Page 1 of 2
it really annoys me that gibson and fender never make any new guitar models. both brands, generally called "the best" in electric guitar manufacture, couldnt put out a new model to save their lives.

fender keeps making 57 and 62 reissues, and gibson keeps cranking out les pauls. why are people satisfied with the same thing over and over again? its like theyre just admitting that they can not possibly do any better than they did in the sixties. they should be able to innovate. even the robot guitars are just slight modifications on their most successful models.

its not like playing a guitar from the sixties will make you jimi hendrix. people are obsessed with imitation.

just look at prs, they put out ten new models this year. all the other companies put out new models. gibson and fender should be able too also.

or am i completely wrong?
I have no opinion on this matter.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Whatever sells, they'll keep putting out.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Your looking at it from the wrong angle. From one angle your right. From the angle their viewing, those models have lasted decades, they work, why should they risk losing money on a new model? To use a technology analogy, you could look at it from the OS X view, which is what PRS does. Innovative(they invented built-in wireless. That's damn innovative), sexy, fancy and full of features, many that you don't need. Gibson and Fender are looking at it from the Microsoft viewpoint; Just keep up with modern refinements. It's been fine for pretty much the entire instrument/OS' history, why change it now? And while Microsoft completely failed with Vista, strats, teles, SG's and Les Pauls just are that good, or at least IMO. Their very hard to beat, and PRS manages that, but at the same time their hella' expensive.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I see your point, but I'm a les paul guy forever.

and mustangs, i love the little ****ers
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

So what, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. No one makes you buy them, get over it. Dean were living off the same model for a while there, your not making a fuss over that.
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
dont get me wrong, i like both brands and their guitars, but i dont believe that theyre so good that they are impossible to improve. theyre not like the platonic ideals of what guitars should be.

but i wouldnt trade my prs for a les paul or a strat.
I think they have in the past and none of the new models ever really took off. The original designs are timeless even if you don't care for them. I think they have made new guitars using better methods and such but they always keep the same look. Gibson has toyed with some new versions of older models with the GOTW series. I think if they do change styles they will loose the die hard customers. I my self would love to see some radical stuff from Gibson I doubt Fender would ever stray far off the path.

You have to realized too if they do come up with new models that means new training, tooling and a trial an error period that could cost them more money that they are willing to loose. They make money with what they do best why change it.

John
i get your point, but like that one guy said, dont fix what aint broken! my thing is that yes, everything was better in the 60's. hedrix was alive, the economy was good, cars didnt have usless ECU chips designed seemingly just to piss off do-it-your-selfers like me and none of these usless emo kids with there ****ty music existed yet.... but then again what do i know, ima sophmore in high school lol but yeah i SEVERLY dislike most of everthing built or written past mid 90's but the only excetion to that is guitars cause they are still somewhat cheap, there isnt any plastic bull **** and most have there roots in the 60's! lol idk im just a pissy teenager with something against society... im VERY origional if you couldent tell :P
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Quote by johnro6659
You have to realized too if they do come up with new models that means new training, tooling and a trial an error period that could cost them more money that they are willing to loose. They make money with what they do best why change it.

John
i think that fender could slap a fender logo on any decent looking guitar, and they would sell fine. gibson too. these companies arent about to go under.

prs are doing it with the starla and mira, and they arent nearly as well off as gibson or fender.
they might not come out with completley new names and different looking shapes. But they are always tweaking the small details like the thickness of the neck and stuff like that. Its a business too, they're making what people want. when you think of certain guitars you think of the people who play them. the guitars become as monsterous as the people who play them. if you had a box of cheerios with a sexy person on it and one without one, which would you choose?
Quote by Zugunruhe
just look at prs, they put out ten new models this year. all the other companies put out new models. gibson and fender should be able too also.

Not really.

What is the difference between the Starla, SC250, and SC245 - all some of their "new" models this year, right? Finish, hardware, appointments. If you want to call each of those a "new model," then the Les Paul Classic, Les Paul Supreme, Les Paul Studio, 2008 Standard, BFG, and Traditional were/are seperate models as well.

PRS are working from templates of sorts, just like Gibbon and Fender. At the moment, they're just making the most out of past success as well, apart from a few things like the SCJ Thinline.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I would love to see fender chuck out some new stuff, i just hope that if they do, it aint the ugly wierdo carve top pickgaurdless strats or somthing, it's gotta look classic, and yes, i agree with fellow sophmore pissy teenager above, well two above now.

yeah, some new stuff would be cool, but i would still rather have a tele... or a stang.... or jaguar.... or a jagstang... or a strat... or a telejagmuststrat.... lol
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Quote by amcrambler
yeah, some new stuff would be cool, but i would still rather have a tele... or a stang.... or jaguar.... or a jagstang... or a strat... or a telejagmuststrat.... lol

You know what I would really love to see from Fender? A V guitar.
Quote by Flying Couch
Not really.

What is the difference between the Starla, SC250, and SC245 - all some of their "new" models this year, right? Finish, hardware, appointments. If you want to call each of those a "new model," then the Les Paul Classic, Les Paul Supreme, Les Paul Studio, 2008 Standard, BFG, and Traditional seperate models as well.

PRS are working from templates of sorts as well. At the moment, they're just making the most out of past success as well, apart from a few things like the SCJ Thinline.
how can you say that the starla isnt new? its completely different than their others. same with the mira. even if you group their guitars together, they have more models than fender:

typical prs solidbody ce, cu, american eagle, mccartney
the 513
the singlecuts
the mira
the starla
the hollowbody
the semihollowbodies

not to mention the se models.
Well as for the topic...
Why should they come up with new stuff? I mean... it's kind of like a trademark...

Now newer companies... they should come up with something new.
It would be cool for both Fender and Gibson to release some new guitars. Innovation is good even for legends.
It also has to do with tradition. I'm sure if Fender put out some Tele with Blackouts, 24 frets, an OFR and such, though it may be the dream of quite a few people, there are a lot more that'll be complaining that it's a monstrosity and it should be killed with fire.

But yeah, as everyone else has put it, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Quote by Iceman 420
It also has to do with tradition. I'm sure if Fender put out some Tele with Blackouts, 24 frets, an OFR and such, though it may be the dream of quite a few people, there are a lot more that'll be complaining that it's a monstrosity and it should be killed with fire.

But yeah, as everyone else has put it, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
they can have both traditional models and new models. not everyone has to agree with every guitar they put out.
Quote by Zugunruhe
how can you say that the starla isnt new? its completely different than their others. same with the mira. even if you group their guitars together, they have more models than fender:

Not being a big Fender guy, I'll keep my rebuttal to Gibsons if I happen to need to draw comparisons.
Quote by Zugunruhe
typical prs solidbody ce, cu, american eagle, mccartney
the 513

Nope. These go together. Far as I can tell, the 513 is just a generic PRS double cutaway with wacky electronics.
Quote by Zugunruhe

the singlecuts
the starla

You've alread voiced your opinion on this, but from my view, new electronics, hardware, wood, etc., do not a new guitar make. It's no more different from the others than the Les Paul Junior is from a Les Paul Standard.
Quote by ZUGUNRUHE
the hollowbody
the semihollowbodies
the mira

No arguments here.
Quote by Zugunruhe
not to mention the se models.

What about them? Aside from the semi-hollows, are they really that distinguished from their American-made counterparts?
Last edited by Flying Couch at Dec 11, 2008,
I'd actually say that Fender and Gibson have been pigeonholed into those few models and their variations by the public. By now, the images of those companies are so solidified as being Tele/Strat/Les Paul/335 that if they came out with something different they would be ignored or just not noticed. I know I'm guilty of raising eyebrows at Fender's issuing of Strats with Floyd Roses and EMGs, and wondering why they'd do that to a Strat. If someone wants a metal guitar, they'll go to Ibanez or Jackson or ESP, and I think Fender and Gibson know that.
no
ok, ok. you dont like PRS. we get it.

i love my CE22. different strokes.

do you have something relevant to contribute?
Quote by Zugunruhe
ok, ok. you dont like PRS. we get it.

i love my CE22. different strokes.

do you have something relevant to contribute?

...what? My main guitar is a PRS Singlecut. I love PRS. What I don't like is the fellation the company is given by many.
Quote by Flying Couch
...what? My main guitar is a PRS Singlecut. I love PRS. What I don't like is the fellation the company is given by many.
then whats your point? at least theyre being slightly more innovative than fender or gibson.
Quote by Zugunruhe
then whats your point?

Just browsing through and pointing out what I believe a bad example. What's wrong with a little debate and discourse? It's not like I'm out to get you or something.
Quote by Zugunruhe
at least theyre being slightly more innovative than fender or gibson.

Not being a Fender guy, I will once again stick to Gibson when I say: not really. Maybe a little, but not really. Gibson's had the Robot Guitar, and the Dark Fire - the latter of which does not impress me (and Fender seem to have something similar), and the former is too costly for me to justify, but hey, they're new - and PRS' last big innovation was the 513. Which I will grant does have what may be the neatest pickup system ever designed.
you just seem to want to p*ss and moan about Fender & Gibson. Have you not noticed most of PRS' stuff is either double cut or single cut, gee wonder where they got the idea for them. Maybe instead of critisizing them, maybe you should thank them for all that they have contributed to guitar.
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
Quote by Besa-Moogie
you just seem to want to p*ss and moan about Fender & Gibson. Have you not noticed most of PRS' stuff is either double cut or single cut, gee wonder where they got the idea for them. Maybe instead of critisizing them, maybe you should thank them for all that they have contributed to guitar.

in all seriousness:

what have they done for us lately? their last big innovations were in the seventies.

and flyingcouch, how can you discount the mira and starla? theyre a completely different aproach to the flame maple, dipped in glass, normal prs guitars.
I hate to say it, but all those classic models are as good as they're cracked up to be. That goes for Fenders and Gibsons alike. The Strat and Les Paul are basically the two foundations on which all the other companies came from. Each of them putting their own spin on those designs.

Sure there are also new shapes and the like, but most companies have Superstrats, or LP variations of their own. I hate to drive the point home, but if it ain't broken...
Gibson.
I only agree with the TS because what's wrong with a little creativity? What is wrong with them creating a new design? I understand that LP's, tele's and Strats will always have their appeal, but it would be cool if either Fender or Gibson tried some new things...
They keep making new versions of the same Models because they are the best models they make and have been for the past 50+ years, If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
They should make a turtle shaped guitar named Swimmy. And just to be extra innovative, it will have a styrofoam body so it can float more better. Completed with a small motor driving a little propeller attached to the headstock. "Perfect for the musical water skier on the go!" Of coarse it'll be dead sexy for playing the surf guitar.
Dont try to fix what isnt broken, Ibanez's major models have ALWAYS been RG and S so its the same with any company really
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
they already produce almost perfect models in many people's opinions, why would they waste resources coming out with another one?

And the many signature models that gibson and fender produce probably make up for the lack of new models, the sig strats are pretty neat, and not to outrageous of a price.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
The uhm lets say "legendary" status of these guitars is what makes them such great sellers.I'm a predominately metal guitarist but when I see a nice strat or LP I always think to myself "Damn,that's nice".These companies are ingrained in music culture,I don't know about all of you but when I think guitar I picture a strat or LP hooked up to an old Marshall,it's just a timeless image that we all recognize.Not to beat a dead horse or anything but when you've had decades of success with the same system why change it? The models they've made that are different seem to get poor reviews from what I've seen.
just pointing out
gibson tried to do "radical" and came out with the reverse v and reverse explorer so we may be better off with the les pauls and sgs they put out already
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Fender own Jackson, so in a way they aputting out new guitars. If fender made a new with fender on the headstock and it were ****, it would lower there value.
Quote by Zugunruhe
it really annoys me that gibson and fender never make any new guitar models. both brands, generally called "the best" in electric guitar manufacture, couldnt put out a new model to save their lives.

fender keeps making 57 and 62 reissues, and gibson keeps cranking out les pauls. why are people satisfied with the same thing over and over again? its like theyre just admitting that they can not possibly do any better than they did in the sixties. they should be able to innovate. even the robot guitars are just slight modifications on their most successful models.

its not like playing a guitar from the sixties will make you jimi hendrix. people are obsessed with imitation.

or am i completely wrong?

PRS is essentially a les paul clone which is changed enough to not get sued... what can you do to change the design? make em pointy? done it. do the bodies backwards? done it.

if you have an idea maybe it is time to set up in business... you might be the next big thing!
Thank you please.
It's called business sense.

At the moment they have the two best sellers in the market and have done so for the past few decades.

They are known for those designs and people who like those types of guitars know exactly what they are going to get and there are enough variations to keep the hardcore fans happy.

As someone else said, would Fender/Gibson fans buy a metal style F/G?
No, probably not and metal fans would stick to Ibanez/ESP/Jackson, etc.

They would be entering a whole new marketplace and it would be a huge risk.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Actually Gibson have been putting out a few new models, including a les paul with a Floyd Rose

But yeah, they don't put out half as many as other companies, and I haven't seen a new fender in ages
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Page 1 of 2