I'm just getting into sci-fi books, I read the whole Ender Saga (both Bean's and Ender's stories) by Orson Scott Card. i thought they were great. I also just read a Talent for War - By Jack Mcdevitt, which I enjoyed. However I didn't enjoy the books Engines of God by him. I also finished for school Fahrenheit 451 and I like that a lot.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to read?
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Dec 12, 2008,
The Foundation Series.
Really any Asimov. But especially that and his robot series.

Any Philip K. Dick.

Brave New World.

Dune.

And alot of others I can't think of off the top of my head.
I'm about to read Feed. I heard it's really good.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Soul Power
I'm about to read Feed. I heard it's really good.

I liked Feed a lot. The style is interesting and it has a pretty important message.
The Postman - David Brin

I took an entire class on Post Apocalyptic literature and this was the only book that wasn't awful (along with The Road)
Quote by #76
Any Philip K. Dick.

This. Especially Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund.

I'm not that into Halo, but a friend begged me to read this book, and it was amazingly good. Well, maybe not that good, but it far surpassed any expectation I had.

Also, The Giver by Lois Lowry.
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
This. Especially Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

That sounds really good from the description I read on amazon.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
I've always been fond of Asimov's "The Gods Themselves." Very interesting read.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
The Postman - David Brin

I took an entire class on Post Apocalyptic literature and this was the only book that wasn't awful (along with The Road)

I enjoyed that one, as well.

I recommend Wasp, by Eric Frank Russel - a book about a man who is tasked with singlehandedly taking on an enemy planet, by pretending to be one of them, and taking it down from the inside. An amazing book.

Also, The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham; classic sci-fi, and a very good read as far as post-apocalyptic novels go.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Trudogger
The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund.

I'm not that into Halo, but a friend begged me to read this book, and it was amazingly good. Well, maybe not that good, but it far surpassed any expectation I had.

Beat me to it. The Fall of Reach is awesome, same with First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx. The Flood sucked. It was pretty much the first game in text form.
As has been said:
All
Asimov
Clark
Dick

My personal favorites:
Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson
Otherworld series by Tad Williams
Manifest series by Stephen Baxter

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazney
And, despite its trendiness, Fehrenheit 451 by Bradbury

And wikipedia dystopian lit while you're at it. It's super popular for a reason, a lot of the best sci fi comes from that sub genre.

I honesty haven't read sci fi in half a decade, because my studies keep me too busy reading the classics, but these are some of the books I loved when I last got to actually read for pleasure.
"Scatterlings" by Isobelle Carmody.

The only sci-fi book that hasn't given me a headache.
XIAOXI
Arthur C. Clarke - Space Odyssey 2001
Dune - Frank Herbert
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Phillip K. Dick stuff - i've read A Scanner Darkly, it was good but i'd like to get my hands on a short story collection, which i think will be great.
Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
1984- George Orwell

Some of those have been mentioned but they are just ones that i've enjoyed, like you, i am also just starting to explore Sci -Fi.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
I'm a big fan of Isaac Asimov. Foundation and I, Robot (which has the following in common with the movie adaptation: robots and the title) are good places to start.

I'm currently reading a superhero homage called Soon I Will Be Invincible, which I like to think of as a more mature version of The Incredibles. So far, I absolutely love it.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Necro-bump for more books!

ANY of the HALO books, except for The Flood.

Some of the Mechwarrior and Star Wars books are actually really good reads if you are into that sort of thing.

The Mass Effect books are okay, but far too long for what plot they contain. I can't really recommend them unless you're fairly patient.

I Am Legend is actually fairly sci-fi/horror, not fantasy/horror, and very, very creepy. Much better than the movie IMHO (in my humble opinion).

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy may be one of the most hilarious series ever written, and they are deliciously sci-fi and intellectual, while still fitting in plenty of dumb fun. I cant recommend them enough.

Jurassic Park is fantastic. Just read it, ASAP.

Thats all Iv'e read recently, sorry. Anybody else?
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
star wars DEWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
everything purple tastes like grape
everything blue tastes like blueberry
everything pink tastes like watermelon
everything red tastes like strawberry
everything orange tastes like orange
everything yellow tastes like lemon