So, I got some EMG's installed yesterday...85 for the neck and 81 for the bridge. Now, My old pickups were the stock Gibson Explorer ones and I usually play my amp at about 3 or 4 (Fender blues jr.) and it is pretty loud. But once i played my EMG's through it i have to turn it up yo about 5 or 6 to match the volume of my old passive pickups. I don't really understand since EMG's are supposed to be REALLY loud. Any have some ideas?

-EDIT- My 85 is a lot louder than my 81, and i would say it's as loud as my old bridge pickup.

Thanks
~Eric
Are the pickups really low? Maybe raise them?
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
It could be the way the guitar is wired. I have the same set and My Seymour Duncans are the Champ when it comes to being loud.

I'd also Check the height on them.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
bad batterys?
low volume on guitar?
Why are you playing EMG's with a blues Jr.?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
bad batterys?
low volume on guitar?
Why are you playing EMG's with a blues Jr.?

Batteries are fine
Volume is all the way up
I don't have the money for a $1500 tube amp.
Quote by WalrusOfWar
So, I got some EMG's installed yesterday...85 for the neck and 81 for the bridge. Now, My old pickups were the stock Gibson Explorer ones and I usually play my amp at about 3 or 4 (Fender blues jr.) and it is pretty loud. But once i played my EMG's through it i have to turn it up yo about 5 or 6 to match the volume of my old passive pickups. I don't really understand since EMG's are supposed to be REALLY loud. Any have some ideas?

-EDIT- My 85 is a lot louder than my 81, and i would say it's as loud as my old bridge pickup.

Thanks
~Eric

don't you mean 81 in the neck, and 85 in the bridge?
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by SlashYourFug
they're much lower output, so they have to be placed closer to the strings than a passive pickup would.

Well i think they are as high as possible...ill check and post back
I think EMG's do good blues.

They're good enough for David Gilmour.

anyways...with a 15 watt tube amp..The difference is not always very noticeable.

If you had a 75 watt amp..i bet you there would be a huge difference in quality
of sound. I have a 100 watt tube amp and Passives can really beat up a set of Actives when you play on one.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
I think EMG's do good blues.

They're good enough for David Gilmour.

anyways...with a 15 watt tube amp..The difference is not always very noticeable.

If you had a 75 watt amp..i bet you there would be a huge difference in quality
of sound. I have a 100 watt tube amp and Passives can really beat up a set of Actives when you play on one.

agreed. only real downside is chords, but thats were my $60 mid 80's HSS Jackson Charvel comes in also not a bad blues guitar
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
EMGs arent massively loud. Many high output passives will be louder. I dont have to adjust volume when going from my low output p90s to my guitar with EMGs.
Quote by fli.pansy

85s usually go in the neck, 81s in the bridge.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Could be a bad wiring job. Set the 81 in the bridge as close to the strings as you can. The magnets in EMG's are weak so they don't affect the string vibrations as much as a passive would that close. Once you do that then adjust the 85 in the neck to level out the volumes. The 85 should be lower then the 81. Strings vibrate more in the neck position thats why the 85 is louder. As for them being quieter then your passives like I said might be your connections. Check all wires and make sure you soldered them correctly and you didn't make any cold solder joints. Also make sure you put in a brand new battery, that could be another possibility.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by cohen5250
85s usually go in the neck, 81s in the bridge.

really? i always thought it was the other way around. that's interesting
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Stock Explorer pickups are very hot themselves, I never get why people want to change them to EMGs in the first place. It's such a waste

But! The EMGs don't necessarily need to be louder than the old passives. So nothing to worry about just turn the amp up higher man
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by fli.pansy

. I remember when I used to get them the wrong way around
''85 is a bigger number so it must have more gain!''
Bad battery or bad wiring, I guess.
Try a new battery. If that fails, take it into a guitar shop to get it looked at.
Member of the Laney Cult
try raising the neck pickup (or whichever u said is soft)

but my sd blackouts are heaps louder than my emgs. *shrugs*
I have the exact same problem and its always bothered me. I got a schecter tempest and it came with duncan designed hb 101's and i figured i could buy emgs and get them installed and it would be like a hellraiser but i was wrong. the 81 in the bridge is so quiet and the notes just die if i move my finger at all. the 85 is awesome in the neck but when i switch it sounds like crap. I got the pick ups special ordered at welch music and installed there to. He charged me $150 to put them in and i think he did it wrong. Ive tryed putting in a new battery and putting the pick up closer but it hasnt mattered at all, it is still weak and muddy. Do you think maybe he didnt put the pots in that came with the emgs? I dont know much about pots but im pretty sure the ones that came with the emgs came with them for a reason. Im thinking about just selling the emgs and getting seymour duncans. I have another schecter that has a seymour duncan p-rail in the bridge and a seymour duncan pearly gate in the neck and it sounds amazing. I think i should have just done that in the first place.