I am a beginner having trouble with pinch harmonics, I cannot get the right note. A friend told me to add the edge of my thumb or tip of my index finger of the pick hand to the normal pick attack. I still can't get it to sound right, any suggestions?
Mess around with it for a while and eventually it will come easily. Basically just have your thumb positioned above the pick so it hits the string right after you pick it and then get it away as soon as it touches it so it won't mute it.

There's much better tutorials for this than my explanation. Try youtube and then just mess around a lot and you'll get it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Why no one mention about the place u hit the string?
I found it much easier to get the pinch harmonics if i hit the string at around the neck pickup area.
Quote by hidehide
Why no one mention about the place u hit the string?
I found it much easier to get the pinch harmonics if i hit the string at around the neck pickup area.

probably because the 'sweet spot' on guitars tend to be in different positions
Quote by silvadolla
probably because the 'sweet spot' on guitars tend to be in different positions

When I first try to do pinch harmonics, no one mention that to me..
I keep trying to do that on the wrong spot.. All I thought is picking problem.. at last, about a few months, I found out its becoz of the position of picking..
Pick in different places to get different notes. i have also found that for me \closer to the neck seems to work better.
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
Work out where the harmonics are up there (for open strings) by playing them as natural harmonics, so you know you are in the right place when you try playing pinch harmonics - and they tend to sound easier if you use your bridge pickup.
Thanks for the tips guys. I can start practicing once my power comes back up.
Quote by zhilla
Work out where the harmonics are up there (for open strings) by playing them as natural harmonics, so you know you are in the right place when you try playing pinch harmonics - and they tend to sound easier if you use your bridge pickup.

Full volume and tone on your bridge pickup also helps.
It doesn't hurt to have your gain up on your amp.
Compression helps, too.

If you haven't changed strings in a while, that will make it harder as well.
Dead strings are a bitch to get a pinch out of.