I know nothing about going wireless. I just got in a band and we want ease when we get shows in the coming months. I just want to know everything (relevant) about wireless guitar cables/recievers/transmitters etc. What are good brands? What are the price ranges? Can 2 guitarists use one or do we each have to buy our own bunch of stuff?
Usually you don't get a good wireless system unless you're paying >$300 for it. You usually get two or three transmitters with the receiver.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Its nice to not have cables. But it sucks if a wireless fails (just something to keep in mind. bring spare cables anyway)

Cheap wireless systems really degrade your tone. And you can have more than one person using wireless. You just have to keep in mind the frequencies you will be using before you buy a wireless. Each person has to be on a different frequency
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Peavey Classic 120 power amp
Randall Cab
if you want "ease" in upcoming shows, i suggest not going wireless.
its so expensive to to get a good one, and quite simply they dont sound as good as quality cables.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
agreed. if you are not really moving onstage, and I mean really moving....jumping around like idiots, etc then you should stick with cables
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
Alright..well since we could split it between us we could probably all pitch in, so that wouldn't be a huge deal.

Any suggestions on really good brands? Especially ones that cause the least tonal degradation? (obviously..)
Quote by Pacarazzi
Alright..well since we could split it between us we could probably all pitch in, so that wouldn't be a huge deal.

Any suggestions on really good brands? Especially ones that cause the least tonal degradation? (obviously..)

i dont recommend ever buying something expensive as a band.
our band all pitched in to get some nice JBL monitors, and then when we got signed, the drummer quit and wanted his "share" of the monitors. We had to fork over a few hundred bucks, which meant taking a pay cut for a couple of shows.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
It's not worth it. We are a Shure (some of the best wireless available) dealer where I work, and it is so expensive to get a good one that will last. I'm not sure what shows are like for you where you live, but for my band and I, all the places we play are with other bands, so we end up only playing like an hour, and the venues are so small, and pay so little that a wireless doesn't even make sense, let alone end up being worth it. Line 6's new wireless line may be worth checking out though if you are still serious about it. Give it a while, and if the cables are still a burden, then I guess go for it. On a side note, Death Valley Cables are rumored to make cables with Monster like durability and warranty, but without the tone sucking qualities Monster possesses.
i honestly think its worth it for a really nice unit... when used properly, there is less interference and if a club has bad or questionable wiring, you wont get shocked if some kind of failure occurs. this is more important on the mic to me though.

also, wireless seems to allow you to get a little more compression/output so that it really slams into the amp giving it slightly more gain depending how its setup. not to mention you dont have to deal with wires and tangles and sh*t.

but for the average musician who isnt in a huge band it just doesnt make sense, which is why i dont have one... lol.
Well Enough Alone
If you really want to do it I would recommend staying away from the X2 digital wireless thing. I got the $300 wireless and the transmitter eats batteries up fast and it is not good on your tone at all.

Maybe more expensive X2 stuff is good. But I have no idea. Im not to savy on wireless stuff. I just use it because we move around so much onstage and cant afford the good stuff.
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
I've heard from a guy who does setup and tear down at various audio events, with the change in the U.S. to digital broadcasting in February of 2009, that the digital channels utilized by wireless instrument equipment could very well be taken up by television.

I would put off any wireless equipment until late February just to be safe...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."