Page 1 of 3
I've got this old 60's japanese guitar sitting my my closet at my parents house, and I'm thinking of making a project out of it....
this is the guitar:

it's originally a 12 string, but I think I'm going to chop the headstock and epoxy as a 6 string. I'm thinking of replacing those big, ugly single coils with hotrails (I can get them for $40 a peice, so, why not?!).

I have a fairly basic idea about what I want to do, but I want to hear all of your ideas for what to do with this guitar. I won't use all your ideas, but I'll take them all into account somehow.

Well, what would you guys do to this thing?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
If it were me I'd keep it 12 string. You can buy a 6 string any day of the week, 12 strings are a little harder to come buy, especially something vintage like this. In response to your question, I wouldn't change anything. I would get it in proper working order as far as electronics, tuners, etc. go and leave everything else stock.
Last edited by chip46 at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by chip46
If it were me I'd keep it 12 string. You can buy a 6 string any day of the week, 12 strings are a little harder to come buy, especially something vintage like this. In response to your question, I wouldn't change anything. I would get it in proper working order as far as electronics, tuners, etc. go and leave everything else stock.

no, with a full 12 string set on it, the two outermost strings are way off the neck near the socket.

So, I'm thinking... this is what I just came up with:
6 string, 2 hotrails, those two rocker switches are the coil taps for each, a volume each pickup and a tone, that switch is a .047pfu cap.

But, that's my idea. I could try the 12-string, but, I'm telling you, it just doesn't fit. The neck is differant than the body, and who-ever matched them up, didn't match size.
Honestly, dont turn it into a 6 string. This is a vintage 12 string, thats pretty awesome

If the strings dont line up, learn how to shim the neck and adjust the pocket so it does. This could be a great learning experience and would give you an awesome 12 string.

I say keep the original pickups too, theyre probably better than hotrails.
Quote by Dark_Merlin
Honestly, dont turn it into a 6 string. This is a vintage 12 string, thats pretty awesome

If the strings dont line up, learn how to shim the neck and adjust the pocket so it does. This could be a great learning experience and would give you an awesome 12 string.

I say keep the original pickups too, theyre probably better than hotrails.

+1 maybe not on the hot rails thing, but keep it a 12
Vintage 12 stringers are not that common , what you have there is a gem , also theres a good chance those single coils would kick the hot rails in the butt.

You could either remove the headstock and make a 6 stringer , that would be inexpensive and easy to do.

Or you could restore it to mint condition and keep it/sell it on ebay.
I agree. Keep it a 12 string and keep the pickups. Dude its vintage, clean it up and get it playing condition, but dont change it.
There's no nut. They're not going to stay on the fretboard if there's no nut.

Keep that thing vintage, seriously, It'll be worth it in the end.
------

Shwiggity.
Keep it like that IMO. If you don't want all 12 strings, then don't install all 12 strings. Keep the headstock but only wire up 6 strings. What's wrong with that?
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Quote by MeanwiththeDean
Keep it like that IMO. If you don't want all 12 strings, then don't install all 12 strings. Keep the headstock but only wire up 6 strings. What's wrong with that?

IN a word, ugly.

I agree, I'd restore it as a six string with different pickups, although you could do better than hotrails; consider actual single coils or P90s? In fact, the original pickups are probably pretty good.
Don't **** with it at all. Please don't ruin such a beautiful guitar by changing it. Just restore it to a good condition, you'll totally be happy with it more that way.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Don't **** with it at all. Please don't ruin such a beautiful guitar by changing it. Just restore it to a good condition, you'll totally be happy with it more that way.

+1
Deftonesordie is right it has no nut you cant expect strings to stay in place with no nut. And redoing such a sweet guitar would be blastphamy. And doing so would eventually have the Guitar Gods catch you on fire and while your running to put the fire out you run into a truck carrying a thousand tons of TNT and then kaboom gose you. Do you want that to happen.
Also it would be cheaper to just restore it in the long run.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Anyone who knows me (or has seen my gear pics) knows my position on this, but if TS wants to restore that as something totally new, let him.

Then when it comes time to sell it or brag about it, he'll seriously regret re-doing it and kick himself in the ass over it for the rest of his life.

BTW, dibs on the pups if you chuck them. I dunno or care about the "highly-sought-after" part, but I just love vintage gear. Those pups look neat.
Dibs on the other stuff that you chuck.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Yeah, well **** you.

I can make a sweet 12 string with that.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I wonder if OP knows we're serious?

OP, we're serious.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Which really just makes me want to say "Hack the thing. Make it a 6 string with hot rails." but I reiterate my love for this guitar and that you should leave it.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Keep 12 strings on that bad boy. I have a Gretsch I'm bringing back and as it won't be 100% original, I do plan on buying the same type of pickups for it, and tuners if I can find them. Give it a personal paint job but keep the 60s era style to it.
Actually, I think I'll take ya'll advice. I'll take this winter break to spend some quality time with this beast, get it back to working condition with 12 strings. It would be a shame to give up such a unique guitar. We'll see where it ends up.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
ok, so, I spent some time with it... and I came to the conclusion: I'm not getting that neck to work with that body. That's just facts. So, I've planned this out.
I'm replacing that crappy bridge with a gibson ABR, the tune-o-matic, that I have sitting around, but I'm keeping the original tailpiece. I cleaned up the electronics, and honestly: after a few spurts of tuner cleaner, flawless, pretty... sweet sounding, I guess, too. I played one string on it through my amp, I don't know how I feel about the pickups, but I'll figure that out once I get it strung up and playing.

I'm replacing the neck on it. I've gotta figure out what scale and what kind of neck, I thought of buying a Squier affinity, but truth be told, the affinity is a nicer guitar than this thing, so that's a waste. Now I'm thinking the GFS neck, throw on some $10 tuners and I've got a freaky frank-o-guitar.

The 12 strings just won't work. At all. It won't intonate, the bridge is too wide for the neck and the fret ends on the neck stick out something fierce.

ok, so, here's a really rudimentary, basic mock up, please don't judge hte PS skills.

Last edited by Thomme at Dec 17, 2008,
dont listen to jim and chuck, if your planning on ruining that amazing beauty... just mail it to me instead, and ill send you a 300$ check
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
but jimmmmmmmmmmmmzzzzzzz, i wantehz duh guitarzzzzz.... im pretty sure i can out pay you too
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
me wants the whole package though
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Jim don't make the TS turn this Thread around and go straight to ebay with his guitar. And i'll back you up on the you called the pups first argument.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Page 1 of 3