So, to start off...I'm new here. Anyways, I've been working on this one composition of mine for a few months now and I've hit a rut. The song is in D Major, and I've kinda got a verse part, but I was wondering is there anyway to get from the chord progression, "G Bm Em Em" back to a Dmaj without using Amaj that doesn't sound choppy? Any tips or words of wisdom would be appreciated...
Well, hmm, let me try it out...give me a few minutes. I'll see what I can do. Chromatics?? How so?
Hmm...ok so I tried it. Idk, I'm just having difficulties...I came up with the first chord progression and a solo and riff all on this one chord progression, but I'm having trouble coming up with a verse or anything else for that matter. Idk, I was thinking of my girlfriend when I wrote it and I want to finish it for her....
Keep struggling until you get it. It's what all true musicians do!

Also: Chromatic scales = Not a good idea for a song about your girlfriend.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Good point, I wondered...although I did use that idea in the original compostion, I went from B to Bflat...yeah...it sounded cool and it fit my riff. Thanx for the insight. I will defnitely continue working on it.
Chromatics sound good.

My suggestion is this: After you finish with Em, play an Eb7 (Eb9 or anyother altered dominant could work as well) as a passing chord before you play your Dmaj. Eb7 is actually the tritone sub to Amaj, so it resolves just as well but sounds completely different.

So your progression looks like:
Gmaj Bm Em Eb7 Amaj Xmaj/min and so on

I'd also suggest that you change that Bm to a B7. It leads bit better to Em, although it doesn't have the same feel as Bm.

To me that progression sounded jazzy so I gave a jazzy suggestion.
How does Em - D sound 'choppy'?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
How does Em - D sound 'choppy'?

Because the harmonic movement sounds choppy because of the preceding chords (G and Bm)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Why does G Bm Em D sound choppy then?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums