I have looked through tons and tons of guitars and have thought i knew which one and then i question my pick. Im looking for a metal guitar, 24 frets, with active pickups or something thats going to give me tone out the wazoo and some sustain I have played fenders and there sustain sucks.
Right, I'm not sure what "tone out the wazoo" means
But if you mean "Good tone" you don't need actives to do that, otherwise passives would never get bought.
Now, Fender guitars sustain don't "suck" either, I've played some that sustain forever (not forever but way longer than you'd ever need unless you were Gary Moore).

Anyway, 24 frets you'd be lookin' at:
Ibanez
Jackson
ESP/LTD

mainly, I'd suggest a nice Ibanez RG with a pickup change, but then again, that's just me.
ya i was thinking of the ibanez rg3exfm1 and the fender i have sustain blows but its about a $1500 guitar. Also i want a wide range of tones through the tone knobs i have played a lot of guitars were it don't even make a difference if its up or down.
music you play? budget? do you mind a tremolo or you prefeh a hard tail?
why active pups?
etc?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
i heard active pickups gave a better tone and hardtail i have a bad floyd rose experience so i go the easy route and i don't do and dive bombs or anything. I play mostly megadeth style metal also i really like triviums sound.
Quote by randomhero93
don't forget schecter!!! they got some really good models too

agree...
that's the pure true

how much are you willing to spend? do you live in USA or in Europe?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Look at Ibanez,

and Fenders don't suck.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I wouldn't say actives give a better tone sorry and Fender sucking as sustain? Doubt that. If you're looking for "tone out the wazoo" I wouldn't go active. Passive still give a much better tone especially clean.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
schecter loomis 7.

thats probably a ridiculous suggestions, but considering the lack of information, i was forced to improvise, on what you have asked for. i know you didnt ask for an extra string, but my reasoning is mathematically correct when i say 7>6
Quote by xphrygianx
I have looked through tons and tons of guitars and have thought i knew which one and then i question my pick. Im looking for a metal guitar, 24 frets, with active pickups or something thats going to give me tone out the wazoo and some sustain I have played fenders and there sustain sucks.

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious. Mine sustains better than a Gibson Les Paul I tried, albeit it was a Studio model...it does sustain better than my PRS copy though.

Anyway, price range? Any specific artist tones you want? Favourite/least favourite brands?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious. Mine sustains better than a Gibson Les Paul I tried, albeit it was a Studio model...it does sustain better than my PRS copy though.

Anyway, price range? Any specific artist tones you want? Favourite/least favourite brands?

did you read i said megadeth sound like a thrashy metal. nothing to expensive $400 to $500 im getting a valveking for my tax rebait check and i didn't mean all fenders i meant this 1975 fender i have dosn't sound that good through a fender stage 180.
Quote by necrosis1193

sorry for double post but you can not make a fender scream and hold that sustain as long as a les paul listen to zach wylde he can scream.
tbh that valveking your thinking of getting isnt gonna produce a trivum/megadeth tone like you like... i own one myself...
Quote by xphrygianx
sorry for double post but you can not make a fender scream and hold that sustain as long as a les paul listen to zach wylde he can scream.

Oooh boy
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by xphrygianx

Dude, what?

Are you on medication..or forgot to take your medication?

Get yourself checked out by your local doctor..somethings definitely not right.

Unless you played a piece of cardboard with fender written on the top?
Quote by xphrygianx
did you read i said megadeth sound like a thrashy metal. nothing to expensive $400 to $500 im getting a valveking for my tax rebait check and i didn't mean all fenders i meant this 1975 fender i have dosn't sound that good through a fender stage 180.

On your posts; tl;dr. I'm a lazy bastard and I stick by it.

As for the strat, the sustain, or lack thereof, is coming from it being a 1975 model. After CBS bought Fender from Leo and up until original workers bought it in 86', they used three-bolt necks, which had less sustain. As for the tone, I think your amp answered that itself.

ANyway, I'd recommend one of these;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Alexi200-Alexi-Laiho-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=542076 - If you don't like Trivium or single-pickup guitars look away. If not it looks good to me though.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-KH202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=542073 - I'm not a metal guy and even I know "Kirk Hammett" is enough to make something at least semi-decent.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/LSP-LTD-EC256-Electric-Guitar?sku=521009 - Les Paul + Aged finish = Win.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-V200-Electric-Guitar?sku=512894 - It's like a V, but more metal.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S320-S-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=512503 - If you can overlook that Herman Ri uses one, these things kick ass, especially the tremolo.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ARX320-Electric-Guitar?sku=518062 - Think Les Paul Double-cut, but from Ibanez.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-Special-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=515746 - Schecter's a great brand, and this seems to suit you.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1XXX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518481 - If you can get past the trem-less-ness, this thing is basically the above, but damn sexier.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-B2-Electric-Guitar?sku=518756 - It's, umm, guitar-shaped, and from Schecter?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-Tremonti-SE-Electric-Guitar?sku=514470 - This is what I'd get if I were you. PRS is win. Tremonti's playing is win. Les Pauls are win. This has stuff from all three. Sure it's not as good as a US model, but I'm pretty sure Dan Donegan from Disturbed used to use one, so it'll do metal fine.

Quote by xphrygianx

...I'm laughing in real-life right now. Nothing personal, but I can get my strat to "scream" just fine, and Mr. Wylde is trying to be Randy Rhoads IMO, so I can't really respect him. And if I really need to do a sustain comparison between a strat and a guitar with an HH setup, maple top and a set-neck, I will because I'm a lazy bastard, as I said, so I currently don't have a job even though I want one, and thereofre have way too much free time.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 11, 2008,
Change the speaker(s) of your future ValveKing, you will sound metal.
ಠ_ಠ
lol fenders sustain great
and
actives dont get better tone it just matters on what actives and what passives your tlking about.
but for you i guess passive is the way to go.
a schecter hellraiser seems PERFECT for you
ya i haven't seen much of schecter until tonight and they are really nice guitars for a low dollar i like the damien but i wish i could play it first. and my fenders bridge needs redone or new you can't adjust the intonation on it. also the neck needs adjusted a bit but i have been messing with it and adjusting the pick ups has made a world of difference.
There does seem like there is and endless supply of different guitar brands out there. I am amazed at how many of them are pretty good and not very expensive.

This is what I love about it. I get to try guitar brand after guitar brand and finding amzing guitars in the process. Every year the guitars coming out of China are better and better. I remember when Korean made guitar were looked down upon noe they are prefered over the Chinese made ones but those are catching up fast. A lot of these companies will fold in just a few years because of the flood of new brands and those will be collectable later on in life.

This is why I say when people are asking advise on a guitar I say go out and get you hands on as many as you can play and then make a decision. Everyone here has their favorite guitar and they will tell you to buy that one and you might and hate it.

John
Look into Jackson SLSMG, or higher-end Jacksons. ESPs deserve a close check-out too
Go and play some Jacksons and Ibanezez with different pups and see what you like in your budget. There are plenty to choose from.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Hey you know, if you're unsatified with fender, I'll take it.

i seen that guitar sell for like 3000$ in mint this one probably half the bridge is pitted and all the hardware is rusted. but i have played on it for 12 years.