my computer crashed. i called dell and apparently something got corrupted on the hard drive and windows won't run. the only way to fix it is to get a new hard drive. since my computer was still under warranty, it was free. but i don't want to lose all my pictures and music because some of it i can't replace.

windows won't run but it does give me the option of opening a command prompt. now i know you can move files around on the computer via command prompt, so the same concept should apply if i wanted to move all of my documents onto a very large flash drive (several gigs).

1. is this possible?
2. what commands should i use?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I dont think a flash drive would work, as the USB drivers run through windows. You may be able to transfer to the new hard drive though
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by faultyy
I dont think a flash drive would work, as the USB drivers run through windows. You may be able to transfer to the new hard drive though

how? dell sent the new hard drive, it arrived today.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
http://www.ss64.com/nt/

That is a list of Windows Command line prompts. You first will have to mount your external hard drive and then copy or move the files that you want from your hard drive to the external hard drive.
You gotta browse to the folder you wanna copy.

You'll probably start in C:\ and to go into a directory you'd type "cd Documents%20and%20Settings" (without quotes), and so on depending on the folder name. To go up a directory, it's "cd .."

To list the folders/files in a directory, it's DIR.

To copy a file, I THINK it's "COPY file.mp3 E:\" (changing E depending on which drive your USB drive is).
Quote by gpderek09
how? dell sent the new hard drive, it arrived today.

Install the operating system on your new hard drive, when you've done that you need to go into the BIOS setup and configure it so your new HD is the primary one that windows will boot from, then you should be able to get to all your old stuff with no trouble.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Most computers nowadays can handle more than one hard drive. Put your new one in and get windows running. Then research on the net about how to set the jumper on your old hard drive to make it a slave drive. You'll leave your new drive as the master, and set the old drive as your slave. Once you have it installed in your pc, you'll go to "my computer", and it will show you all your drives, open up your old drive, and move the files you want from your old drive to the new drive. Once you have them all moved, you can remove the slave drive. Hope that helps.
Quote by Matt420740
Most computers nowadays can handle more than one hard drive. Put your new one in and get windows running. Then research on the net about how to set the jumper on your old hard drive to make it a slave drive. You'll leave your new drive as the master, and set the old drive as your slave. Once you have it installed in your pc, you'll go to "my computer", and it will show you all your drives, open up your old drive, and move the files you want from your old drive to the new drive. Once you have them all moved, you can remove the slave drive. Hope that helps.

this.
Quote by polargimp
this.

what he said.
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░