the B string so it creates some tension.
really cool chord in my opinion.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
There are no inherently "cool" voicings. How a voicing sounds is determined by how it leads from and into the chords surrounding it. If someone finds themself playing the same voicing all the time, the problem is that they probably lack the knowledge to construct them all over the neck.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
There are no inherently "cool" voicings. How a voicing sounds is determined by how it leads from and into the chords surrounding it. If someone finds themself playing the same voicing all the time, the problem is that they probably lack the knowledge to construct them all over the neck.

this thread was made to help people find "new" or "cool" voicings for chords (how ever you want to call it)
just cause we used the word "cool" doesnt mean were commiting some horrible crime.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
^ nor does the fact that he points out that cool is contextual mean you have to jump to anyone's defence.

Speaking of which, I think this is the first post I've made in this thread that's coherent and correct. I apologise to all involved.
i love this chord
its Amaj13 with no 5th.

e---14--
B---12--
G---13--
D---11--
A---0----
E---x----

and Eadd9

e--0----
B--0----
G--11--
D--9----
A--11--
E--0----
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by Archeo Avis

wow seriously?
Here's a few of my favorites;

D/F# Em9 Am9 Am11 Cadd9(#11)

e-------------0-------------0--------------0-----------------0
b---3--------3-------------1--------------3-----------------3
g---2--------0-------------4--------------5-----------------0
d---0--------4-------------2--------------5-----------------4
a---x--------2-------------0--------------x-----------------3
E---2--------0-----------------------------5------------------

The Em9 chord sounds really pretty when arpeggiated.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
wow seriously?

This response confuses me. If it was sarcasm, it would suggest that I was pointing out the obvious and thus shouldn't have responded at all, but the very existence of this thread means that it can't be all that obvious. More likely, you were attempting some sort of insult and just don't understand how sarcasm works.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^ I think it was meant in disbelief - as in "Are you for real, man?"

This is simple I was playing with it today I think it sounds cool...

(0)
-

Amadd9
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 26, 2009,
^ I think it was meant in disbelief - as in "Are you for real, man?"

As in a reaction to my awesome?
Now I could respond to that with an indredulous eye roll such as-
Quote by Archeo Avis
wow, seriously?

Or a sarcastic eye roll such as
Quote by Archeo Avis
Yeah that's right. Because you're soooo fucking awesome!!

See the difference?
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 26, 2009,
Em

You'll never play a standard E minor again.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Archeo Avis

no more like i thought you need to just not post sometimes. yes i see where you are comming from but seriously, give it a rest. even if you knew chord construction, that doesnt mean you know all the possible chords there are. there is always going to be an idea that you havent thought of even with a vast knowledge of theory. there are always going to be voicings that you just didnt think of or just didnt take the time to make. so your post seemed like you just wanted to sound smart.

plus, you didnt need to say anything abou "cool voicings". im pretty sure anyone with half a brain would know what that means. obviously a "cool" chord would just be an interesting version of a chord or a way to play it that you wouldnt normally see.

last time i checked, you were suposed to share and have fun with music.
no more like i thought you need to just not post sometimes. yes i see where you are comming from but seriously, give it a rest. even if you knew chord construction, that doesnt mean you know all the possible chords there are. there is always going to be an idea that you havent thought of even with a vast knowledge of theory. there are always going to be voicings that you just didnt think of or just didnt take the time to make. so your post seemed like you just wanted to sound smart.

How is any of this even remotely relevant to my comment?
guys, please.
lets please stop arguing.
i made this thread so people could post chord voicings that they think are interesting.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by Archeo Avis
How is any of this even remotely relevant to my comment?

*sigh*

ok, this is what you said:

"If someone finds themself playing the same voicing all the time, the problem is that they probably lack the knowledge to construct them all over the neck."

im saying that you didnt need to say that. even if you knew how to construct chords all over the neck, doesnt mean you wont come accross a chord voicing you didnt think of before. so that comment was pretty much made to boost your ego.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
*sigh*

ok, this is what you said:

"If someone finds themself playing the same voicing all the time, the problem is that they probably lack the knowledge to construct them all over the neck."

im saying that you didnt need to say that. even if you knew how to construct chords all over the neck, doesnt mean you wont come accross a chord voicing you didnt think of before. so that comment was pretty much made to boost your ego.

Don't presume to understand my motives. My post was very clearly directed at the notion that chords sound inherently like specific genres or emotions. Nowhere, ever, did I attack the sharing of chord voicings. You made that up.
BTW, here are some nice sounding chords that i like to use.
x

i use my thumb to fret the bass note. that way it leaves my pinky and index open to add notes to that chord. also, if you move that shape around to have the root on B,G,Gb, and F, you'll find they sound pretty interesting as well.

x

this shape is a hendrix type chord. its a sus2 chord i believe. again, using the thumb to fret the bass note. you could also take your pinky from the 7th fret off and put it on the 7th fret on the B or G string to create a major 6(i think) and a sus4 chord.

this is kind of a Gb minor shape only there is a B and E in it. so im not quite sure on the actual chord name. again, using the thumb on the bass. you could bring that shape up to have G# in the root as well. that sounds nice as well as C#.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Don't presume to understand my motives. My post was very clearly directed at the notion that chords sound inherently like specific genres or emotions. Nowhere, ever, did I attack the sharing of chord voicings. You made that up.

your post was still a waste of time and effort. it wasnt needed. you do not need to point out that a chord cannot sound "cool" and that how a voicing sounds depends on what it leads into or what it comes after. again, obviously by "cool" he just ment an interesting voicing that you probably wouldnt see. and again i quote:

maybe you should word things better if you didnt want to seem like you were "attacking" the sharing of chord voicings.
^ Hmm yeah but he's not actually added to the thread. At all.

Anyway, i shall remove my oar and post:

E--0---
B--3---
G--0---
D--2---
A--1---
E--x---

Sorry i don't know how to do the proper code.
And i dunno what it's called, but i found it out by playing an open C on a left handed guitar.
I think it sounds nice.
Quote by Archeo Avis
There are no inherently "cool" voicings.

Nothing is "inherently cool". People decide if they like it or not and they have every right to call it whatever they want (in terms of it being "cool" or not).

Quote by Archeo Avis
How a voicing sounds is determined by how it leads from and into the chords surrounding it.

Actually, a chord voicing on it's own with no other context still "sounds" a certain way, and a person listening can still have an opinion on whether they think it sounds "cool" or not. (or whatever term they want to use to describe it)

Quote by Archeo Avis
If someone finds themself playing the same voicing all the time, the problem is that they probably lack the knowledge to construct them all over the neck.

Or they may not have a problem at all, they might just like the way it sounds.

Quote by Ikonoklast
^ Hmm yeah but he's not actually added to the thread. At all.

Exactly.

And actually calling him out on "pointing out the obvious", is also "pointing out the obvious". If it's ok for him, it should be ok for everyone.

anyway....

Here is a couple of cool voicings:

E7#9

------10---------------------------------
------9---------------------------------
------12----------------------------------
------9----------------------------------
----------------------------------------
-----(0)-----------------------------------

A 13
--------2--------------------------------
--------2--------------------------------
--------4--------------------------------
--------5--------------------------------
--------0-------------------------------
----------------------------------------
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 27, 2009,
^ That's a Bb6 with a flattened fifth, if I'm not mistaken.

My contribution:

E|0
B|0
G|8
D|6
A|4
E|4

I'm not entirely sure what it is.

EDIT: Archeo, everyone knows that the point of this thread to post chord voicings that sound nice to the person posting. To criticise the TS for not explicitly stating that is pedantic and entirely unnecessary.
Last edited by michal23 at Feb 27, 2009,
I like this chord, I learnt it years ago when I was leaning a song by The Corrs. In fact, I thik it was a cover version of Little Wing by Hendrix, but I can't remember. I also can't remember the name, wit my basic knowledge of chord construction I think it is Bm13/E (no 9th). please feel free to correct me.

e--5-
B--3-
G--0-
D--4-
A--2-
E--0-
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Feb 27, 2009,
Page 1 of 2