i don't know if this is in the right place but,

if anyone knows of any good bass solos in a jazz song (im looking for some that are just a few measures in a song, not a four minute long solos or anything) and could post a youtube link, etc that'd be great! and any kind of jazz is good like blues, latin, funk, etc etc
Teen Town- Weather Report
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
What level of difficulty are you looking for as well? Are you doing research or trying to find good solos to learn?
Best I have on mind right now.
It is long, I haven't seen/heard many short jazz bass solos in a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOTJEqdwX7c
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
What sort of jazz? There's quite a few varieties and they're all different...
Nope, no sig here.
The king of the jazz bass solo was Charles Mingus. Get into his stuff.

Listen to Thelonious Monk's "Well You Needn't" as recorded on "Monk's Music". That's a good example of a bass solo in a traditional jazz improv framework.

And for chrissakes, people need to stop citing Jaco just because it's the only jazz they know of.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7223984/a/Standards.htm

This CD actually has some very nice traditional jazz solo work from Mr. Clarke. Highly recommend by the Tamster and very listenable.
Quote by Ivanator

Listen to Thelonious Monk's "Well You Needn't" as recorded on "Monk's Music". That's a good example of a bass solo in a traditional jazz improv framework.

And for chrissakes, people need to stop citing Jaco just because it's the only jazz they know of.

How about you stop being so bloody arrogant.

He asked for a bass solo/piece and I gave him one, sure I would've reccomended Mingus and Clarke etc, but he's paying an electric bass not an upright.

(And please don't even start telling me Clarke played electric too, I assure you I'm not as ignorant as you'd like me to be)
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
How about you stop being so bloody arrogant.

He asked for a bass solo/piece and I gave him one, sure I would've reccomended Mingus and Clarke etc, but he's paying an electric bass not an upright.

(And please don't even start telling me Clarke played electric too, I assure you I'm not as ignorant as you'd like me to be)

Just because he's playing an electric doesn't mean he shouldn't listen to solos on upright or any other instrument for that matter. Bass players solo like bass players, you get very similar ides come up over and over again due to the nature of the instrument. The best way to develop a solo style is to listen to solos from a wide range of instruments, transcribe and take the parts from the solo that you like.

Potrait in Jazz and Sunday at the Villagr Vanguard by Bill Evans are two great albums to pick up if you can, Scott LaFaro's work on those albums is exemplary.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Just because he's playing an electric doesn't mean he shouldn't listen to solos on upright or any other instrument for that matter. Bass players solo like bass players, you get very similar ides come up over and over again due to the nature of the instrument. The best way to develop a solo style is to listen to solos from a wide range of instruments, transcribe and take the parts from the solo that you like.

I fully agree with what you are saying he but im going with Scoot B.'s point. He is asking for solo's to play not making his own so, basiclly he is pretty much looking for a tab that he can learn.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
I fully agree with what you are saying he but im going with Scoot B.'s point. He is asking for solo's to play not making his own so, basiclly he is pretty much looking for a tab that he can learn.

And it's impossible to play a solo that was originally on upright on an electric. It's not like the notes are all the same.

Oh wait...
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
And it's impossible to play a solo that was originally on upright on an electric. It's not like the notes are all the same.

Oh wait...

But i doubt that there are many places to find tabs of it asuming that what hes going off of.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
But i doubt that there are many places to find tabs of it asuming that what hes going off of.

Seeing he said he wanted youtube videos and not tabs, I see no reason to assume that.
Founder of Jaco society

Scott LaFaro is amazing.
Listening to Bill Evans is a must.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
thanks guys sorry i havent been on in a few days, but to clarify, basically i dont really wanna learn anything i just need inspiration for making one.
basically im talking about an 8 measure solo or something like that, cuz im in jazz ensemble at school and i wanna eventually do a bass solo, so just an example of a bass solo in a solo section, like how a sax might solo for 8 measures or so, then guitar than trombone, and i just wanna eventually do a bass solo in the solo section. if those sentences make sense.
uh lets see to give an example of what i mean (if you dont get what i was trying to say) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXddJjTkQA at 2:13 the solo section starts and i just want any solos that would be inspiring/informative/whatever to make a bass solo for a part in a solo section (not necessarily this song) and any style is good cuz we play a variety of stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqHAJ6owziE

This guy is wicked awesome

yes its just me
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Just so you know, very rarely outside of high school jazz bands will there be 8 bar solos, or solo sections like that. You probably already know that, I don't mean to sound like a dick if you do.

I say just learn whatever changes you'll be playing over and do some scale runs over them- you're not going to have time to develop any real melodic ideas in 8 bars.
Quote by Ivanator

Thank you for saying that. Jaco is one of the worst examples for jazz. He's a great player and all but he played the bass much more like a guitar then a bass, and he wasn't jazz, he was jazz fusion.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
Thank you for saying that. Jaco is one of the worst examples for jazz. He's a great player and all but he played the bass much more like a guitar then a bass, and he wasn't jazz, he was jazz fusion.

Quote by minifridge
and any kind of jazz is good like blues, latin, funk, etc etc
I know this, I wouldn't have suggested jaco but the OP didnt say that he was just looking for straight jazz
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by bass_kid92
Just so you know, very rarely outside of high school jazz bands will there be 8 bar solos, or solo sections like that. You probably already know that, I don't mean to sound like a dick if you do.

I say just learn whatever changes you'll be playing over and do some scale runs over them- you're not going to have time to develop any real melodic ideas in 8 bars.

yeah i pretty much knew that but i figured i might as well ask to see if anyone knew of anything.

and thanks for that advice. any certain scale that sounds esp. good in bass solos? (i know blues and pentatonic tend to be overused) or should i just use one that fits the song?
For jazz you're best off using mainly chord tones because in most pieces the key goes through quite a lot of changes in a relatively short amount of time. The other thing to do is spot ii-V-Is and go with the major scale of the I.

EDIT: Also read the section about solos in there.
Founder of Jaco society

Last edited by sinan90 at Dec 14, 2008,