View poll results: Too bad or not?
Yes
36 26%
No
65 47%
Russel where are you?
37 27%
Voters: 138.
I think that yes but if you already know a lot musicaly and you really like only one's artist style, I think that it's alrighty.

Poll coming in 2sec

edit: yeah, the russel thing is kida "I don't know"
Last edited by kevC4 at Dec 11, 2008,
Not really. I mostly Listen to only Dream Theater. Not necessarily a bad thing
Listen to who you want as much as you want

but listening to one artist too much can reduce your creativity and you may end up 'killing' that artist and never liking them again

but id say its fine

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
i end up getting sick of the artist after a couple of days, then stop, then 6 months later i do it all again

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Just give up, because Callo just destroyed you.
Quote by daytripper75
if i am not pooping, i stand to pee. if i am pooping, it makes more sense to just sit down in the first place.

CALLO

Not really. Not if they're good.

I go through frequent Agalloch and Blind Guardian binges.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Jonny92

but listening to one artist too much can reduce your creativity and you may end up 'killing' that artist and never liking them again

but id say its fine

Meh, I was actualy thinking that too.
Yes, you need to expose yourself to different music.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Not really, I usually go through phases were i listen to like one band for a good 1-3 weeks then get into a bunch all over again and repeat
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I love Papa Roach and always will, but I listen to a ****load of music.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by black-sabbath
Not really, I usually go through phases were i listen to like one band for a good 1-3 weeks then get into a bunch all over again and repeat

me too.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by zzeazz

Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks
Not at all. I can live off listening to the beatles for the rest of my life. I never get bored of them. And I listen to them all day, every day for like a week sometimes. Last week was the chili peppers. Eventually you have to go and listen to somethin else, but its ok to listen to one band for a long period of time.
Quote by zzeazz

this
I'realy like to listen to the same band for like 3 years now , of courese i svich to another band for a veak time to time .
It can have negative effects, for instance; last year I only listened to Guns n Roses and I subsequently made my friends sign contracts to know me and everytime a teacher gave me a detention I shouted "**** you, Bitch!" and then did a 5 minute guitar solo ... dark times
Expanding your music plallete is always an intersting and mind-opening experience. No-one should be stuck on one artist.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

I voted no, but I meant yes
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
I like listening to artists during time periods. Winter time is my depressed time so I listen to Nine Inch Nails and other industrial or "metal"ish bands.

Summer is 311, Sublime, Bob Marley, some rap and stuff.

I used to listen to the Chili Peppers all the time (kinda like what you're talking about) and I didn't have a problem with it. But now it seems that there is nothing more because I literally have listened to every single song of theirs and I like finding new music from bands I like.
I can't do it, I get sick of hearing the same songs over and over, hence why I've trouble listening to radio.
no, but it is sometimes useful to listen to and play music you don't listen too normal days cause it can help you in your guitar journey and especially when you're trying to write your own stuff
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I listened to nothing but Metallica for 3-4 months when I first got into them and I grew extremely tired of their music.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
i find many artists very inspirational, but i usually listen to the same artist / certain songs, & my stuff ends up sounding too similar to other artists =\

so i think listening to certain artists can limit your style, but in some cases is totally fine
Quote by aaciseric
It can have negative effects, for instance; last year I only listened to Guns n Roses and I subsequently made my friends sign contracts to know me and everytime a teacher gave me a detention I shouted "**** you, Bitch!" and then did a 5 minute guitar solo ... dark times

Quote by guitarkid2113
I like listening to artists during time periods. Winter time is my depressed time so I listen to Nine Inch Nails and other industrial or "metal"ish bands.

Summer is 311, Sublime, Bob Marley, some rap and stuff.

I used to listen to the Chili Peppers all the time (kinda like what you're talking about) and I didn't have a problem with it. But now it seems that there is nothing more because I literally have listened to every single song of theirs and I like finding new music from bands I like.

EVERY SONG????? I highly doubt that.
i listen to nothing but one group/artist, but in bursts.

atm i'm listening to nothing other than john mayer, before him it was pink floyd, before them it was muse. next time i dunno what it'll be. just every couple of months i change from one ot the next.

but in answer to the question, no. i don't think it's bad at all to only listen to the same artist over again. you pick up things the more you listen to them (here's the boring smart-arsey long worded bit) which broadens your arsenal of guitar playing and increases experience of different styles of the way people play
Quote by Cyberbob
I can't do it, I get sick of hearing the same songs over and over, hence why I've trouble listening to radio.

I have this trouble too. I have a sick mini-hi fi system with brilliant bass etc, but I'm too lazy to change records all the time, so I stick the radio on, I only ever listen to Smooth or Magic FM, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard Christmas In NYC or whatever it's called by the Pogues today.

And you know why, some guy sent in a request for 'Thru The Barricades' by Spandau Ballet, and the DJ was like yeah, I played that already this week. FTW
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Its not bad really, but i used to do that when i was young and i got bored of that band, barely listen to them anymore. Shame really, i quite liked Sum 41.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by Callo
i end up getting sick of the artist after a couple of days, then stop, then 6 months later i do it all again

That's exactly what I do. I don't think it ever gets old, truthfully. The songs stay with you and, I believe that, say, for some odd reason or other, you were unable to listen to songs for a few months, or possibly years, that, if you were able to listen once again, it would almost be some sort of bliss. Certainly, after being withheld from you, the music would be that much better. Strange. Anyways, I always get on a certain kick for an artist, listen to them madd, then just suddenly stop, and move onto another one. Few months later, I do it all again. Just like the kid said.
The times they are a changin'.....
i think it's ridiculous to do. I haven't heard a band I could actually be satisfied with listening to by itself. If you have, you should try expanding your musical horizons. There are far too many different types of sounds and melodies I like listening to, and if there was one artist who has actually incorporated all of them....I sure as hell haven't heard anything about them.

I would go as far as to say people who answer "yes" are pretty pathetic. Don't kill me Yngwie.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
i've exposed myself to a ton of different music. and no matter what i'm listening to at one moment in time i always have room for frank black. and a lot of him.
#DTWD
I only listen to Death. Because everyone else is rubbish in comparison.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
No, if you overplay things, you may get bored of the songs and begin to hate the thing you loved in the first place. I speak from experience of listening to too much Guns N' Roses, I still love them but cannot bear to listen to them much which is sad.
Quote by Jonny92

but id say its fine

I especially agree with the fact that if you listen to an artist too much you "burn out" on them.

Listening to something even once can open a door for your creativity. At least for me
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
as long as you don't limit yourself, then sure listen to one band
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

I used to listen to just one band, but after a while it got boring and I started listening to different bands as well. I'm glad I did, cause otherwise I would've missed out on a lot of good music.
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
No, but you should definitely try and force yourself to take a break from listening to them, and find new bands.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
No its not bad. It doesnt kill your creativity. But if you try to write music, you'll find that you write songs that sound too much like that artist.