First off, I searched and didn't find anything. Searching MIDI gives only unrelated results, and of course searching MP3 is no help at all.

I want to learn how to play a melody from a techno song (Daft Punk's "Da Funk" live at Coachella) on the guitar (eventually also get a synth pedal or something so I can get it to sound like the original song as well...) but I can't do **** by ear. I'm serious. I am not gonna be able to figure it out by ear and there are no tabs for the part of the song I want.

I was thinking that I could use an MP3-to-MIDI (or WAV-to-MIDI, it doesn't matter, and YES THEY EXIST) converter and then just feed the MIDI into Power Tab and boom I've got a tab for it. I've never used such conversion software before and I don't know which program to use or whether anything really works. Any help, advice, feedback, or opinions would be appreciated.

Also, if someone knows how to get a good techno sound with just filters in an audio editing program, that'd be good too. I've tried but gotten nowhere close.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
Last edited by thelonesoldier at Dec 12, 2008,
MP3 to MIDI?

Excuse my ignorance, but is that even possible?

Are MP3 layers compressed and flattened into one track? If so, wouldn't it make it impossible to get the single layer you want to learn converted into a tab?

I'm not sure how this Powertab works though, so I might be wrong.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Do you know what key it's in?

If so, you could probably compose it. Figure out the starting note, then figure it out by determining the intervals between each note (whether they're a tone or semitone apart).
My Last.fm
*sigh* You can try a Google search... there are multiple MP3-to-MIDI programs... it's not a mind-blowing concept, you just need something that can analyze an audio stream and recognize individual notes and then track them to MIDI. Obviously the technology exists to determine what an individual note is, or we wouldn't have tuners... I just don't know how accurate these programs are or what the best one is.

I already looked for a MIDI and didn't find one.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
Quote by Iriathz
Do you know what key it's in?

If so, you could probably compose it. Figure out the starting note, then figure it out by determining the intervals between each note (whether they're a tone or semitone apart).

You'd think so... ugh. No, I don't know what key it's in. I tried feeding it through AP tuner but it's way too fast for me to be able to read all the notes that way.
------
Quote by Normul
Quote by thelonesoldier
*sigh* You can try a Google search... there are multiple MP3-to-MIDI programs... it's not a mind-blowing concept, you just need something that can analyze an audio stream and recognize individual notes and then track them to MIDI. Obviously the technology exists to determine what an individual note is, or we wouldn't have tuners... I just don't know how accurate these programs are or what the best one is.

I already looked for a MIDI and didn't find one.

Or, whether it will even work.
If you convert it into a MIDI file from an MP3, would it not convert it into one track? MP3 are compressed, as far as I know, and so the MIDI would be too. If programs can recognize and analyze an audio stream, I highly doubt they will be incredibly accurate, as there are a vast array of other sounds also interfering with the specific note.

I'm sorry, that's just my view on it - I might be entirely wrong.
My Last.fm
That's fine... at least one program claims to be able to convert multitrack audiofiles to multitrack MIDI files (http://www.intelliscore.net/) but it does say on the site that the MIDI files aren't perfect.

The particular part I'm trying to analyze is only one "instrument" (I think... there is some relatively quiet audience noise in the background, I'm not sure if that would interfere) so hopefully it would be easier on the program.

I guess I'll try the Intelliscore demo while I'm waiting for replies.

edit: Well, that was a hilarious disaster. It wasn't even remotely close. I think it is designed for real instruments rather than techno synthesized sounds... to make it worse, Power Tab wouldn't read the MIDI file it produced anyway.

Eh, it probably doesn't matter... it's probably much too fast and complicated for me to ever hope to play it.
------
Quote by Normul
Last edited by thelonesoldier at Dec 12, 2008,