i have an older ibanez bass that keeps cutting out at practice. I've checked the wiring, but everything seems to be connected. it's for sure not the amp or cables. I'm wondering if it could be the pickups or what?
go to a local guitar shop and try a diff amp, order new cables, or maybe its the input, that could also be a problem
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
well...it could be any of those....its probably the cable...check it with another one..if it still does it...you could open up the amp and check that jack/s wiring..if it still dont work..check the pickups...but its probably the cable
Borrow someones cable and see if it works with it. Then you will know if its the cable or a more serious problem.
first thing he said is it's for sure not the amp or cables. it's gotta be a bad connection somewhere. i'd take it in. shouldn't cost too much to find out
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I don't know about the history of basses or anything of the sorts

So the follow might be completely out of the question,
but if you happen to have Active Pick-Ups, the battery might be dead, or close to it.
Its something I never thought of with my bass, and I flipped out thinking something was wrong with my amp or cables, when really I needed to change the battery
=]
Just a thought
Ya i didn't think of that. usually battery death will cause distortion or almost complete loss of sound but every once in a while you get a weird cutting out effect as the batteries about to die. Think of it as a battery with a strong will to live. just won't completely give up.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
mhm, the cutting is especially noticable when you accent on a string, most likely your E on a 4 string, B five etc

If that is the case, make sure your bass is not plugged in if your not using it, drains battery, even if the cable is jus sitting in it.

But yea, I think that could be your issue, just the battery, but then again, idk if your bass even has them?!? lol
If it definitely isn't the lead or amp then you have at least one faulty connection. As it is intermittent it will be a so and so to find; basically it won't go wrong when you are looking for it. In descending order of probability it could be the jack socket, the pots (the variable resistors you use to adjust the vol and tone) switches, soldered joints, coils capacitors resistors.
If you want to fix it yourself then try wiggling each wire and component in turn with the amp on loud enough to hear any changes (but not too loud). Does wiggling the control knobs make the fault appear/disappear if so it is the pots.
The repair shop may well use a freezing spray to find faulty components. This will make one component at a time shrink suddenly opening up any dry joints or broken components. You can buy a spray for about £5 or less in the UK.
Try spraying switch cleaner in the jack socket and inside the pots then plug /unplug the jack a few times and give each of your controls a wiggle.
The components inside your guitar only cost a few pence each so if you can solder then give it a go.

Good luck
I just had a similar problem like that with my ibanez. Actually, I still have that problem. I just ordered a new input jack, hopefully that will solve it.
Not my band, but something you should definitely listen to:
Toast Machine
Quote by darkwolf291
well...it could be any of those....its probably the cable...check it with another one..if it still does it...you could open up the amp and check that jack/s wiring..if it still dont work..check the pickups...but its probably the cable

no. just no

EDIT: active or passive pick ups?
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP