The thread title says it in a nutshell. I can understand having reverb on an amp to make your tone a bit fuller, depending on the venue, if the space is eating up your tone and making it sound all flat.

I don't mind having reverb on the amp, and I'll use it if it's there. But a lot of amps I've played have reverb knobs that push way beyond anything helpful in that regard--unless you want your tone to be swimming in extreme surf reverb, and a lot of amps have footswitches too to turn on/off the reverb. I understand a tube reverb can be way better than a pedal, but why is this such a standard feature on amps? And can reverb on a tube amp have an effect on the amp's tone or signal path?
I suppose it's just preferance to have reverb - some may use for practice incase they have a show in an area with terrible acoustics, to get even just a slight idea of it.

If it's a decent reverb (IE digitech hardwire reverb etc) then no, no it won't have much of an effect on the tone.
If you don't like it then turn it down or unplug the reverb pan.

BTW - reverb is just a way to get the amp to rattle a bit more for you giving you a 'small room' or personal echo sound. It's a personal thing.

Eddie Van Halen used quite a bit of it in his recordings.
Thats one of the first things i look for on an amp. I think reverb adds a lot of nessecary depth to your sound.

All of this is subjective, however.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I think it was just because everyone liked reverb so much that it became standard on most amps.
Alot of people use it on their cleans to give it an awesome feel.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
sweep picking+reverb=
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
To me reverb is necessary on the clean channel. On high gain channels it sounds like crap unless it's a solo and that's a big maybe for me. I played drums with a guy who insisted on using reverb while playing metal riffs. I couldn't play drums to his riffs because it had me all off. With all that gain in reverb was just noise. no clarity at all to it.
I find reverb boosts my mids/treble slightly lol...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
It's there in case you want the sound... the same as a tone knob... I don't know why the hell anyone would ever want the tone to be at anything but full (exaggerating) but there it is.

There are plenty of album recordings which include reverb... the only one I can think of off the top of my head is MCR's Dead!, which has some reverb for the lead guitar. If you hate MCR and think that's a bad thing, I honestly don't give a ****. It can be difficult to hear the reverb in the final mix of a song... I only recall Dead! easily because of guitar hero.

Hmm, also Goldfinger's 99 Red Balloons sounds like it has a lot of reverb to me, but I'm really tired so I might be imagining things.

Sleep time!

edit: Oh man... ****ing duh... listen to Cliffs of Dover...
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
Quote by thelonesoldier
It's there in case you want the sound... the same as a tone knob... I don't know why the hell anyone would ever want the tone to be at anything but full (exaggerating) but there it is.

There are plenty of album recordings which include reverb... the only one I can think of off the top of my head is MCR's Dead!, which has some reverb for the lead guitar. If you hate MCR and think that's a bad thing, I honestly don't give a ****. It can be difficult to hear the reverb in the final mix of a song... I only recall Dead! easily because of guitar hero.

Hmm, also Goldfinger's 99 Red Balloons sounds like it has a lot of reverb to me, but I'm really tired so I might be imagining things.

Sleep time!

edit: Oh man... ****ing duh... listen to Cliffs of Dover...

I think every pretty much 98% of albums have some form of reverb in somewhere. It isn't an exclusive thing.
It's included on a lot of amps because it's one of the most-used effects in the history of the guitar, and built in spring reverb (Not tube reverb) sounds a lot better than digital reverb pedals. It's a desirable effect on any clean amp.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Reverb is the one effect I pretty much have going all the time Love it.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Even if you're not talking about guitar, most vocal recordings in a studio have reverb. Reverb is the bomb, for anything.

Especially post rock/ambient.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Adding a touch of reverb and some chorus to a clean tone just brings it out and makes it that much fuller, especially if it's some melodic type thing, like The Bleeding by Five Finger Death Punch, or Hearts Burst Into Fire by Bullet For My Valentine. Those are just the first metal examples that pop into my head, and you can literally fill several books with tabs for good songs with reverb. It's probably the single most useful effect in any setup, and can help out anywhere if you know what you're doing.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
yeh my dsl's reverb is pretty nasty, but i just plain dont like reverb
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I could not live without reverb.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Eddie Van Halen used quite a bit of it in his recordings.

80s=loads of reverb.
Fact.

Reverb sounds great on clean tones and can even go some way to hiding a bad clean tone, but it sounds abysmal with too much gain. A good guitarist knows how to balance out his reverb and gain to get the most dramatic sound possible on his slow solos. Not the fast ones, because A: you'll want more gain and B: it'll sound like mush anyway.
I think reverb sounds fine with distortion as well... probably depends on your amp and settings.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass