depends on the artists in comparison, but to be a session artist you have to have mastered many different styles of playing, or have to be an icon, like Eric Clapton or Santana.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
a session musician has to be VERY ****ing talented, mainly because they need to be able to play a vast array of styles of music and adapt to whatever atmosphere the main artist is going for
Depends on the band and guitarist you're comparing no?

But in general I'd say studio guitarists are better. They'd have to be.
incredibly, theyre expected to play a piece perfect right away and with the right style
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
People go to music school and either begin teaching or become a 'session' guitarist, instrument pending.
Most mainstream guitarists aren't very good at all...
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
very talented. they can play from pop, to metal, to jazz, to blues, etc. anything that the artist wants should be done by him.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
very... just look at all of GnR's guitarist... all of them are/were session guitarist/... buckethead, bumblefoot, that guy from NIN, and believe me all these guys are amazing players... too much is expected of them and they better deliver.
Quote by abe123
thats one of the funniest posts ive seen in a while... to sig or not to sig

Quote by Kenny77
Awesome.

Quote by Kensai
Probably from india. Most bad things come from there.
Much more talented than mainstream guitarists.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
They usually have to read music, and read it well, have an incredible sense of style and timing and be very clean and efficient. Most of them aren't virtuosos, but they're very skilled none the less.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
They're way fucking better. They have to be pretty much universally versed, as well as damn technically proficient and tight.

Quote by jimmyslashpage
Page was a sessions player.......

I guess there's exceptions
Last edited by synpet713192 at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by srq89
very... just look at all of GnR's guitarist... all of them are/were session guitarist/... buckethead, bumblefoot, that guy from NIN, and believe me all these guys are amazing players... too much is expected of them and they better deliver.

while i agree that all those GnR guitarists are amazing...why did chinese democracy suck then?
Quote by dethead666
while i agree that all those GnR guitarists are amazing...why did chinese democracy suck then?

because chiense democracy is all piano.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by srq89

i like how you don't include slash

Quote by dethead666

Opinion =/= Fact
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by dethead666

because good guitar doesnt equal good music, it takes guitar bass drums vocals and songwriting to make a good album, not just guitar.

plus id imagine that he has to play what the band wants him to play, its not like he has creative control or anything
It's so hard to nail an entire song when you've never heard it before. Hell it's hard to nail songs that you've played for years. By "nail" I mean really play with flawless timing, and to be completely locked in with the other instruments down to the smallest increments within every beat. There is no Beat Doctor or Autotuner for guitar.
We're only strays.
Quote by Babbs
much more talented, i'd believe.

Many are as talented or more talented.

I know a guy who got a scholarship to Eastern Michigan University because he can play guitar very well and can read sheet music. He got a full ride scholarship to be a studio musician. I asked him why he didn't wanna just tear it up on stage and be a rockstar, and he said he might do that but this is much more stable (he'll make money without even having to look for work and he wouldn't have to live on the road).
shut up, multi.

*reported*

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana