any1 mind telling me what the pros and cons are to either a combo and a half stack. Ive been wanting to replace my line 6 amp for a while now and wondering if i should get a peavey valve king 112 combo or wait a while to get a half stack.
You don't need a half stack, get a combo.

Or wait to get more cash so you can get a better amp.
ಠ_ಠ
Combo amps are easier to move around.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
for a combo, i wouldn't limit yourself to a single 12" speaker. save up whether or not you get a combo or stack.
personally, i would recommend a nice tube with 2 12" speakers or something of the like.
combos can be transported easier, smaller, lighter, etc
stacks are presumably much louder and meant for large gigging locations.

so, combos are good for smaller gigs and practice, while stacks are good for large places/very loud playing.
Combo
pros: usually less expensive but just as good, if you really NEED a stack you're playing big venues
cons: can be really heavy to carry around because the amp and speakers are in one box

Stack
pros: instant penis extension, you can mix/match heads/cabs
cons: expensive
I personally like half stack cause it looks cooler and sounds better and more clear to me. try them both out and see which you like better. remeber half stacks are horrible to carry.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
well if you already have a combo for the bedroom, i would honestly go with the half stack
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
halfstack cabs are closed so they project sound differently than combo amps, which more often than not, are open from the back.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by guitarbite.fire
I personally like half stack cause it looks cooler

this is why people get half stacks
I had a 2X12 combo that weighed over 75lbs..... id rather have them spit up.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by Bristlehead
this is why people get half stacks

Ironically it's also why you're an idiot.

4x12 cabinets sound far different then any combo amp the thread-starter has touched. It's in his best interest to try out both.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Combos suck.

Halfstack or 1/4 stack > tube combo for portability imo.

Most tube combos are heavy as hell, 2x12s are almost as big as a 4x12 cab and are much more awkward to carry.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Combos suck.

Most tube combos are heavy as hell, 2x12s are almost as big as a 4x12 cab and are much more awkward to carry.

agreed. i'd rather move a head and a cab than one really heavy combo. now if i'm carrying my stuff and can only make one trip, that's another story...

it's also nice to be able to leave a cab in your practice space, then keep a smaller one in your room, and just move the head back and forth.
Both have pros and cons, combo should do for any gig but sometimes I wish I had a half stack. (but I do love the combo)
Quote by Rogue Hermit
for a combo, i wouldn't limit yourself to a single 12" speaker. save up whether or not you get a combo or stack.
personally, i would recommend a nice tube with 2 12" speakers or something of the like.

I wouldn't. A 2x12" is much heavier, and in the case of the VK, not worth the extra cash.

Quote by Rogue Hermit
combos can be transported easier, smaller, lighter, etc
stacks are presumably much louder and meant for large gigging locations.

so, combos are good for smaller gigs and practice, while stacks are good for large places/very loud playing.

Not really.
Halfstacks aren't necessarily louder, and combos aren't necessarily more portable. For example, MatrixClaw finds combos heavy.
I can bench press over 300 pounds; a 70 pound 2x12" combo isn't that much to me.

to matrixclaw:
Quote by psychokiller99
halfstack cabs are closed so they project sound differently than combo amps, which more often than not, are open from the back.

This is my particular reason for not wanting a combo, I like the sound of a closed cab and to the best of my knowledge all tube combos have open backs because of heat. Correct me if I am wrong please because it may convince me to go with a combo in the future.
I use a half stack not for the "cool" factor, but for the thump and smoothness that my 4x12 provides.

Combos are not always the best solution, sometimes you can only get the sound you want out of a halfstack.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Combos suck.

Excellent point... which I always forget to bring up. My bassist's combo is a 1x15"... 80lbs. Weighs about as much as my 4x12 speaker cabinet and doesn't have recessed handles... just one on the top lol.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not really.
Halfstacks aren't necessarily louder, and combos aren't necessarily more portable. For example, MatrixClaw finds combos heavy.
I can bench press over 300 pounds; a 70 pound 2x12" combo isn't that much to me.

you can bench over 300? lucky...i'm going for a new max tommorow morning at 245 lbs.
and i want to add that even my RM50 tube combo, which is 60 lbs, feels heavy to lug around longer than 20 ft or so. it might be the way the weight is distributed b/c i'm not a weakling haha. also, if you have a 2x12 with a handle on top (do they make them like that at all?) you could easily carry one piece in each hand. i find that evenly distributed heavy weight between two arms is a helluva lot easier to carry farther distances than less weight on one arm.

also, forsaknazrael, that IS a mog in your avatar, correct? i've always wanted to ask just to be sure....but it reminds me of Cait Sith!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^Yeah, I'm at 320 right now. I mean, yeah, no one wants to carry anything that heavy for long distances - even I have to set it down after a bit.

Also, yes it's a moogle. BTW, the big white thing Cait Sith rides around is a moogle, albeit a huge one. To be exact, this Moogle is Mog, from FFVI.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Dec 12, 2008,