Page 1 of 2
yah so my parents are going to buy me a (roughly) 1600 dollar guitar for my 18th birthday. And I am having trouble making up my mind. I play a lot of different stuff, from clean rush type sounds, to dirty Led Zep, GNR tones, to (IMO) heavy Randy Rhoads tones, maybe slightly heavier. I'm gonna be buying a mesa 5:25 express soon, so that should give you an idea of the osund. any suggestions on a guitar I should look at? I played a PRS Mica and it sounded pretty good but it's slightly out of my price range. I also tried out an Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special HSS pickup config, and it sounded good, but I don't want to make this decision too rashly, I was also thinking about carvin, any suggestions for me?
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
yeah... carvin or prs those are so nice =]

just use the 1600 and combine with you're own money and buy something godly
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
I'd say Epiphone LP Custom, not everyones favourite, but I used one to play black/death metal, thrash metal, rock and some clean stuff, everything sounded great on it. Bit of a chunky body/heavy build, but it's fast and great sounding.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
the basic music man jp6? i know how you feel about $1600, its good for some great quality guitars, but its just out of range from the "omfgicame" guitars.
Well Enough Alone
lol. just.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Definitely gonna echo the Mira here. Vox just made some cool stuff, but idk if it's in your price range.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
what amp do you have?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
I would recommend Marshall amplification or a Fender Stratocaster.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Mase947
I would recommend Marshall amplification or a Fender Stratocaster.

i would highly recommend

a natural non paint mahogany guitar (tone chambered..you dont need the extra wood and the balance is far better) 25' so not too hard to do bends not to muddy, which is maple cap rosewood fretboard EMG 81 (24v mod) in the bridge, and a Tonezone neck..both coil tapped via vol pot

2 inputs (you can play acoustic and electric at the same time or seperate..2 guitars almost in one. piezo bridged for this (although tonepros are the best if you could get a seperate piezo pup and a tonepro. Earvana nut for better intonation and 3 a side locking sperzels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnWqpEMc9II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom, then put some Seymour Duncans in it, and replace the tuners.
Best guitar you could get for that price for what you want.
Kills the Gibson Les Paul Studio.
Member of the Laney Cult
epiphone elitist les paul custom or a gibson sg standard.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
For the things you play, get a gibson lp custom or studio. Gnr used them (slash's lps), Zeppelin used them (Jimmy Page's lps) and you can get that humbucker sou nd that randy got on them.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Mmmmm, the Fly pics are tempting
But I guess I wasn't thorough enough on my styles, I love to play SRV, Hendrix, and bluesy stuff as well, and I like LOVE EJ's tone as well. I love all the tones from Lynyrd Skynyrd.
I know I'm not going to get all of these in one purchase, but, I require a very versatile guitar.

Thats it.
Quote by freebird_17
But I guess I wasn't thorough enough on my styles, I love to play SRV, Hendrix, and bluesy stuff as well, and I like LOVE EJ's tone as well. I love all the tones from Lynyrd Skynyrd.
I know I'm not going to get all of these in one purchase, but, I require a very versatile guitar.

PRS Custom 24
i'd go for a gibson sg standard personally, it;s liek 1500, i have one and i can use it for any style of music, i use to be way into classic rock, now i'm a little more into screamo and hardcore, and i still am using the same geet.
Quote by freebird_17

either a PRS or a HSS Strat
i'd go with a really nice custom telecaster w/ 2 humbuckers. but that's just me.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
hmm, I was looking at a parker Nitefly, with the coiltaps and piezo pickups. i have heard great things about the parker.

Thats it.
those deluxe American HSS strats are pretty nice if your into strats.

I never loved the look of them but i love how all fenders play.
You could get a lot of nice guitars for that chunk of change.I'd personally go with a custom shop Carvin rather than getting a mass produced model,but that's just my personal preference since I'm GASing for a DC-400w like a mofo.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Parker necks are like ridiculous, there so sleek that they beg to be shred. Sweet no? Ha but yeah a Parker nitefly with piezo, fully loaded John Petrucci Musicman, or maybe a nicer PRS (love the mira but there not perfect for everything) are the most versatile guitars I know. But if your set on the mira go ahead, there SICK
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Something about that bridge on the Mira just scares me... I can't adjust the intonation on my classical and TBH you can't play past the 12th fret, rendering the cutout totally useless. I would assume the same with the PRS, but I could be dead wrong, I've yet to play the Mira.

Parker Fly's... They're pretty much epic. That and PRS 22-24's are IMO THE most versatile guitars ever made. I would recommend those along with an EB Pettruci model, maybe if you can a older LP (used). Old LP's = teh sex!

And I also get what you're saying about $1600, it's enough to buy a great instrument but unless you hit the 2k mark usually you can't get anything that just makes even non-musicians stop and gawk.
If I had 1600 I'd personally build a guitar with kickass parts. Probably better than any mass produced guitar today, and it would be awesome 18th birthday present imo.
Quote by The_Bosstone
If I had 1600 I'd personally build a guitar with kickass parts. Probably better than any mass produced guitar today, and it would be awesome 18th birthday present imo.

I echo this; maybe warmoth? Hm...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Jesstaa
I'd say Epiphone LP Custom, not everyones favourite, but I used one to play black/death metal, thrash metal, rock and some clean stuff, everything sounded great on it. Bit of a chunky body/heavy build, but it's fast and great sounding.
Are you kidding me, the guy has a $1600 budget, and is looking at PRS's and Music mans, and you suggest a $650 Epiphone...

There is so many better choices
Quote by Blast For Satan
Could I tempt you into a Parker Fly?

That one, cept that a Fly doesn't really play well with a $1600 budget. A Nitefly should be within reach, or a used Fly Deluxe.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Page 1 of 2