Hey guys, quick question here, didn't think there was a specific thread on this

Either way, I play a Schecter Stilleto Custom 4 String, and I've been playing out of a Rumble 100 Fender amp since I started

however, I recently auditioned for this semi pro band, and realized my amp doesn't come close to cutting it, so Ive looked for some gear

I am basically looking for a rig that will carry me through the majority of my career [Im 17, so you figure at least till I'm 25] and a rig that is able to play large scale gigs and so forth

Right now I'm looking at

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-TB600-120VBass-Amp-Head?sku=482906

Fender TB-600 Bass Head

I tried it out today and it booms, i was ecstatic, but How much is enough?

And for Cabs

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-215-PRO-2x15-Bass-Cab?sku=604012

Fender 215 Pro
-------------------------

Any sort of suggestions are really appreciated, I'm looking to spend something close to 2,000 at maximum, as being in High School and holding a not so much above minimum wage job kind of keeps me in check a bit.

Thanks!
$2000 is more than enough for a good rig...there's a ton of options available for you. I'll post some rigs, just for some good examples, but bear in mind that there are plenty more and you can definitely mix n' match. That Fender rig looks very good, if you want to stick with it.

I'm going to keep bang-for-the-buck the priority here.

Carvin BRX1510.4 half stack and BRX10.4 cabinet. 1900W neo stack, $1800.
(Carvin gives the best deal, IMO)

Peavey:Tour 700 or Tour VB-2, with either a Pro 810 (!!!) or Tour 215. Between $1250 and $1850, roughly.

Hartke: Kilo 1000($1K) and HyDrive 810($1K). Expensive, but good lord what a rig that is.

Traynor: 800H($800) or YBA200($880), with two TC115 cabs($400 EA). Again, I recommend different cabs with those heads, though the listed one would do fine.

Gallien-Kreuger: 1001RB-II($750) or Fusion 550($900), with either an 810RBX or a mix of their smaller cabs. Check the features on the Fusion head!

Other stuff:

Avatar Cabs . Awesome stuff at an excellent price...as good as any of these brands.

Tech 21 Landmark 300. Basically two Sansamps attached to a PA...good deal IMO.

Line 6 HD750. I assume it's a POD attached to a power amp...should be good. I'm not a fan of digital stuff bit it seems to work well.

Also, since most of those heads are rack mounted, you should look at some other rack gear. Furman power conditioners are always a good thing to have in the rack. A rack tuner wouldn't hurt, either.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 12, 2008,
I would love to have a Fender Pro rig. I can't afford it, though.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
awesome, thanks for the help,

that is deff reassuring, since this is an area I knew/know nothing about
you are never going to play a gig large enough to need 1900W amps, if you start playing that size venues/arenas your amp will be miced you don't really need any more than 500W.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yea, I got by playing at gigs with a Mic'd rumble 100, and it sufficed, but I'm basically looking to get a pro rig to fit my potential situation.
Otherwise, I plan on holding off until i can put it to better use
But if I find myself running off around 50 gigs in the next 2-3 months, something like that could have some good use.
believe me you won't enjoy lugging a 1900W head and 8x10 or 2x15 cab to that many gigs in that short space
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yeah, I agree.

500W is more than enough. Essentially, the volume of the amps on stage just serves to combat the volume of the drummer/everyone else. You just need something loud enough to hear yourself play. The sound guy will take care of the rest.
Quote by skater dan0
you are never going to play a gig large enough to need 1900W amps, if you start playing that size venues/arenas your amp will be miced you don't really need any more than 500W.

Thought the output is 600 watts into 4 ohms, which for a solid state amp is not unusual.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^ I think they were referring to the Carvin I posted.

Even if you don't need the wattage, that rig still has the best deal...two good sounding, neo(read: lightweight) cabs, a head with awesome options, and excellent build quality on all of it.

That said, I think the GK Fusion has the coolest options.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by .oxygen
awesome, thanks for the help,

that is deff reassuring, since this is an area I knew/know nothing about

I've heard really good stuff about Carvin amps.
I am thinking of buying one of their 600w at 2 ohm combos.

If I had 2k$, I would probably choose the Carvin set up or the GK 1001 set up with a 1x15 and 4x10

By the way, I wouldn't go a buy a $2000 set when this isn't an area you know about...
Quote by gwath42
I've heard really good stuff about Carvin amps.
I am thinking of buying one of their 600w at 2 ohm combos.

If I had 2k$, I would probably choose the Carvin set up or the GK 1001 set up with a 1x15 and 4x10

By the way, I wouldn't go a buy a $2000 set when this isn't an area you know about...
I would always be a little wary about 2 ohms minimum load regarding Bass guitar over a sustained period of low frequency production, it's getting close the limit and where you may get away with it on vocal PA I wouldn't be too happy on Bass; in the past I've seen quite a few amps coocked by being run at high level into 2 ohms.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
I would always be a little wary about 2 ohms minimum load regarding Bass guitar over a sustained period of low frequency production, it's getting close the limit and where you may get away with it on vocal PA I wouldn't be too happy on Bass; in the past I've seen quite a few amps coocked by being run at high level into 2 ohms.

Carvins don't run hot at all...they all have large fans in the back and a decent amount of space inside around the hot portions.
Nope, no sig here.
First off... 2 grand? How do you have that much money? Do you not have a car, or not have a life?

Anyways... I'd agree with everyone who says you don't need more than 500w. I like that GK Fusion head a lot. With that, a good 8x10 (or a 4x10 and a 1x15) cab, you'll be set, and it shouldn't cost more than 1500. Then you'll have another 500 to spend on other stuff! Now that's a deal.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
1900 watss is overkill unless you dont want to bother having to go to the gig, just face it in the right direction. 500-600 will do you fine, Ever thought about trace elliot, great amps.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Go for a GK head like he posted with a 410 cab, either RBH or NEO.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I don't see what the big deal about it having 1900 watts is... It's not like it's a bad thing. I mean sure you don't need it unless you're on a big stage, but even if it was a 600W that's still a good deal for that gear...
Nope, no sig here.
Why not just get a tube head and avatar cab? Unless you don't like tubes it seems like an obvious choice.
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
First off... 2 grand? How do you have that much money? Do you not have a car, or not have a life?

Actually, I'm 17, I have a car which I payed for, [2000 mazda Protoge, nothing special] I pay the majority of my bills [minus insurance], I finance for the most part all the things i do that don't involve food at home etc.
The money I have is from working a lot and being completely honest, having people die... its kinda sad, but true.
Either way, I have a decent amount saved up to be used to expenses such as college and so forth, thus I'm fortunate.
Alongside the fact I make decent money at my job [commission] and Im good at it.

So yea, as for the rig deal, I went into the idea willing to spend up to 2 grand, Do I have 2 Grand to just blow on anything, not really, but I have it nontheless, and music is something I intend to pursue to the fullest.

Thanks to everyone for the advice thus far, I have a better ballpark of where i should be price wise, wattage wise and so forth

You guys are awesome!
Thanks