When using distortion pedals (like a metal muff) how should the amp be set up? Which channel should I be running and at what EQ and gain/drive settings?

Also, do distortion pedals allow powerful tube amps to sound better at low volumes?
I think you will find this depends on what kind of tone you want...
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
you want the clean channel with a distortion pedal. EQ whatever you want, or just all at 12 o clock. I think it would make it better at low volume, not sure.
I get the feeling that a lot of people who complain about distortion pedals have everything cranked to 11 (even reverb).
I'm playing the Death Metal pedal (it sucks), and I put my Bass on 5, Contour on 5, Treble on 10 and Reverb on 11 ^^

But that's just because my amp is not heard properly on rehearsals, due to drums, so I've experimented how to get the "loudest" tone out of the amp, but still to sound somewhat clear

btw, since you're an thrasher, how is the metal muff serving you? and do you have the one with top boost?
Quote by KingJustinian25
you want the clean channel with a distortion pedal. EQ whatever you want, or just all at 12 o clock. I think it would make it better at low volume, not sure.

Fail.

Quote by Ronsonic
There's two approaches. Clean amp and get teh brUtuLLZ from the pedal or gain up the amp a little and set the pedal less aggressively. Both work. Both depend on your taste and gear.

Experiment.

Fail.

Quote by thelonesoldier
I think you will find this depends on what kind of tone you want...

...and what amp you have.
...and what guitar you have.
...and what distortion pedal you have.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Fail.
Fail.
...and what amp you have.
...and what guitar you have.
...and what distortion pedal you have.

Wow, you're a really unhelpful ass. Saying "fail" doesn't tell anyone anything, and obviously the amp, guitar, and pedal are all part of the tone. I didn't think I needed to write a paragraph explaining how tone works... "it depends on what tone you want" obviously extends to all elements of your sound, and the only practical way to find the tone you like best with your equipment is to play around with it.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
Fail.

"Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't."

WOW!!! To quote the great Jeff Spicoli: YOU DICK!!! NO I TAKE THAT BACK, YOU TOTAL PHUCKING DICKHEAD!!!
Do you really expect ANYONE to give you a answer after the remark?

Tell you what asshole the best setting for YOU would be to take the plastic cover off your Hello Kitty or imitation Kirk Hammett guitar,then look for the wire soldered to the tremolo or the screwed into the body. Either cut it or completely remove it, your amp settings (perferably a tube amp) should be gain:3 bass:4 mid :6 treble; 8 if you have reverb somewhere between 3-5. To get the best tone YOU need need to throghly WET the floor or better yet have at least one foot in a bucket of water or your bathtub and rock out.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard Honey Burst
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II Heritage Cherry Burst
Gibson Les Paul Studio Worn Cherry
Gibson Les Paul SG Standard Cherry
Fender Stratocaster American Standard Alpine White
Ernie Ball EVH TransBlue
Music Man Axis TrasAmber 1998
Music Man Axis custom color change Tiger Eye 2002
Peavey Wolfgang USA TransGreen 1998
Peavey Wolfgang USA Trans Purple 2001
EVH Wolfgang Special Japan Tobacco Burst
Parker NiteFly Mojo
Fender/Squire Stratocaster Affinity Black
Fender/Squire Stratocaster Affinity Blue
Hofner Shorty Travel guitar Black
Taylor Big Baby

AMPS:
Marshall 2000 DSL 100w head
Fender DDRi
Orange TH30 head
Orange Micro Terror
Fender Mustang 20w combo

Effects/Pedals:
Boss GT-10 Effects Processor
Boss Metal Zone 2
Boss Chorus
TC Electronic Ditto Looper
TC Electronic HOF Reverb
TC Electronic Polytune 2
Zvex Box of Rock distortion
MXR Phase 90
MXR Flanger micro
Dunlop Fuzz Face FFM2
EHX Big Muff Pi
JoYo Tremolo
Dunlop Crybaby CB95

Strings:
Electric: Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46
Acoustic: D'Addrio Elixer Phosphor Bronze

Picks:
Dunlop Max Grip .60-88

That pretty much covers my gear. While writing this me and my friends were laughing hysterically, they tell me all the time how funny I am and a great guy. Do you like dogs? I do my dog is great and I think she's part fish because she loves the water. Speaking of fish we were down at the lake a couple of weeks ago and she actually almost caught a fish, can you believe that!! I was throwing her ball out in the water and she would go and get it,she runs down the dock and jumps right in. Anyways as she was get out of the water she scared up some brim that were close to the shore, one flopped on the shore and she grabbed it but it was flipping around so hard she dropped it and it landed back in the water. Man that would have been too cool if she had landed it, don't you think?? Hey are you going to vote? I bet you're a Donnie Trump guy I can tell because you're a total dickheaded douchebag just like him. Well I'm getting bored and that brings me to my final thoughts. It amazes me that a little prick like you asks for someone's help then has the audacity to make the remark you did. Really hope you're an only child cause it would suck if your mother shitted out any more like you. Hopefully you pissed of your boyfriend and he ripped off your balls that way if you ever found a woman who would let you screw her you can't reproduce and pollute the world with more dickheads like yourself.
Last edited by dikdastardl at Oct 2, 2016,
You realise the guy made that post the guts of 8 years ago, right? He probably doesn't even still post here...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

"I do my dog is great and I think she's part fish because she loves the water."

I'm pretty sure he admitted that he likes doing his dog. Maybe he should edit that sentence for the sake of clarity on this matter? Or, just check the date before posting about how much he likes doing his dog.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.