Page 1 of 4
Well, not all of it, but over the past day, the event(s) that took place seem to depress me on how childish and lazy my fellow age group can act.

Basically, in my High School English class, we're reading The Great Gatsby, a book which I find rather enjoyable, and on Tuesday, our teacher assigned us to read the second to last chapter, chapter 8, consisting of a mere 15 pages. Not a difficult assignment.

So, I, and a couple of other students, proceeded to read the chapter that night only to be startled by a pop, one question, 100 point test. The test was in fact only one single question. It's worth noting that Chapter 8 has a very important, story changing event take place that if you read, you would know to take note of. I won't say what, for those who haven't read the book yet, but for those who have, it's pretty obvious on what happened.

Anyways, the single question was on that very important event, yet, only 12 of 32 people got the answer correct. Being one of those who read(and got the question right), I was pretty shocked at how many people got it wrong. But the real kicker is that we had the same format test today on the same chapter asking(essentially) the same question. For those who read, it's another easy 100 points.

Anyways, that's not what I'm ashamed of, per say. It's how people reacted to getting the question(s) wrong.

I would say my teacher is more than fair, with his grading and his rules. However, once people got the question wrong, they began to flip out, cursing, screaming, and mostly bitching and moaning the the point where I, a rather quiet individual, almost wanted to tell everyone to quiet down.

I think my anger for this comes down to how lazy people can be, how everyone looked for a scapegoat and refused to take responsibility for their own faults.

Tl;DR: Kids in my class flip out over easy, 100 point, single question test which leads me to be ashamed of their antics.

So, Pit. I ask, is this something that only happens in my area? Do any of you fellows/as know anyone who DO take responsibility?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Yeah, I'm ashamed of my generation as well, the Who have done better stuff.

EDIT: Damnit, beaten to it.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
yeah I know a lot of people like that. Sorry, but you're just as bad for bitching about them.

Might read the whole thing later
Quote by filthandfury
PEOPLE TRY TO PUT US DOWN
Obligatory.

Quote by HohnJ723
yeah I know a lot of people like that. Sorry, but you're just as bad for bitching about them.
I'd like to hear how you figure that?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I Hope I die before I get old
██████████████████████████████
just because we, g-g-get around!

On topic. That is shamefully disgusting. I too have found a hatred for most people of my age group in my school.
Quote by Draken
lulz is a stupid term used by rectal dwelling wart children.
Lol, that sounds like my entire 1st hour class. They get so pissed, because our teacher assumes we can read A Christmas Carol in a month. A ****ing month! The book (or at least the copies we got) were only like, 80, small, large-print pages. And yet most of them failed the test, and got mad about it. The questions were painfully obvious.
The Great Gatsby is an awesome book.

You guys doin Tender Is The Night at some point?
They probably should have read the book.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
i wouldve been pissed to if i lost 100 points because of one question, however i do see your side of it too, oh and i think i know which part your talkin about but its been awhile since ive read the book so pm the part to me if you dont want to post it here please cause im curious now
I love reading books too man (I read 1-2 a week) but I did really ****ty in school (still do) because sometimes instead of studying I'd rather smoke pot and play guitar, or just read a book of my choice instead. You can still appreciate literature, but being a little obeying dog yr whole life isn't gonna leave you with satisfaction in the end. Sorry to say but it sounds like you have a little ego attached to ya. Get off yr high horse. Maybe some of those kids never learned how to read, ever thought of that? Perhaps their mum and dad beat them late into the night 2 hours before school when they were in 2nd grade and never brought them to the bus stop or to school. How the **** do you know? Oh yeah, that's right, you don't.

Some of those kids might end up being the next ****in' Einstein for all you know. Perhaps they'll pick up the Great Gatsby three years from now to read one afternoon BY CHOICE.
The times they are a changin'.....
stop whining and worry about yourself and cherish the fact that you will probably make more money than them...
incubus rocks my world
is chapter 8 where gatsby got shot ?
Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks

BRAAAAAADAANNNGGGGG

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Don't be ashamed of your generation. Just accept the good and the bad and move on, being ashamed I can say is not exactly a good feeling.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

Generation X-box annoy the hell out of me, but I have faith that there are a lot of good kids growing up as well.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Ahh dude chill out seriously.
Haven't you got more important things in life to worry about than how many people are failing in your ****ing English class. I understand it's probably not great that these people can't get some simple questions right or whatever, but that's their problem. Probably not something you should get involved in.

Just as Hohn said, you're as bad as them for bitching about them on the internet.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
the great gatsby?i'll have to read it sounds interesting but yeah all the kids at my school say books are boring(yet my school is full of kids that smoke weed kind of ironic in my opinion)and have waY better things to do.
I never read a single assigned novel once throughout highschool and even managed to bull**** my entire English final in grade 12. I feel sorry for those dumb students who don't know how to slack properly.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
My history class is like this, they're year 12 and my friends in the class complain that the teacher (who is fantastic) is rubbish and threatened to complain about him (even though he is the head of department) because ... wait for it ... he makes them read too much, it raelly pisses me off.
Seen this thread countless times before.

Kids suck. Get over it.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Quote by Just Andrew
I think my anger for this comes down to how lazy people can be, how everyone looked for a scapegoat and refused to take responsibility for their own faults.

That second part is the key; I don't mind at all if people choose to be lazy by not doing the work, but when they then bitch and moan about the consequences...I know what you mean when you say you're "ashamed".
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

Quote by Just Andrew

I'd like to hear how you figure that?

You think people like to hear people bitch any more than they like seeing people be lazy and making excuses or whatever to get out of stuff? no. I'm just saying you're not putting yourself on any higher of a level than them. imo of course.
Quote by Jericho114
I never read a single assigned novel once throughout highschool and even managed to bull**** my entire English final in grade 12. I feel sorry for those dumb students who don't know how to slack properly.

thats what i was looking for
although now my english tnow the books are way better so i read all of them by choice.
Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks
Quote by RU Experienced?
Wasn't that in the second to last chapter?

Chapter 8= Second to last, doesn't it?
Quote by Italy's Finest
I love reading books too man (I read 1-2 a week) but I did really ****ty in school (still do) because sometimes instead of studying I'd rather smoke pot and play guitar, or just read a book of my choice instead. You can still appreciate literature, but being a little obeying dog yr whole life isn't gonna leave you with satisfaction in the end. Sorry to say but it sounds like you have a little ego attached to ya. Get off yr high horse. Maybe some of those kids never learned how to read, ever thought of that? Perhaps their mum and dad beat them late into the night 2 hours before school when they were in 2nd grade and never brought them to the bus stop or to school. How the **** do you know? Oh yeah, that's right, you don't.

Some of those kids might end up being the next ****in' Einstein for all you know. Perhaps they'll pick up the Great Gatsby three years from now to read one afternoon BY CHOICE.
I actually haven't a ego in the slightest. In fact, I'm more insecure than anyone I'll ever meet. Which is why I ended up agreeing with my fellow students instead of proving them wrong.

Also, the school in which I go to is a pretty ritzy school. Just full of the pseudo gangsters who might pretend to not be able to read, but can anyways.

They didn't read because they didn't read, not because they couldn't.

And as for obeying like a dog, it sounds like you're still in the mentality that I've had the luxury of never suffering from. And that's the mentality that "Why should I listen to you?" There's a difference between rebelling for a cause and rebelling for the sake of rebelling.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by filthandfury
PEOPLE TRY TO PUT US DOWN

TALKING BOUT MY GENERATION

Edit again: Beatin to it. Nevermind!

EDIT: On a more serious note. Yes this sort of thing happens to me all the time. In my U.S. History class my class is noisy an immature. There juniors and act like freshman so my teachers mean to me with the acception of two other people. So they always whine on how the teacher doesent treat them right when in reality it them causing his actions on them. They need to grow up.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by Jericho114

amen man

btw i kno how to sleep in class properly

hair down past eyes.......and i am in the front row
teacher didnt even notice
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by a_man
Chapter 8= Second to last, doesn't it?

I'm not sure, I read it 2 years ago, I just thought it was longer than 9 chapters or so
Quote by Just Andrew
I actually haven't a ego in the slightest. In fact, I'm more insecure than anyone I'll ever meet. Which is why I ended up agreeing with my fellow students instead of proving them wrong.

Also, the school in which I go to is a pretty ritzy school. Just full of the pseudo gangsters who might pretend to not be able to read, but can anyways.

They didn't read because they didn't read, not because they couldn't.

And as for obeying like a dog, it sounds like you're still in the mentality that I've had the luxury of never suffering from. And that's the mentality that "Why should I listen to you?" There's a difference between rebelling for a cause and rebelling for the sake of rebelling.

You strike me as being an ignorant ****, to put it nicely.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Page 1 of 4