Hey I was just wondering, what scale would sound good for funk over a C minor and a B flat major chord?
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
What's the entire chord progression? If it's a Cm-Bb chord vamp, I'd just improvise in Cmin pentatonic.
Cm Pentatonic, Cm Blues, and C Dorian would be good scales. C natural minor works as well, but the b6 doesn't usually sound funky and isn't a chord tone of either chord, so finding a great place to play it is hard.
The entire chord progression is a C mi. to a B flat to an A flat major 7, but the solo section is just a Cmi. to a B flat
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
That Abmaj7 indicates C natural minor. The solo leaves it ambiguous, but the nat6 may sound awkward. Use your ear and good judgement to see what sounds good.
Alright thanks, that helps alot
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil

Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
C Dorian Blues is also a nice scale to spice it up!!

EDIT: Remember, funk isn't so much about WHAT you play, but HOW you play it. Create and feel the groove! Double stops are a nice way to make it a bit funky, use 16ths rhythm and muting
Anything really as long as it has a M6 in my opinion. And doing hammer ons between m3's and M3's is instant funk
I improvised a solo for my jazz band, which was doing a funk song (Chameleon, anyone heard it?) and all I used was altered dominant scales. I pretty much improvised how I would any other blues/jazz song and it sounded fine.