ok, when using an amp with a "whole-lotta-gain", what is the point of a pedal that adds more gain than you need?

If you run the distortion pedal through the clean channel...why not just use the overdrive channel?

Don't good versatile amps negate the need for such pedals?

First, because everyone has a great amp...

And second... a pedal couldn't possibly give you different tone...
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
hook a fuzz face to your amp and tell me that sounds the same as your overdrive channel
TS9 because I don't fancy burning my tubes bright all the time to get overdrive, Big Muff because you can't get Muff fuzz/distortion from most tube amps. Both because I like having it at my foot.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
if op also referred to using an od on the gain channel its generally just to tighten up the sound and make your tone more articulate rather than add gain, or fatten up or make it a bit heavier via big muff, etc

amps are versatile to an extent. most times they'll need a small push in the right direction to get it where you want to go
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by thrasher_s
ok, when using an amp with a "whole-lotta-gain", what is the point of a pedal that adds more gain than you need?

If you run the distortion pedal through the clean channel...why not just use the overdrive channel?

Don't good versatile amps negate the need for such pedals?

Uh...because I want distortion and not overdrive?

Just a thought.
Because some of us want tones you can't get from amps.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Also if you layer your amp distortion with a distortion pedal, you get a nice thick layered tone that's deeper than just using an amp.
I think Petrucci does it with his Mesa.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by shadow__666
Because some of us want tones you can't get from amps.

*acoustic ukelele solo*
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
An OD pedal added to the lead channel on a high gain amp like the peavey 6505 tightens it up and boost it. You can drive the tubes harder so it sounds better and also boost the lows, boost the highs, or cut out lows and highs. Some pedals allow you to add more preamp gain but most people keep the gain knob all the way down so they don't use it to add more gain. They use it to add more power amp gain by driving the tubes.

Another reason, if you are playing at low volume it's hard to achieve a good power amp gain with the tubes turned down so a tube overdrive pedal or tube screamer will make it sound better at lower volumes

distortion pedals on a high gain amp.. is pointless and stupid. OD pedals are a different type thing.
nothing is a bad idea, give it a try
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah, the threadstarter just had no idea what an OD pedal does on a lead channel amp really. He's just thinking of it as overdriving a clean channel and that's not the only use. It's actually not even the most common use.
Oy,
Like everybody else has said, You use an OD pedal to boost/tighten the sound of your amp. That's the point.
My drive channel has lovely cleans [the same sound as the clean channel, but the clean channel doesn't allow me to turn up the power-amp while keeping the pre-amp low (which makes my OD pedal sound better), so I use the drive channel], but terrible overdrive.

Thus, I use a pedal with my drive channel (with pre-amp gain turned down, so I have a great clean sound when my pedal is off), and use my OD to bring the thunder!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO