So I'd only heard good things about Monster cables..but I hadn't heard much..Now apparently they're only good for durability, not tone? WTF???
Last edited by Pacarazzi at Dec 12, 2008,
A cable is a cable. Only buy cables with lifetime warranties and your life will be good.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by Pacarazzi
So I'd only heard good things about Monster cables..but I hadn't heard much..Now apparently they're only good for durability, not tone? WTF???

ummm dont think that's true
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
It's kinda like the arguments with strings. It's all the same material and winding techniques, yet for some reason X string sounds "better" than Y string.

Lifetime warranty is key.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Cables do indeed sound different. There's a lot going on from cable to cable to effect the sound.
That said, Monsters are good cables, so unless you've got $250 to spend recabling your rig with Lavaman cables you've got nothing to worry about.
As long as it blocks interference well I'll use it.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
the cables arent bad

but the price is ridiculous
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I've done side by side comparisons with different cables vs. Monster and Monster cables are a thicker more consistent tone. Though its very very miniscule. I buy monster cables for the reliability. No more crapped out cables laying around and no more need to pack extras just in case.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
A cable is a cable. Only buy cables with lifetime warranties and your life will be good.

Unless it's a bad cable that muffs up your tone.
Quote by Jaekae
ive seen a cable for $10,809

so dont say monster is way overpriced

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/g-oval-guitar-30ft.html

There's a flawed deduction of logic for you.

Mogami > Monster.

Monster Rock series cables claim that they boost your midrange. Mogami Gold are advertised to be the most accurate cables on the market.

I don't know about you but I think it's pretty stupid to pay extra for a cable that changes your tone. I want cables that get from my guitar, through my effects, to my amp with as little modification as possible. Monster is not the brand to do that.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Dec 12, 2008,
ive never said monster is the best cable in the world, just said it isnt the most overpriced cable that exsist
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

The ONLY difference between one cable and another, apart from how well shielded it is, is its capacitance. Capacitance is the ability to hold a charge. In essence, some cables can act a bit like rolling back your tone knob. Provided there's no buzz, you could get the same tone from a coat hanger that you get from a $50 cable.
Nope, no sig here.
cables are just cables. unless they're SUPER thick and long which would cause resistance, then your tone might begin to suffer.

otherwise, i don't think 1 or 2 cables make enough of a difference for your ears to notice.

now if you had 100 crappy little cables through your rig, switching to 100 high quality cables like planet waves, monster, etc.. then.. well it depends on the ears, but i'm sure you'd notice a difference then.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
They are good cables. It don't make much of a difference. I think the string argument is a little different. I can hear a huge different in different brands of guitar strings. Cables... not at all.
They're good. I use em and I like them. The only real overpriced ones are the gold tipped ones that are like 50 bux...the standard ones are damn alright. i use 1 gold one for instrument-->preamp. everything else is hooked up with standard monsters. they sound great.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Cables aren't just cables. Some are quieter, some have a bit more depth and shimmer to the sound.

Monster Cables are good. Honestly, they're only used because GC stocks them. But they are good cables, and none of mine have faulted on me yet through years of abuse.

For my money though, I would go with George L's cables.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I use planet waves if I buy a named brand. But I like this local music stores off brand. Because no matter what the abuse they will replace it for the rest of your life. You can step on it or tear it up on purpose and it will be replaced. Unlike some of the bigger names who have lifetime warranties. Those only count on defects not if you abuse them.
Quote by kayman121
They're good. I use em and I like them. The only real overpriced ones are the gold tipped ones that are like 50 bux...the standard ones are damn alright. i use 1 gold one for instrument-->preamp. everything else is hooked up with standard monsters. they sound great.

lol i thought the other way around. the only good cables i would recommend are the gold tipped ones like the monster rock and pro1000. recently just got a pair of these and they really do clear up ur tone and boost your mid+giving you more low end.
Quote by kckyle
lol i thought the other way around. the only good cables i would recommend are the gold tipped ones like the monster rock and pro1000. recently just got a pair of these and they really do clear up ur tone and boost your mid+giving you more low end.

The gold just comes off man. It's not worth it. Try it next to a silver one.. theres no difference. If you can tell the difference in that you got extremely good ears. I can assure you no one in your audience will know.
I've been using Planet Waves cables for ages now, really like them.

No crackling/huming or anything, Sounds great and cheap too.
I got a Monster cable to try after jumping on the George L's bandwagon. I refuse to use my George L's cable now because it CONSTANTLY twists up on me and won't straighten out. Not the case with the Monster.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
tonally, it sounds like every other cable. I noticed a little stronger bass and mid, but nothing that can't be done by touching the knobs a little bit. now the big thing is looking at the strength. I've tortured my Monster cable, and that things warranty has yet to be used.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
May I start by saying that there is a ton of misinformation in this thread already.

Cables are not all made the same. Some cables have a braided conductor, some have a solid conductor, some have multiple conductors. Some have copper conductors and some have silver conductors. The diameter of the conductor and the shield varies. The braid and material of the shielding varies sometimes causing differing amounts of coverage from cable to cable. Etc, etc, etc...

Two of the biggest things to look for in a cable are the quality of the plugs, and the quality of the soldering job done there. Some "brand name" cables use comparatively crappy plugs when compared to the Switchcraft, Neutrik, and G&H plugs that are consistently used by most cable companies.

Virtually all cables are way overpriced for what you're getting. You can DIY a cable that will sound better and last longer than a $100 "off the shelf" cable for usually less than $20.

Personally, I don't trust Monster's quality. I've seen their expensive cables fail. I've seen plug issues and broken solder joints. I've seen tone alterations that seemed both good and bad and I've realized that it's usually bad in the long run. To be perfectly honest, this stuff doesn't bother me that much, Monster's business ethics do. The fact that they aggressively threaten litigation against smaller cable companies that have done nothing wrong (and against ANYONE who uses the word "monster" in any business context whatsoever) proves to me that I can better spend my money elsewhere.

If you want some really good info regarding cable construction/quality and some excellent product recommendations, may I firmly suggest you check out Lava Cable.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
The only customers I have who use Monsters have a deal.

Use the cable to get your signal from your guitar to your gear. Use your guitar and gear to get your tone. Build or buy cables made from Mogami, Canare or Belden cable with Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs. Then proceed to play and not f**k with cables. These will last 20 years.

Whirlwind and ProCo both make good, reliable professional quality cables. Do not pay extra for pixie dust and voodoo. Gold plating goes over the nickel plating of a standard plug. You're still playing through nickel plating. Gold doesn't tarnish, neither does anything else if you are cleaning it enough. Dropping the plug on your rehearsal room floor introduces more contaminants than anything that ever oxidized on a plug. Clean your plugs and jacks with Deoxit occasionally.