i am trying to play To live is to die by metallica..and in the intro when there is a chord that is

im pretty sure im not the only one that has trouble with this. i can play that chord barring the 7th. when i try to play it the frets seem too small to completely get a good sound off the 12's. Any tips?
Quote by AlskiOverload
? This seems to be a basic barre chord, its just D. Fret across the 10th fret.

yeah but the thing is i cannot make all of the notes sound clean. my fingers are touching strings that arent supposed to be touched by that finger. maybe i just keep practicing it.
Yeah, everyone has had this issue at first. Do you have all of the open chords down? that will at least get your fingers to go where you want them to.
cool thanks. another question, will this chord be able to be played comfortably in a classical guitar once i get the hang of it? without a cutaway ( i think it is called).
Quote by crimson205
cool thanks. another question, will this chord be able to be played comfortably in a classical guitar once i get the hang of it? without a cutaway ( i think it is called).

The 12th fret is manageable, but after that it gets a bit awkward. Plus you'll need a bit more strength to properly play it on a classical.
Yeah, after the 12th, I dont even try, just play octaves by then. Nylon strings might be easier on your fingers.
why then don't you just play...

x

???

or use your thumb to fret the bass note, so you can play the chord without barring
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

yeah i can play open chords. i can also barre F and at 7th position very clean but i cannot seem to get the 10th position...im not going to sweat it much or get angry because i know i will get it in time. i guess thats how every thing in guitar is
Just play an open D chord in its place if you can't make it ring out with the bar version.

x
x

Edit: Yeah, everything with guitar takes time. You'll get it soon enough
Oh metalheads! You never cease to amuse me.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by rustymoore91

x

???

because it doesnt sound the same. thats why?? i can't tell if you were really being serious.
Quote by rustymoore91

x

???

or use your thumb to fret the bass note, so you can play the chord without barring

This, other than you might become dependant on not barring chords.
^ It does sound the same.

Edit: the ^ was at crimson, not the dude who got in before me. Gah, 2 edited posts in a row
Quote by crimson205
because it doesnt sound the same. thats why?? i can't tell if you were really being serious.

they're both D major chords. while they don't sound exactly the same it'll get the general idea of the song across
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by crimson205

Umm, they are the same chord. Unless Im looking at it weird.
Quote by RizzoWashburn

^ what are you implying by this...?

and yeah im sorry about saying that they arent the same chord i really didnt have my guitar with me.
Quote by RizzoWashburn

I'm with you ^^

...TS, what kind of guitar do you have? A $30 Squier Crappinity with 3cm action will make it harder to play that chord.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by crimson205

OK....? I haven't looked at this thread in a while..but apologize now! They are the same...dude, dude...dude... I'm not retarded...*cough*
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.