OK looking for new guitar....Have never been a fan of Ibanez and the other day picked up a RG at Guitar Center. I can lie I really like the way that the neck felt. So I have started looking into the Ibanez and I am looking at 3 models

MTM1
MTM2
RGT6EXFX

I play mostly metal (play a little of everything but C&W) out of a Krank Rev Jr Pro stack which I just bought and really like it...But anyway...I can't find any of these model's locally to try out. Here is what I am trying to mill out..

MTM1 thru neck Mahogany body and Blackout actives $1400.00
MTM2 Bolt neck Mahogany body and V7 & V8 Passive. $599.00
RGT6EXFX thru neck Basswood body EMG 81/85 $895.00

The MT's come in drop b tuning...how will these 2 sound at standard and drop D? Is there really a difference in the set neck as opposed to the bolt neck? Usually use EB 10-52 strings.....

I am leaning towards the MTM2 and just buying some EMG's 81/85's and saving a few bucks...

Any thoughts about these guitars? What about their construction and support?

thanks

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Dec 12, 2008,
The neck thru is gonna give you a little better sustain, and stability. The Ibanez bolt on's have excellent upper fret access though. The top of the line Ibanez is the JEM, its the crowning jewel of Ibanez's line, and its a bolt on, if that tells you anything. As for the MTM's sounding good in standard tuning, they should be fine. Its a mahogany body/maple neck, and its still a 25.5" scale, so it should be fine.
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add that I would go with MTM2 as well. Not worth $800 more for a thru-neck with different pickups. Remember the JEM is a bolt on so....
MTM2, no gay inlay, looks awesome, mahogany, cheaper than the MTM1, supposedly plays great too. A bunch of people went through a phase at sevenstring.org where the MTM2 was a "must have" six string.
id go with the MTM2, just switch out the pick ups for the pickups you like to use
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
[quote="Matt420740]The neck thru is gonna give you a little better sustain, and stability. The Ibanez bolt on's have excellent upper fret access though. The top of the line Ibanez is the JEM, its the crowning jewel of Ibanez's line, and its a bolt on, if that tells you anything. As for the MTM's sounding good in standard tuning, they should be fine. Its a mahogany body/maple neck, and its still a 25.5" scale, so it should be fine.
No.
The MTM probably will come with higher gauge strings than you need for standard tuning so you might need to change them.

edit: I would go with the RGT6EXFX, already has EMG's and a fixed string through rather than a fixed edge III, What is the point of a fixed double locking bridge other than tuning stability? It would just make things harder.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Dec 12, 2008,
Ok so far most have suggested what my thoughts are. The MTM2 and swap the pups out.

What about the quality of the Ibanez guitars? It is funny I for some reason since I have started playing (2 yrs ago @ age 35(I know I am a neophyte!) said that I would never play an Ibanez...why I am not sure. But after playing one at Guitar Center I fell in love...... being 6'8" I have rather large hands or better yet long fingers and I really like width and thin neck...I can't tell you how good it feels compared to my other guitars....

Funny how things come full circle....

So if there is anything else you can think of let me know please....

I would go with the RGT6EXFX
Ya but the body is basswood....I am assuming the mahogany body will be a thicker/fuller sound!?

thanks

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Dec 12, 2008,
I like Ibanez guitars. They have just as good quality control as any other company. And I understand how you feel about the neck. I own a few guitars, and none of them feel as good to play as my Ibanez. I would go for the Mahogany body before Basswood.
The Problem with the MTM1 and 2, is that they have different bridges. The MTM1 has an EDGE FX bridge whereas the MTM2 has an EDGE III bridge and does not have fine tuners. And you cannot put any old pickup you want into the MTM2, you have to consider that it comes with a FIVE WAY BLADE PICKUP SELECTOR SWITCH. And it's a pain in the ass to find a 3 way toggle to replace it with. and the neck thru design on the MTM1 is phenomenal. That gives it so much more sustain. Also, the ebony fretboard on both MTMs give them more of an open airy sound as opposed to the more dense sound. I still do not understand why they put a locking nut on there if there's no tremolo. It's dumb, but it does make damn sure it doesn't pop out of tune. but if you stretch the strings right when you initially string the guitar, that wouldn't happen! The MTM2 should only be considered by those who can't shell out the extra dough for the MTM1. Because the MTM2 is really not that great of a guitar. It's a low budget version of the MTM1. The split coil V7 and V8 pickups absolutely suck anbd they have terrible distortion and harmonics suck. I don't usually enjoy passive pickups anyway. I guess you just have to get past the "seven" on the fretboard.
I did. I don't like it. i think it's obnoxious. It's a beautiful guitar but when you look up the neck...EH
But i got it because i love how it plays....IT HOLDS A NOTE FOR YEARS and it has the fastest neck ive ever played.
Just know that if you buy the MTM2, you'll have to find a 3 way toggle switch for it some where because it comes with a 5 way switch in it. If you'r considering an EMG 81 and 85 set, you'll need a 3 way switch. and make sure it's a blade style switch.
I forgot to mention, the MTM1 comes actually SETUP not just tuned, but SET UP for C# with a dropped B. Which means the action is set, the string gauge, intonation, nut height, bridge angle, and neck bow is all set up for this tuning. So if you plan on tuning higher. Buy some smaller strings and have it set up.
Holy triple post Bat Man!

Anyway,my vote goes to the RG,the MTM's are nice but the RG already has an EMG 81/85 combo in it and has a simple bridge and a really nice neck (the one I played did at least).The basswood body shouldn't turn you off to the guitar,basswood has a very round and even tone and catches some **** because low quality basswood is used on some cheap guitars but if it's at that price then the wood will be good quality and the guitar will be fairly light.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Ok having read the Triple Post. My questions are these.

The 5 way to 3 way switch. Can't a 3 way be bought from Ibanez as a replacement part. I checked the website and you can get the MTM1 3-way switch.
3PS1CGAE3 THREE WAY SLIDE SWITCH $9.20

Slappy Bag: - EDGE III bridge and does not have fine tuners

Looking at the pics and the info on Ibanez website and maybe my lack of knowledge...looks like the Edge III has fine tuners.....

Edge III

EDGE FX

and lastly in regards to the RGT6EXFX. I really like that guitar and would not blink an eye to buy it....has everything that I am looking for except a reverse head stock. I total prefer the EMG to the SD actives....
I found a shop locally that has the RGT6EXFX on hand.

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by theDogger
Ok having read the Triple Post. My questions are these.

The 5 way to 3 way switch. Can't a 3 way be bought from Ibanez as a replacement part. I checked the website and you can get the MTM1 3-way switch.
3PS1CGAE3 THREE WAY SLIDE SWITCH $9.20

Looking at the pics and the info on Ibanez website and maybe my lack of knowledge...looks like the Edge III has fine tuners.....

and lastly in regards to the RGT6EXFX. I really like that guitar and would not blink an eye to buy it....has everything that I am looking for except a reverse head stock. I total prefer the EMG to the SD actives....
I found a shop locally that has the RGT6EXFX on hand.

theDogger

You gotta make sure you like the EMG-basswood combo though, since it's fairly uncommon.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
What are you calling uncommon? What would you say the is good or bad about the combo?

theDogger
the MTM1 blood red colour is amazing, and the combo with the Blackouts == epic win.

its also a prestige, but whether its really worth 2 MTM2s? i dont know.
I apologize the, i thought the EDGE III didn't have fine tuners. but any 3 way switch will do as long as it's a blade style. It doesn't necessarily have to be FOR the MTM.
Why not look into the Ibanez RGA121? No trem to deal with, Prestige quality (AKA Japanese craftmanship which kicks ass), mahogany body with some killer bolt on fret access (i.e. good ) and a free hardcase.

Get a pickup change and you've got yourself a sweet guitar!