Does anyone on here own an Ibanez ORM-1 or a Jetking? Has anyone played either? I've been interested in the Ibanez Jetking style guitars for a month or two, especially since I'm a Mars Volta fan, and was curious how they played and sounded. These are the models i'm looking at in case you guys are not familiar with them:

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1042&CategoryID=494

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1048&CategoryID=494

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1049&CategoryID=494

All the models seem to have either a single coil pickup or a P-90, which is something i'm after. Plus, since they're all under 500 bucks they seem like good buys. Are they good guitars? I play a variety of music, but right now I've been actively playing more post rock, progressive rock and experimental rock (Pink Floyd, Tool, Opeth, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, ISIS). Basically I need it to give me a really nice clean sound and a good distorted sound. I've got my Hellraiser (soon to have some passive pickups....hopefully) for warmer heavier stuff, so I'd like my next guitar to be a bit brighter and snappier. Are those Ibanez Guitars good choices? Which one would benefit me the most? Obviously, I'd like to play one before I buy it, but Jetkings are hard to find in my area, and I have yet to see an ORM-1 ANYWHERE but on ProGuitarShop's website. So, opinions?
I've heard nothing but good things about the Jetkings, sort of Ibanez's take on the whole noise rock and post-rock guitar. I'd play one if I got the chance if I were in your shows. Just play it through a similar amp so you know what you're getting.

Barring that, for around the same amount you could get a Jagmaster and swap the pups for a pair of humbucker sized P90s to get that feedback and what not.

Jetkings look sweet though, I wish they had one around my neck of the woods. My local GC only stocks the ARC and RG series with one JEM they've had for three years.
The ORM is like a Jaguar with an SG-ish neck. It has a humbucker in the bridge, a JB Jr.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
/\/\

My local guitar center is the same way.

And I am still interested in getting a Jazzmaster and a Tele...eventually. But I wanted to try a guitar that's not used frequently since it seems that lots of noise rock/post rock/etc musicians go for Fenders immediately (which I'm guilty of myself). And I really want to try an ORM if it's like a Jaguar/SG fusion.
at like 300$ each you cant really go wrong with any of them. I would NOT be concerned with the quality, i have a 250$ iceman that plays great, and sounds great.

The choice of pickups should be the biggest decision in choosing though. I can see the humbuckers in the jetking being a little more jazzy with thicker mids, and the ORM a bit brighter from the stacked humbucker.
yea, i was thinking that about the ORM, even though it looks ilke it's all mahogony, since Omar gets a really bright and snappy sound from his guitar (which i'm sure is due in large part to the Orange he's running). and are those actually humbuckers in the jetking? they looked P-90ish but so many manufacturers are just using stacked humbuckers in P-90 shape (like that one goldtop Washburn, the WI66 if I remember correctly).
Quote by RG_FANMAN
yea, i was thinking that about the ORM, even though it looks ilke it's all mahogony, since Omar gets a really bright and snappy sound from his guitar (which i'm sure is due in large part to the Orange he's running). and are those actually humbuckers in the jetking? they looked P-90ish but so many manufacturers are just using stacked humbuckers in P-90 shape (like that one goldtop Washburn, the WI66 if I remember correctly).

Plus the thousands of pedals he has...

I've played the ORM, it's a nice sounding guitar. Only problem I would say is that the solo pick-up restricts you tonally somewhat.
I really like the ORM and the Jetkings.
I wish I could find one lefty, as far as I know ibanez makes them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
If the ORM had a neck pickp it would be on my wish list as of now.

...but too bad

The difference in price between the two? Don't know. Jet Kings do have a neck pickup, they just don't look as good. Worth the add. $200? Maybe.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
i had a jetking 2 for a while, the one with buckers and coil splits. it played very well and sounded good too... i had to get rid cos the misses was getting on my case about the amount of guitars i had. i have played the one with the p90's too and it plays as well as the one with buckers. not sure about the sound as it was not amped but it felt just as comfortable in my hands. nice slimish neck but larger than a strat.
Thank you please.
One thing to note between the ORM and Jetking models is that the ORM has a Shorter Scale length, about 24" I think, as compared to Jetkings' 25.5"

I think Jetkings look great, I've never been able to find one, so I'm not sure how they play or sound, but I've heard alot of good stuff.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk