im not too good with pedals but from my understanding these allow you to hold a note for a long period of time..
thats about all i kno haha

what other uses does this pedal have?
what is a good one that is not overpriced but good quality?
it makes it so that all your notes sound the same volume,
so you can go from riffs to tapping and not have a volume drop

stuff like that
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
They just sort of make your tone sound more alive, its tough to describe.
Check out some sound samples on musiciansfriend or youtube or wherever.
But it gives it a nice warmer, almost twangy sound, when the sustain isn't cranked.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
Quote by JT747
ok ill check it out..
and what are some that you recommend?

I have a Boss Compression-Sustainer CS-3, so that.
Also, good luck.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
i doubt you need, judging from the fact you dont seem to know what you really want or need.
im not a fan of compression pedals anyway, they cant do anything that i cant do with my own hands.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i doubt you need, judging from the fact you dont seem to know what you really want or need.
im not a fan of compression pedals anyway, they cant do anything that i cant do with my own hands.

The TS doesn't know what they do, so he's asking about them. Don't jump on him because of it.

As for doing anything a compression pedal does with your hands.....I don't think so. It's not a night and day difference, but a compression pedal can definitely "smooth out" and give you a more-defined tone, as well as giving your clean tone a kind of "snap" to it. Basically.....if you're using a compression pedal properly, there's no way you can replicate it with your hands.

And for good compression pedals....the Boss or the MXR Super or Dynacomps are good bets. Check out clips on the internet and try them on your own if you can. Different people have different tone preferences, so choose what YOU like, not what someone tells you.
I think compression sustain pedals have a sort of 'square' and it keeps the volume in that square, if the signal goes out of the square it cuts it down so it stays in the volume square.

I think it just keeps things at the same volume.
I may be wrong.

Digitech used to make one of the X-series. I thought that was rather good. Boss make great ones too.
Basically, a compressor makes loud sounds quieter and quiet sounds louder. It does not necessarily make all of your note the same volume, you still have some dynamics.

It doesn't really sound how you would think it would sound from that description, you really need to try it for yourself.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Keeley 4-knob!!!!
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
a compressor evens out the sound (volume).
can also be used as a (clean) volume boost.
increases sustain giving you natural feedback as note decays.

i have a keeley 4 knob compressor.
it can also be used to trim your output a bit.

i mainly use it for smooth passages with lots of legato and tapping.

does a great job but depending on how/where you're using it, a compressor kills dynamics by reducing the "bite". something to do with the "attack" time of your notes.