A step back into the doom genre for me, but actually straight up doom this time with few post-rock/hardcore influences (clean interlude...). Not for those who dislike minimalism and slow tempos (53-71 BPM here). Meant to be fronted by vocals, but I will write a vocal melody later or whatever. Influenced by Warning, Katatonia, and Swallow the Sun.

7:50ish in length. There ya go.

Enjoy.
Attachments:
TrooDoom.zip
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Dec 11, 2008,
Very nice, and pants-shittingly heavy, might I add.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Exactly what I was going for

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I'm also sensing a ton of Scald influence in the lead guitar, by the way, definitely adds to the epicness.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I guess I picked something up from them as well then...heh.

Most of my leadwork is similar to the stuff here.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I guess I picked something up from them as well then...heh.

Most of my leadwork is similar to the stuff here.

Nice.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Ahem. Let me rephrase that, though.

Most my doom or post rock/metal leadwork is like that.

Quote by eggsandham2
Mentioned some of my favorite doombands in the OP, so I had to check this out (Warnings "watching from a distance" is on an unhealthy rotation with me right now).

The song mostly gets the feel of the genre really good, and it's not too repetitious to be very boring (and some music simply doesn't translate that well to midi, while it may sound perfectly fine real).
My criticisms would only concern personal taste matters instead of glaring formal missteps. For example, the two rhythm guitars more or less play the same thing throughout the song, and the lead is handled by a designated track. I personally would love more closer intertwining harmonizations between the two rhythm guitars, as perfectly exampled by Warning. A more "overt" lead is fine, of course, if the lead is good, but the main riff really has much more potential to slap on some harmonies. Also doesn't have to be just a simple mirroring in thirds, in fact I jammed some cool variations on that riff that had a melody ascend when the chords descend and vice versa, to great effect.
The "riff shift" really is a nice opportunity to switch to a 3/4 feel. You hint at it somewhat in the placement of the chord rhythms, I think if you expand more on that and make it an 'official' 3/4, it will have a profound impact and make the song really more interesting (which is always an issue with doom).
Some of the lead lines here and there weren't too good. They fit, and they get the job done, it's more of a thing of 'missed' opportunities in that I could think of some better lines with a more coherent melody, but that may be a matter of personal taste, and without tabbing them I know I could not really convey in words how it should sound. If you like it, keep it, of course.
Clean break was a good idea. Maybe more space in the picking rhythm, and chords that offer a slight break from the progression that's been rolling for quite some time now would help make it have more of an impact. Solos are always a touchy subject in doom. I'm usually coming from the "simple and effective" method, as I said before, I like my leads to be entwined with the rhythm in such a way that they are not readily apparent as "hey watch out, solo!", but nonetheless an inseparable vital part of the tune. Older Katatonia, for example, when not constantly pumping out eightnotes, had some powerful examples, be it the genius lead harmonization of "12" or eerie effective haunts on "Rainroom", "Inside the Fall", etc.
The clean change from bar 70 made me smile. It is a change of chords and rhythm, I'll give you that. I smiled because it reminded me a bit of the feeling of such Katatonia tracks like "Day" or "Quiet World". I don't know how well it fits here. You definetly could make something like this work, but it probably needs to be introduced/transitioned better, and if you do something like that you should at least expand on it somewhat more, chordwise. The Em, D chords you used throughout the piece earlier, for example, will fit well into a more elaborate progression here. Some soothing Renske-crooning on top, and the section is golden. Second solo had some good lines, but again, would have more effect with more restraint. In the second bar for example, there were some notes that were off, and not in a good way. Outro is the same as intro, so my same comments apply.
To wrap up, it has great potential. I hope you develop and record it. Keep it up!
I thought the whole thing was excellent, until the very end. When you revisited that riff in the "reprise" section, I felt it made it seem overused.

The bass speedup there made it seem like it was leading into new territory for the outro - I envisioned perhaps a solo and fadeout. Hearing the main riff again was a bit of a letdown.

The main riff really had me headbanging though, which is not something guitar pro can often achieve for me.

Not really sure if this is worth a C4C, but if you're interested, I'd very much appreciate it.
Last edited by voidSkipper at Dec 17, 2008,