Page 1 of 3
Damn I'm sick of this. When are people gonna understand that a guitarist can only do so much about their tone? If you have a ****ty amp you WILL sound like ****. I don't give a crap how good you are. Everybody keeps saying I suck, but I don't see it. Give me a Peavey XXX and I bet you I can impress some people.

For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae01oMgIlJM

Nothing special there, but notice the poor rating. Yes it sounds bad but people are saying that I suck.I think for just a little over a year that isn't too bad.

Do you guys agree with me or no? Does bad tone make a guitarist sound worse then they actually are?
to a certain level you are right, bad tone will reduce how good you sound when playing. expecially if you haven't been playing long. If you know how to switch your style to suit that bad tone however, it could work.
It's rated poorly because it's a crap video. You aren't playing one song, a structured solo or giving a lesson. You're just noodling in various keys.
Nothing wrong with that video
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Quote by blue_strat
It's rated poorly because it's a crap video. You aren't playing one song, a structured solo or giving a lesson. You're just noodling in various keys.

Yeah, it would help if there was some sort of structure. Other than that, you sounded good (disregarding tone of course).
Quote by blue_strat

Still doesn't deserve that low a rating
Bad tone doesn't make your playing sound worse, it just makes you sound worse tone-wise.
And regular people won't be able to see the difference.
My friend, always has to put up with me in my regular playing conditions (Laney LC15 at 1 (on volume) through a boss ME-50's bad OD (if I'm using OD)) so he's used to my practice tone. But when he hears me through at a decent volume for a valve amp, like at Music Live on the Eve Guitars stand when I tried one out, he always says "I never get to hear you play that well, it's only when you're on the bigger amps" and I'm like "Do you wonder what it is making me sound bad?"

But yeah, if it's through a recording that people are saying you sound bad, get better recording gear, then you'll be able to emulate good tone yakno. If it's a live situation, get a better amp
Quote by Master_Student
Still doesn't deserve that low a rating

poor quality videos dont show people that you might actually be good so people give you a bad rating is justified
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
so you post on UG and cry about your poor rating. Sorry to be harsh, but it is nothing special. Bad tone, sloppy playing, random spurts of playing. I would have rated it low as well.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by willieturnip
no dude, thats a gay video.

Where is your video? Oh wait you probably suck so you don't have one.
To be honest, I wouldn't post a video at all at "a little over a year", as you put it. And yes, crap gear = crap sound. It's in your hands, the tone that is, but without a good setup to project onto you'll sound like crap. Your video, no offense, doesn't sound good though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 11, 2008,
I guess "good" tone is determined by the listener.

Dimebag Darrell was a great player, but to me his tone sounded like he just
scooped the mids and cranked everything as high as it could go. I don't
really understand why his tone was never considered generic.

And TS i don't agree. I was once in guitar center and a worker there did a demo
of a Spider III 212 combo and sold a few. He actually made it sound pretty ok.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 11, 2008,
People actually care about what people rate their videos on youtube? You realize people vote down any video they watch just to be assholes right?
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Quote by Master_Student
Are you seriously trying to compare me to satch?

Hey, I did take that into consideration.

Honestly, as much as that video shows how much tone is dictated by the player, it doesn't actually prove your point wrong. It DOES make him sound worse than he does otherwise. It's just that he's so good that he still sounds amazing.
Youtube is a breeding ground for retards and guitarists stroking their e-penises. 'Nuff said.
no
It [the video] isn't very good quality, that is a reason to mark it down. People aren't just rating your playing, the are rating the video.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
****ty vid, quit complaining and instead go build some chops. Dont try and justify a low rating.
rl]
Dude, I feel so bad for you. Everyone saying how bad you are, making fun of you. Your really not that bad a player, you just need more practice and better gear. Everyone flaming him, GTFO. I remember when I was first starting and everyone said I sucked and i did not understand how. Good luck!!!!! Check my page, thats were I got with perserverance, heart, and practice. NEver give up.
If you're gonna post something on Youtube at least turn the lights on but anyways in all seriousness who cares what gear you have. Tone does not come from your wallet. Build your skills up and get better. Who cares what some moron you'll never meet says about you on youtube. Also remember that youtube compresses the quality of the video to save on bandwidth so you gotta try and record it as best possible....and turn on the freaking lights!
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I been playing about a little over a year myself, except I play different music than you from the looks of things. I currently learned everything from Master of Puppets (Metallica), besides the solos. Try learning all those riffs at speed, if you can do it then you really did a good job learning picking in your first year. This is all my own opinion though, and I bet many people will flame.

Only solo's I can play that sound somewhat decent are Crazy Train and Paranoid.

Also, don't take personal what people have to tell you on youtube, that's just a lawl.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Last edited by bloodycomfort at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by necrosis1193
And yes, crap gear = crap sound. It's in your hands, the tone that is, but without a good setup to project onto you'll sound like crap.

I think the tone is in the hands. A good player can take a crap guitar or bass and a POS amp and still sound like "them"

Its all about finding your voice in whatever instrument you play.
Quote by GeneralElectric
I think the tone is in the hands. A good player can take a crap guitar or bass and a POS amp and still sound like "them"

Its all about finding your voice in whatever instrument you play.

Hence the vid with Satch playing a strat copy that guy posted. Does he sound as good as he does through an Ibanez JS? No. He sounds good though. At the same time your gear effects your tone though. Agreed it's in ones hands, but nearly everyone sounds good through a Dr. Z halfstack, and most people will sound like crap through an MG. It's 75% hands, 20% gear, 5% bloody luck if you ask me. A good set of hands can make **** sound good, but **** can make a good set of hands sound worse.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
the video is dark so ppl cant even see the playing? and its bad quality, they rate the video not the playing
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard