Page 1 of 2
Yeah, I thought I had decided on A/B'ing a Roccaforte Custom 40 and an Allen Old Flame for my future rig, but I'm now looking towards a more...I guess "raw" kind of sound. Instead of the Old Flame, I've decided (yeah, another firm decision), on the Hot Fudge w/Nuts which is based on the brown Deluxe Reverb.

As for the Rocca, I'm now looking at the Custom 18, but are still considering other amps around that price range. So, I'm looking for something around 18 watts, British-voiced, preferably one channel, and around $1500. So the ones that I'm aware of are the Roccaforte Custom 18, Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Budda Supedrive, Orange AD15, and the Ceriatone 18 watter. Less controls the better, so a volume and a tone would be very sexy.

tl;dr-Looking for an British voiced amp around 18 watts and $1500.

Stuff like Hendrix, Cream, more modern blues-rock bands like The Black Crowes and such as well.
check out metropoulos and brown note amps

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
check out metropoulos and brown note amps

I thought Metro amps would be too pricey. Totally forgot about Brown Note though, thanks!
I'd honestly grab a Tiny Terror and blow the rest on pedals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Brown note and the ceriatones are good But I also LOVE the budda
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bad Cat Lil' Cat
Matamp King Street.
A guy from a local band uses a Budda Superdrive 18 here - and he gets godly tone. I went and saw them live one time and couldn't believe it. I wish I had the money for one, but alas... I wouldn't say it was particularly British but the tone was certainly nice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by imgooley
Bad Cat Lil' Cat
Matamp King Street.

Ah Goolz, you never do disappoint.

A few more guidelines. I'd really like a combo and would prefer no master volume. Right now, the Brown Note seems the most attractive to me.
Quote by imgooley

Doesn't the King Street combo still have a MV? Either way, I'll still consider it.

As for Bad Cat amps, there aren't really that fit all of my guidelines. I'm not ignoring them outright though, the Lil' 15 seems nice. And there is no way I'm anywhere near purchasing something like that Hiwatt, as much as I'd like to.
Last edited by Iceman 420 at Dec 11, 2008,
Another option is to just find a local amp builder and see if he can do a custom job
I don't know about teh Reeves, since it has a Master volume.

I, personally, would go with Reeves, Roccaforte, Matamp, or teh cheapz with an AC15.
Am I the only one that gets an erection at the mention of Budda around here? Well, I would go with the Superdrive, it's amazing and Budda in general makes great mapz.
no
Quote by imgooley
I don't know about teh Reeves, since it has a Master volume.

I, personally, would go with Reeves, Roccaforte, Matamp, or teh cheapz with an AC15.

Yeah, I've been meaning to check out the AC15 for a bit now.
I vote Roccaforte.

as to the guy who said Metropoulos, they don't make 18 watters, lowest powered amp they make is the JTM45.
Quote by al112987
I vote Roccaforte.

as to the guy who said Metropoulos, they don't make 18 watters, lowest powered amp they make is the JTM45.

Yeah, the Rocca seems good. And so does the Brown Note...and the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia...GAH, so many!
Quote by al112987
I vote Roccaforte.

my bad i think i was thinking of ceriatone

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

What about the Bad Cat Classic Cat? Or is it not British-voiced? I have no idea. But I know it is sexy.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
that dr z is friggen killer.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
get a ceriatone 18 watt tmb. the only thing you should be asking the forum now is whether to get a head, 2x12 combo, or 1x12 combo. id suggest 2x12 combo if you can fork out the extra cash for shipping, and wont have trouble carrying 50 pounds. but a head and a 2x12 cab would work as well. i have the 1x12 which is easy to carry and sound isnt a problem because i run it through a PA system.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
get a ceriatone 18 watt tmb. the only thing you should be asking the forum now is whether to get a head, 2x12 combo, or 1x12 combo. id suggest 2x12 combo if you can fork out the extra cash for shipping, and wont have trouble carrying 50 pounds. but a head and a 2x12 cab would work as well. i have the 1x12 which is easy to carry and sound isnt a problem because i run it through a PA system.

Why would he go for the tmb over the regular tone+vol 18watter, as that is exatcly what he wants.

TS. I am actually on the very same simplicity trip as you. Looking for something without all the knobs and dingeys and just pure tone I fell deeply in love with the marshall HW 20watter, Super amp, and the 1974 18 watter is very very great too. But really I'd say get a ceriatone as they are so much more value for money. Havent personally tried the browns, but seem asweet as well.
If youll go a bit over your budget, the tophat club royale at 20watts is absolutely dreamy too( does have an mv and eq though).

I actually really like the VOX ac15 as well, though it gets really too muddy for my liking.

Hope youll find what tour looking for
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by chrisdam
Why would he go for the tmb over the regular tone+vol 18watter, as that is exatcly what he wants.

TS. I am actually on the very same simplicity trip as you. Looking for something without all the knobs and dingeys and just pure tone I fell deeply in love with the marshall HW 20watter, Super amp, and the 1974 18 watter is very very great too. But really I'd say get a ceriatone as they are so much more value for money. Havent personally tried the browns, but seem asweet as well.
If youll go a bit over your budget, the tophat club royale at 20watts is absolutely dreamy too( does have an mv and eq though).

I actually really like the VOX ac15 as well, though it gets really too muddy for my liking.

Hope youll find what tour looking for

Yeah, there are so many choices for 18 watters and such. I was suggested GDS amps and they look might fine.

Thanks, I hope you find what you're looking for as well.
look up clips on youtube. plus, nik at ceriatone is very knowledgeable and helpful. ask him questions he will answer promptly, honestly, and helpfully.

if you want tone its between ceriatone and metro amps, but metro is quite pricey.

ceriatone i think gives you the best bang for your buck.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
look up clips on youtube. plus, nik at ceriatone is very knowledgeable and helpful. ask him questions he will answer promptly, honestly, and helpfully.

if you want tone its between ceriatone and metro amps, but metro is quite pricey.

ceriatone i think gives you the best bang for your buck.

Metro doesn't make any 18 watters and I'm pretty sure that Ceriatone doesn't use the best components (being located in Asia and all), but I could be wrong.

Thanks anyway.
ceriatone uses better components than marshall, i know that for sure. And a reason to take the TMB over the regular 18 watter. The regular 18 watter has two channels, the normal tone and volume one, and the second is exactly the same except with vibrato, similar to a bluesbreaker. most people that i know who have it almost never end up using it. The TMB 18 watter has the normal tone, volume channel a regular 18 watter has, plus a treble middle bass channel that is voiced like a marshall plexi. (at a much lower volume of course). it just gives you a extra kick of tonal versatility. I find myself using the normal tone+volume channel just as equally as the TMB "plexi" channel. or if you want, you can jump the channels and get some new sounds. Also, the TMB channel has a PPIMV master volume if you're in a situation that you cant crank it.

So basically the 18 watt TMB is a normal 18 watter with an added plexi channel with treble middle bass controls. (no vibrato of course).
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
ceriatone uses better components than marshall, i know that for sure. And a reason to take the TMB over the regular 18 watter. The regular 18 watter has two channels, the normal tone and volume one, and the second is exactly the same except with vibrato, similar to a bluesbreaker. most people that i know who have it almost never end up using it. The TMB 18 watter has the normal tone, volume channel a regular 18 watter has, plus a treble middle bass channel that is voiced like a marshall plexi. (at a much lower volume of course). it just gives you a extra kick of tonal versatility. I find myself using the normal tone+volume channel just as equally as the TMB "plexi" channel. or if you want, you can jump the channels and get some new sounds. Also, the TMB channel has a PPIMV master volume if you're in a situation that you cant crank it.

So basically the 18 watt TMB is a normal 18 watter with an added plexi channel with treble middle bass controls. (no vibrato of course).

Yeah, the Ceriatone is actually what I had decided on a bit ago, but after looking through all these other amps and such, I think I could get something better.

And at the moment, I'm thinking about getting the GDS Single Channel 18 watt 1x12 Combo-
www.gdsamps.com

The folks over at the 18 watt forums seem to really like that one, and it's pretty much everything I'm looking for in an amp as well.
Quote by Iceman 420
Yeah, the Ceriatone is actually what I had decided on a bit ago, but after looking through all these other amps and such, I think I could get something better.

And at the moment, I'm thinking about getting the GDS Single Channel 18 watt 1x12 Combo-
www.gdsamps.com

The folks over at the 18 watt forums seem to really like that one, and it's pretty much everything I'm looking for in an amp as well.

looks great! im sure it sounds even better too. bit pricey though. i only paid 1200 for mine. whatever you decide on its a win/win situation
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by imgooley
Another option is to just find a local amp builder and see if he can do a custom job

My thoughts exactly.

I love my new 18W I built, link in sig.
Quote by maiden_mexico

Ceriatones coupling caps, electro caps dont impress me. Their transformers all also pretty terrible from my understanding. They do have great turret/eyelet boards, chassis and layouts.
Quote by kurtlives91
My thoughts exactly.

I love my new 18W I built, link in sig.

How hard was it to build?

I was looking at getting the GDS S/C kit and assembling it myself. I don't have a lot of experience with stuff like that, but from what I've heard, the manuals and such make it easy.
I had built three amps prior to it and forty pedals so it wasn't a big deal at all. No troubleshooting needed on this one.

It is easily the best British sounding amp I have ever player/heard. Its getting better everyday as the speaker and cap's di-electrics are still being broken in.

I don't build kits so I can only imagine they would make things easier. Kits don't always have the best quality though.

What the hell is a GDS S/C kit?
Quote by kurtlives91
I had built three amps prior to it and forty pedals so it wasn't a big deal at all. No troubleshooting needed on this one.

It is easily the best British sounding amp I have ever player/heard. Its getting better everyday as the speaker and cap's di-electrics are still being broken in.

I don't build kits so I can only imagine they would make things easier. Kits don't always have the best quality though.

What the hell is a GDS S/C kit?

GDS is a brand of amps, the one I linked. S/C stands for single channel.

It really is a simple amp. 18 watts, one channel, a tone and a volume. From the specs list, it seems the components are good. Sprage Atom/Orange drop caps, custom transformers, etc.
Quote by maiden_mexico

Hmm that might be argued:P For one they use Dagnall transformers designed specifically to match the originals as much as possible, and they use high quality ibc caps, and at least according to marshall themselves all components come from american or european manufacturers But no doubt about ceriatone being great value for money. They claim to use the best asain parts, so how much difference it makes im honestly not sure

Have you tried the regular 18 watter though? I think you are wrong to classify the eq channel on the tmb as a plexi channel. The amp itself is pure plexi, and the addition of an eq only adds more options to it. options not all might like
I cant remember about the two channels not being different on the 18 watter, but on my 20 watt head, one channel is much darker and breaks up later than the other? I really thought that was the case with the 18 watter as well otherwise the whole idea of 2 channels is kindof absurd
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by Iceman 420
GDS is a brand of amps, the one I linked. S/C stands for single channel.

It really is a simple amp. 18 watts, one channel, a tone and a volume. From the specs list, it seems the components are good. Sprage Atom/Orange drop caps, custom transformers, etc.

If they use Orange Drops that ain't good, you want polyester not polypropylene.

Custom transformers doesn mean a lot....who knows.
If money is a concern buy the Ornage TT. It is the best Brit voiced amp 1000 dollars or less and if you buy this you don't have to risk electrocution when the wires you crossed in your frenzy of soldering short out.
Page 1 of 2