I have this wierd crap on this guitar that just wont seem to go away, everytime I change the strings I clean it with a damp cloth, and it seems to go away . . . but then it comes right back a few hours later. What's something I could use to clean the guitar without damaging the wood? I don't know what this stuff is, I bought it off a friend.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
I have a tendency to bleed on my guitars and I use a cleaning solution called Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment. It's meant for furniture but it does a great job. Any kind of wood soap will work, but be careful if any part of your guitar is maple, it tends to react weirdly.

Just put a little squirt on a damp cloth.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Umm... where on the guitar? Pictures would also help.

As for the Lemon Oil that civildp1 suggested using, it'll be good on fretboards, but not the body.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Sorry, I dont have a camera. It's on the body of the guitar, the fretboard is fine. It's like this white filmish stuff that shows up. It usually hardens and I scrape some of it off with a pick.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Is it right where your arm goes?

Because if it is, it's your dead skin that's crusted up.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^priceless lol

nah, it's all over, I think a big portion of it is smoke film.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Quote by bambamm89
I have this wierd crap on this guitar that just wont seem to go away, everytime I change the strings I clean it with a damp cloth, and it seems to go away . . . but then it comes right back a few hours later. What's something I could use to clean the guitar without damaging the wood? I don't know what this stuff is, I bought it off a friend.

So let me get this right. You bought some stuff from a friend and didn't know what it was, and used it on your guitar and now it's like crusting over? That about right? You didn't use lighter fluid or paint stripper on it did you? As in the finish is bubbling up and you have to keep scraping the crud off? I'm guessing here based on your post.
No, I bought the guitar from my friend and it had this wierd film on it. I didn't put anything on it, I'm trying to get the stuff off. And it's not the finish. it's not messing with the wood at all, it just sit on the top of it and crusts . .. It's really easy to scrape off, it just keeps coming back.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Is it over the whole finish of the guitar or just the pickguard? New guitars come with a protective plastic film on the pickguard that you need to peel off, otherwise it'll start looking like what you describe. If it's the whole outside of the guitar body, it's possible that some sort of chemical was used on it and now the clearcoat finish is peeling and flaking off. What does the outside of the guitar smell like? Take a sniff of an area away from the soundhole and let us know.