now before anyone comes here saying things like 'good, that music sucks balls,' and **** like that, I would like to make a disclaimer. I am a hard blues rocker/metalhead, I am only INTERESTED in learning how to write such things, to inject a punkish or poppish 'edge' if you will into my own writing. I already listen to punk music, the Clash, Sex Pistols, Misfits, Ramones, etc... not too much pop though. any hints, tips, suggestions, etc..? they would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
take ten powerchords, arrange them where they sound half decent

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
after you get a good punk tone from your amp and guitar.

then start learning some punk tunes.

They do a lot of down, down, down strokes.. not so much down, up, down, up... and also palm muting.

Hmm, different characteristics of rhythms from verse and chorus.. usually you can indicate very well that theres a verse and chorus.. its not all blah!. ya know?
Sam-Jacob
Quote by david9d5
take ten powerchords, arrange them where they sound half decent

Probably the best way for "punk music"

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Try playing the music of those bands and look for any recurring elements.
Quote by Darkkon
Play American idiot backwards?

i lol'd. i wouldnt be surprised if lots of punk songs were written by doing **** like that . i'm gonna do the 10 power chord thing, with downstrokes + palm muting, diff characteristics for verse + chorus. little breakdowns i'm thinking (power chords). thats after i learn some clash songs

wat about pop?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
I'm not going to bash any of that music - fact of the matter is that I like punk music.

I just dislike the term "pop/punk". It...doesn't exist. The two words Cancel each other out...they simply don't make any logical sense put together. And that's one reason why I dislike pop punk bands...their genre simply shouldn't exist, because the name makes no sense whatsoever.

On top of that, a lot of the pop punk bands sound very similar to each other, and it kind of ruins the whole "music" and "individual" aspect from it. Sure, lots of bands sound similar to others in their own genre, but most credible bands have some element that makes them stand out. Call me ignorant, but I have yet to find that with a lot of the pop-punk stuff...so that apparent lack of uniqueness annoys me. I dunno, feel free to enlighten me.

Anyway, to write pop punk, I'd take a couple of power chords, repeat ad nauseum, and write whatever you want lyrically, as long as you sing like what-his-name from Fall Out Boy.

Wow...that makes me sound like an ass. And makes me sound like I hate the genre. I don't...I just don't understand it, and so I stay away from it.

****, I need to stop babbling.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
i think influence is a priority in any genre, so maybe check out some bands like Leatherface, Dillinger Four, Jawbreaker, J Church, Operation Ivy, or Screeching Weasel for some pop-punk bands, and maybe, well you decide what you'll consider punk after that.

Just try some pop punk first, like what i posted above.
Last edited by dookie_dude_ at Dec 11, 2008,
This thread is full of idiocy and trolls....

In modern pop-punk, what the guitar plays is next to irrelevant. The reason why the guitar accompaniment (learn what this term means) is so simple is because pop-punk isn't about guitar. It's completely about vocals and lyrics. Oh noes, theres a genre of music I can't wank too I guess I'll say it takes no skill to write.

To T/S, learn how to write melodies (classical courses teach this well) and learn how to write lyrics. Than have your guitar play the powerchords of the implied harmony of each bar.
I reckon the chord progressions just have to be powerful. To back up the powerful lyrics and vocals.

Usually one chord progression that lasts 4 bars (one or two chords per bar, or even two bars per chord) and repeats for the verse, another chord progression for the chorus that does the same, maybe another chord progression for a bridge or something.

For a lead part, I like a short repeating lick that repeats over the different chords so it almost sounds like it's changing when it's not. Or follow the chords with a fairly simple melody that targets chord tones.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums