As my band is getting ready to record our first EP, I have been thinking more and more about my skills on the respective instruments I play and the rig that helps me create my sounds. Also, as somebody who's willing to put quite a lot of effort into music, I decided that it's about time that I have more efficient/more professional gear.

Basically, as musicians, we play at least one instrument and as such, we've probably tried out a wide array of different gear/heard about gear mentioned from a friend or recommended from somebody on the internet or whatnot. But, out of all the products out there, what's good or not?

Firstly, I'll just say that about 2 years ago I got a Prestige RG and replaced the stocks with a PAF Pro in the neck slot and X2N in the bridge and I've been fairly happy with the sound. The PAF Pro gives very smooth tones, but the X2N is a little too harsh for the sound I'm going for.

For pedals, the used Boss GT-8 is proving a bitch to master, but seems like a worthwile little tool overall.

About a year ago I got a Peavey 4x12 Cab and a Randall RH150 Head and I'm not so happy with the head. I have to turn the bass below 3 because at volumes louder than 1, the bass dominates all of the sound coming out of the cab. It really pisses me off and I think I'll get some other Head. Anyone know of a decent, affordable one?

Lastly, with my drum set, I'm really, really starting to hate my pedals. DW 4000 series doubles. The slave pedal is much less responsive than the leading pedal by a lot even when the tension is all the way down. Pedalboard height off the ground isn't adjustable. Beater length from head isn't adjustable at all, and is at least twice or three times as far as other pedals I've seen. The stock beaters are also damn heavy. So overall, this makes it very difficult to keep up bass rolls. Hell, it's hard to keep up a steady beat since the slave pedal is so behind.

Basically I tried DW 5002's and they're infinitely more bouncy and responsive. Much smoother, and I believe you can actually adjust beater distance, pedalboard height, etc. And now I am deliberating whether it makes more sense to get the 5002's or a pair of Iron Cobra PowerGlides or Axis XL2/AL2s. Or even something different entirely.

Feel free to discuss your rig issues. Or perhaps how awesome your gear is.
I've found Jesus
I'm not nearly good enough for my rig haha.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by stevenpollock
I'm not nearly good enough for my rig haha.

Some people aren't, but that's ok. Sometimes it's a pricy luxury to have great gear but only be a casual player. But still, I find that with better gear, you have a much bigger incentive to keep learning, while as I know plenty of people with **** gear who have quit as a result. For myself at least, I got bored with ****ty tone until I got a better setup. So it rekindled/revitalized my interest in playing.

As well, I know plenty of people say that your skill has nothing to do with your gear, but the truth is that gear matters quite a bit. Sure, if you're a great musician, it doesn't matter how crappy the instrument you're playing on is, but it sure helps if what you're playing on/with is comfortable to you. I know that if I pick up a low end Les Paul with some Heavy Fender pick, it's going to sound much ****tier than using a Jazz III on my RG. Same with drum pedals. I have much more control on the dw 5000's than with mine.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
But still, I find that with better gear, you have a much bigger incentive to keep learning

Quoted for truth.

When I got my first tube amp, actually not that long ago, it really brought back the "need" to play.
Quote by Contraband
Some people aren't, but that's ok. Sometimes it's a pricy luxury to have great gear but only be a casual player. But still, I find that with better gear, you have a much bigger incentive to keep learning, while as I know plenty of people with **** gear who have quit as a result. For myself at least, I got bored with ****ty tone until I got a better setup. So it rekindled/revitalized my interest in playing.

As well, I know plenty of people say that your skill has nothing to do with your gear, but the truth is that gear matters quite a bit. Sure, if you're a great musician, it doesn't matter how crappy the instrument you're playing on is, but it sure helps if what you're playing on/with is comfortable to you. I know that if I pick up a low end Les Paul with some Heavy Fender pick, it's going to sound much ****tier than using a Jazz III on my RG. Same with drum pedals. I have much more control on the dw 5000's than with mine.

Yeah I agree with you. I am a working musician who joined a new band almost a year ago and so I do play enough for what my instruments deserve, but I feel like there's so much potential in my instruments that don't get used. For instance, my 335 sounds AMAZING for any sort of jazzy/bluesy kind of thing. Yet, I don't even know a blues scale. Although I am 100% self taught, I still try to play it. And my Mesa Dual Rectifier; I'm not a metal player. That thing has never had a sweep pick through it's sweet speakers! For a long time I played my Les Paul or my Explorer through my Mesa and was never satisfied and was always looking for a new guitar or a new amp, but for some reason when I got my 335 all I did was write. I feel its helped me develop my style as an original artist a bit more. I have an acoustic background and there's just something inspiring about a hollow body. I feel like a better player, it's awesome!

w00t for pointless raves!
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Guitar pickups.
I'd say a pair of Seymour Duncan JB/59 or JB/Jazz
They get heavy but seem to keep it clean.
Not to gritty or harsh

But definitely try before you by there.

The GT-8 seems good
Although a
Distortion Pedal>EQ Pedal>"Effect" Pedal>Noise Gate
Set-up would be better
But the GT-8 is more cost efficent
Just as long as it has some EQ control's on it?

My Boss ME-50 lacks the EQ control (Well it just has bass control)
And I'm thinking about selling it just because of that.

Bass pedals..
Not really a drummer
But my brother has a pair of DW5000's
I can say I very much approve of those

Oh the head.
Hm, what's your price range on that?
Quote by huevos

Oh the head.
Hm, what's your price range on that?

400-600 ish. If something is above my price range, I always try to consider it in case it's worth saving up for. Like I did with a PS2 back in the day
I've found Jesus
Quote by huevos

Now, keep in mind that I head the combo version, but I would strongly advise AGAINST getting a valveking if you want metal tones. It's actually got a really nice clean channel, but in terms of distortion, it's got a really nasty mid range sound that I just didn't like at all. Maybe with good speakers and some different tubes it would be a good option, but I think overall there's a lot better choices for metal tones.

I got a used 5150 that's served me pretty nicely. It's got a crap clean channel, but the voicing on the lead channel is really badass. I guess that's why ever band under the sun has recorded with them. I'm gonna get it retubed/repaired and modified at FJA mods pretty soon. It's gonna be a while before I get the cash though, which blows.

tl;dr--don't get a valveking for metal tones
Quote by Contraband
As my band is getting ready to record our first EP, I have been thinking more and more about my skills on the respective instruments I play and the rig that helps me create my sounds. Also, as somebody who's willing to put quite a lot of effort into music, I decided that it's about time that I have more efficient/more professional gear.

Basically, as musicians, we play at least one instrument and as such, we've probably tried out a wide array of different gear/heard about gear mentioned from a friend or recommended from somebody on the internet or whatnot. But, out of all the products out there, what's good or not?

Firstly, I'll just say that about 2 years ago I got a Prestige RG and replaced the stocks with a PAF Pro in the neck slot and X2N in the bridge and I've been fairly happy with the sound. The PAF Pro gives very smooth tones, but the X2N is a little too harsh for the sound I'm going for.

For pedals, the used Boss GT-8 is proving a bitch to master, but seems like a worthwile little tool overall.

About a year ago I got a Peavey 4x12 Cab and a Randall RH150 Head and I'm not so happy with the head. I have to turn the bass below 3 because at volumes louder than 1, the bass dominates all of the sound coming out of the cab. It really pisses me off and I think I'll get some other Head. Anyone know of a decent, affordable one?

Lastly, with my drum set, I'm really, really starting to hate my pedals. DW 4000 series doubles. The slave pedal is much less responsive than the leading pedal by a lot even when the tension is all the way down. Pedalboard height off the ground isn't adjustable. Beater length from head isn't adjustable at all, and is at least twice or three times as far as other pedals I've seen. The stock beaters are also damn heavy. So overall, this makes it very difficult to keep up bass rolls. Hell, it's hard to keep up a steady beat since the slave pedal is so behind.

Basically I tried DW 5002's and they're infinitely more bouncy and responsive. Much smoother, and I believe you can actually adjust beater distance, pedalboard height, etc. And now I am deliberating whether it makes more sense to get the 5002's or a pair of Iron Cobra PowerGlides or Axis XL2/AL2s. Or even something different entirely.

Feel free to discuss your rig issues. Or perhaps how awesome your gear is.

If you're not happy with a harsh tone in the bridge, then go for something like an SH-5. I used to use those in my bridge before I got Screamin' Demons and they had a very thick, bassy sound with really nice sustain, the distortion is also great but you might want to go get them tweaked to amp up the distortion just a bit, but not too much or you'll start getting rawer and losing thickness quality.

Also, I've used a Boss GT-8, it's good I guess but I personally hate Multi FX pedals, they drive me nuts. Everything I've got is singles, you pop on a noise gate and an equalizer and you're pretty much set. But if you can figure out the GT-8 perfectly like you want it, I'd say go for it.

I've never tried DW-5002's but my old drummer used Iron Cobras and I honestly can say he never complained about them once.

I'm actually having problems at the moment with my neck pup. I need to get it tweaked for less raw distortion, and better sustain, and hopefully I can get the tone to be a little less bassy but thicker as well.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Ibanez RG1570 - pretty damn good, although it's difficult to tune down because of the floating trem... which I barely use anyway

Crafter Electro-Acoustic Mandolin - fulfils my folk metal needs. not great, but having a pickup also means I can put fuzz, delay etc on it, which is always cool.

Laney AOR 30W combo - one hell of an amp. basically a marshall clone, but with much more gain, and a little fuzzier. great for classic rock, classic metal, thrash, black and doom. planning to get a digitech bad monkey OD to boost it for brootalz.

Artec Analog Delay - awesome for adding a bit of psychedelia to my sound.

In the future, I'd either like a 5150/6505 or one of those Kerry King Marshalls Also getting a little fender amp for cleans and a fixed bridge guitar for downtuning this summer
^Schwing. Tune-o-matics ftw.

**** tremolos. Yeah, I said it.

I guess I should post about my gear. Well, my current set-up is:

Ltd. EC-400 with dual 81's
5150 head
Carvin 4x12 with GT12-75's
ISP Decimator
and sometimes an Ibanez TS-7

This coming year I'm gonna really try to upgrade my stuff though. I'm gonna get an acoustic first, not sure what. After that, I'm gonna get the head retubed and modded, like I said earlier. I'm not sure if I wanna get a new electric or just mod the one I have a little. I had some tuning stability issues with the eclipse, but I think some of that is due to my phail at setting it up properly. And lastly, I think I'm gonna get a cabinet with more low end response. Maybe a 2x15.
Last edited by frozen-dirt at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by frozen-dirt
^Schwing. Tune-o-matics ftw.

**** tremolos. Yeah, I said it.

I guess I should post about my gear. Well, my current set-up is:

Ltd. EC-400 with dual 81's
5150 head
Carvin 4x12 with GT12-75's
ISP Decimator
and sometimes an Ibanez TS-7

This coming year I'm gonna really try to upgrade my stuff though. I'm gonna get an acoustic first, not sure what. After that, I'm gonna get the head retubed and modded, like I said earlier. I'm not sure if I wanna get a new electric or just mod the one I have a little. I had some tuning stability issues with the eclipse, but I think some of that is due to my phail at setting it up properly. And lastly, I think I'm gonna get a cabinet with more low end response. Maybe a 2x15.

You have dual 81's? How is that working out for you? I've only ever played through 81/85 combos.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
My basses:

Washburn XB100-cheap starter bass, P-bass copy. Haven't played it in months, as I'm at college and left it at home. Tone knob is broken. I want to keep it around and mod it; I'd like to see how it sounds with a good pickup.

Spector Q5 Pro-Spectors are pretty widely used among metal bassists; probably the most well known example is Alex Webster. It has a nice, bright, growly tone that is absolutely perfect for metal, although the EMG-HZ's are pretty meh. I'd like a pickup with more versatility and warmth; I love growl, but these pickups are a bit cold for my taste.

Galveston 8-string-I don't know much about this company or the electronics. I play this occasionally, but usually unamplified, so I can't really say anything about the tone.

I do have a few tips for metal bassists who play with their fingers and want to do death metal and other such faster styles:

1. Use the ring finger on your playing hand. It helps soooooo much.
2. Set your action about as low as it can get. The fret buzz will be lost amidst the distortion of the guitars. Of course, if you have a lot of clean sections, you'll probably want to reduce the fret buzz for a smoother sound, so keep it a bit higher than you would otherwise.
3. If you have a tweeter on your cab, deactivate it. It'll make your tone unnecessarily harsh.
4. If your guitar players scoop their mids, convince them not to. Also convince them to turn the lows down on their EQ, so the bass actually has space to occupy.
Quote by Firenze
You have dual 81's? How is that working out for you? I've only ever played through 81/85 combos.

81's are great for distortion, but I don't think they have much to offer when it comes to cleans. Even when you do stuff to clean them up, they don't really have any life or pizazz. If I do keep my guitar, I'm gonna change at least the neck pick-up.
400-600 metal amps

Peavey 5150
Peavey XXX
Peavey Ultra Plus
Krank Rev Jr
B-52 At 100
Line 6 Flexwave
Bugera take your pick
Possibly a Peavey Butcher or Valveking or Orange Tiny Terror if boosted.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Play a ****ty no name Telecaster for now, great for all around rock stuff though, and has nice bass presence in the clean tones. Single coils are too crap for heavy distortion though.

For bass, I play a Squier Vintage Modified, which is basically a cheaper version of the Fender American 70 reissue jazz. All maple (body and neck) so this thing is clear as day, and extremely versatile. Only problem is one that plagues all jazz basses : the pickups are wired in series, thus not canceling out the frequencies from the other. If the volumes are too far apart, it buzzes. A set of soon to be mine Dimarzio's will take care of that, and I plan on replacing teh stock hardware with Schallers. Already have a Badass II bridge in it for better intonation and sustain.

Looking for a nice bass head with clean head room. Thinking to go with Avatar cabs.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I play a Jackson DXMG through a Digitech Grunge pedal and out of a Roland cube 15x. (Yah i know im too cheap to buy a half-stack)