This year for christmas im going to have a 500$ Budget for something to buy and im planning to buy a peavey windsor 100watt amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-100W-All-Tube-Half-Stack-485059-i1320783.gc im wondering if this is the right thing to buy or is there something better out there for $500 maybe $600.

Gear atm: Ibanez RG5ex1 with installed seymour duncans jazz/tb-4
Squire strat HH
Line 6 75 watt amp.

P.s. if the amp doesent exceed $500 id like to do something with the extra 100-120 dollaras i have id also like a sudgestion on that
What genres do you play?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
what genres do you play
buy a bugera 6260, b52, randall rg50 or a used peavey 6505 and save up for a cab
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Dec 11, 2008,
i play thrash, progressive & neoclassical metal ATM but i just started to take guitar classes (after a year of playing) to start learning some scales and once i start learning the blues scale im going to go into improvising alot with that when i do.
i would try to get an hold of a B-52 AT112.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Last edited by Blacken Seas at Dec 11, 2008,
excuse me, the watts dont matter, its the TONE!!

besidses when you're live with a band, they dont want loud stage vol.

the mic does all the LOUD work. just make sure you get a good tone... screw watts.
Sam-Jacob
its all about the tubes. not the name of the amp or cab.}

You need 6v6's preamp tubes
and EL48's as poweramp tubes NOT EL34's...
Sam-Jacob
sorry for being ignorant im not that smart when it comes to this stuff i havent really gone out there to test stuff to know what im talking about
actually... scratch that,

You want

Pre-amp tubes: 6v6's

Power-amp tubes: EL48, EL84, EL34.

That'll be a great kick ass amp.

You'll have that nice crunchy tones or even clean if you want to lean off that.
And for your thrash, you probably wont need any pedals... just use the natural distortion gain
Sam-Jacob
& you're not ignorant.

You're just saying what you experienced or learned.

so name a band of what sound you want, i may be about to help with a good amp thats not so expensive
Sam-Jacob
id love a megadeth sound i got something close to it on my line 6 but i would love something better
with that amp i can just find myself a nice setting to go along with different bands that i play such as some racer x, petrucci, or some maiden heh
Hm, Maybe a vypyr 75 with a Sanpera II. Clocks in at... $480. Or, there's the Vypyr tube 60, with sanpera 1 (not quite as useful, but the tube 60's got a fully tube power amp and I think tubes somewhere in the preamp) -clocks in at...$530. If you want 400 presets, then get the sanpera II.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Rattlehead334
id love a megadeth sound i got something close to it on my line 6 but i would love something better

To be honest with you, you would not be happy with the Windsor then. I absolutely love my Windsor, but it is not for metal. Great for classic rock and even some lower gain modern rock. I would suggest the Crate Blue Voodoo. You will only be able to buy used but you can pick up for $300-$400 used. It is the amp that Marty Friedman used from Youthanasia until probably Risk. Also I would suggest the B52. Maybe pick up the AT212. It is a 100 watt combo, or if you are set on a head look at the AT100 head. You can pick them up used for about $350-$400 on Guitar Center.
Quote by imsamjacob

Quote by imsamjacob

You want

And for your thrash, you probably wont need any pedals... just use the natural distortion gain

What are you even talking about?

6v6s? Those are power amp tubes. They're smaller versions of 6L6s. I've never even heard of EL48s. EL84s are only really used in amps under 50 watts. They're like lower power versions of EL34s that are fizzier and sound more compressed.

And no, it's not about the tubes that you into the amp, it's about the amp and the amp's voicing. The exact same set of tubes through two different amps that are voiced differently sound much more different than the same amp with two different sets of tubes. Marshalls running 12ax7s and el34 sound completely different from Mesas running 12ax7s and el34s. The tubes are not the most important factor in an amp's tone, the output transformer is, but the overall tone comes from the circuit, how the different components interact and how the amp interacts with the speaker.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by imsamjacob

Quote by imsamjacob

You want

lol what???

Please don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
imsamjacob, you sir are extremely uninformed, uninformed enough for me to call you an idiot.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Wow...just Wow.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Don't get the windsor if you have any desire to play metal. It's nowhere near made for that man.
Yeah, the tubes won't make the Windsor a metal amp. This guy is full of it. lol he has no idea about tubes he's just running off names.