I am 13, and I play Progressive/Jazz Metal/Death Metal, and I want to start a band. The thing is, no one likes metal or can play at my age. Either that, or the songs I write are too hard for them. I really want a band, but can't find one. How can I start one????
Internet, newspaper. For your style, you're going to be working with older musicians until people around you want to start something. Age is irrelevant with music though; it's all about your skill level.
Find people who can play and like to play your style of music, and who also desire to be in that kind of band.

Talk to people, network, post ads.

/thread.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You find people who are willing to play with you.

Without other members, there is no band.

So, get looking for people!
Quote by Øttər
Find people who can play and like to play your style of music, and who also desire to be in that kind of band.

Talk to people, network, post ads.

/thread.

But isnt that how people get raped??? They meet someone oof the internet and meet them in real life??? Or am i being paranoid......
im 13 too and i found it fairy easy. just talk to ppl and go around askin others.thats how i got my band.my second band i started wit my bass-playin cuzin so u could talk to relatives
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Quote by bulletrocks522
But isnt that how people get raped??? They meet someone oof the internet and meet them in real life??? Or am i being paranoid......

They're more likely to just not take you seriously...

If you're worried about it though I'd suggest having a parent or older friend go with you.
Quote by bulletrocks522

just eat 27 chalupas with fire sauce the day before you meet em then when they try something **** your pants
post vids of you playing and get the word around that ur looking to join/make band. thats what i did and now i play lead
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quote by huevos
Well usually people around age 21 are the key to good bands
Because you can gig at bars.

But I've seen many famous 18-20 year olds.

Try craigslist.
and include samples of your music.

And the songs you compose aren't insanely impossible to play are they?
or. can you play them?

Check the song in my sig, I can play that, though its probably the 2nd easiest song Ive composed. I usually get bored playing that one.
Buy a drum set and put it in your house/playing area. Talk to your buddies at school and find people that already play OR encourage those who dont and try to get them interested. If you find a drummer or someone who is interested, then it makes it a lot easier in the fact that you already have a drum set ready to go. Lastly, dont be picky. Play a little of what you want to play and a little of what your friends want to play. Also, drink a lot of beer and smoke a lot of pot.
Quote by bulletrocks522
I am 13, and I play Progressive/Jazz Metal/Death Metal, and I want to start a band. The thing is, no one likes metal or can play at my age. Either that, or the songs I write are too hard for them. I really want a band, but can't find one. How can I start one????

Now, theres yer problem right ther. Seriously though don't look for people your age look for people who want to play, play good, and can play at least once a week.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Well.. You could write not-so-technical songs. As a beginning.. Personally, i like simple music the best - you can make loads of awesome songs without the use of overp0waaar skillz.

Just look at Manowar xD Simple ****.. rocks. Aye.

Anyway. At age thirteen it's hard, so maybe you should just try and play jam sessions with the not-so-brilliant musicians you know, and just move on from there.. Skills does not have to define everything. It might just work out. If not, it'll be hard with adds and stuff, since, honestly, most people won't play with a guy who is merely thirteen years of age.

Maybe you could put up some notes in your local music shop and stuff, where you explain your age, visions and needs. Skilled players around your age might drop by the music shops.. They usually do... to sit and piss us off with eruption xD Hehe. ANyway. Good luck in your search nonetheless.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
My suggestion would be to not form a band that plays the kind of music you want YET. Wait until you're older to get into that scene and just have fun with your friends till then, just don't take it too seriously. Any music you play will seem 100 times better to you, because you're the ones playing it!
Dude, I've seen your youtube videos you rock man. If you lived in my area I would start a band with you But yeah, I have the same problem
wtf is jazz metal?? besides a oxymoron.
ps. TS, how do you like your Boss BR-600?? I was thinking of getting one for xmas, could you give me a quick review please? lol
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Last edited by MOOSE_CCR99 at Dec 16, 2008,
im in the exactly same situation except i live 20 Km from anything/anyone and everyone i know there are complete douchebags that i hate that also hate me or they like music like i kissed a girl and stuff like that so they dont like any music i would ever in my life play. the nearest place i maybe could find someone who have any musical talent at all is 100 Km away so...
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
ps. TS, how do you like your Boss BR-600?? I was thinking of getting one for xmas, could you give me a quick review please? lol

Jazz-fusion metal is stuff like Atheist and Cynic. Emerged around the early 90's from tech-death stuff.
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99

Between the Buried and Me

I refer to the band as Progressive Death Jazz

By the way, I have a friend in Michigan who adores stuff like yours, I just heard it and it was very good.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Last edited by shadesofanger at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by shadesofanger
Between the Buried and Me

I refer to the band as Progressive Death Jazz

By the way, I have a friend in Michigan who adores stuff like yours, I just heard it and it was very good.

I refer to them as Adult Contemporary Progressive Jazz-Fusion Death Metal.
Your way is easier
Quote by JakdOnCrack
I refer to them as Adult Contemporary Progressive Jazz-Fusion Death Metal.
Your way is easier

Amazing
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
I'm 15 and I can't find another guitarist on my level (not to be arrogant, it'd be nice to have a Gilbert/Bouillet style duo) it sucks because I can't jam with older musicians because I'm apparently going to get raped/robbed.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I'm 15 and I can't find another guitarist on my level (not to be arrogant, it'd be nice to have a Gilbert/Bouillet style duo) it sucks because I can't jam with older musicians because I'm apparently going to get raped/robbed.

Which part of Sydney are you?
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Son of a bitch I know exactly were you are coming from. I play the same music(Im 21 though) and nobody can/does play jazz/death metal. It sucks, I know. I have found one person in 4 years but he was too much of a druggy.