Page 1 of 3
i was bored and wondering how many kiwis are on this and there fav nz band
\

shihad all the way
Cripple Mr Onion! Woot.

Edit: Maybe Garageland actually, for their amazingly chill music. Or Flight Of The Conchords just because they're funny. I don't know.
kiwi through and through right here haha, gotta say Jakob is the best band to come out of NZ ever, although Minuit, Salmonella Dub ( only with Tiki!) and Shihad all rate pretty high in my books.
Quote by Draken
Look i'm saying if she wore those glasses in bed i'd plough her like an Amish guy sowing his maize crop.

My Gear:
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cheap classical guitar
Ashton GA-158C
Zoom 505II
Shihad's new CD was a total letdown man.

I'm personally into Little Bushman, Odessa, Shapeshifter, Concord Dawn. I don't know many of the hardcore bands around these days...

Also I like FOTC of course and I used to like Blindspott when I was younger.

EDIT: HOW THE HELL DID I FORGET?! JAKOB!!! BEST NZ BAND EVER!

Double Edit: The fct that I come from Finland may be untrue, but for certain *cough* reasons, lets just say it is... NZ FTW!
Last edited by GravityEyelids at Dec 12, 2008,
i need to add more favs
'part frm shihad, theres elemeno p , blindspott (renuion gig at homegrown) trinity roots, bic and boh and many more
Shihads new stuff isn't awful, but it isn't quite as good as the old stuff.

I've never heard Jakob..

Lt. Funk and Stylus are pretty good.
gravity not only do i commend ur love of Jakob but i couldnt help but notice ur porcupine tree avatar, u sir are full of win.
Quote by Draken
Look i'm saying if she wore those glasses in bed i'd plough her like an Amish guy sowing his maize crop.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cheap classical guitar
Ashton GA-158C
Zoom 505II
Quote by Regression
Shihads new stuff isn't awful, but it isn't quite as good as the old stuff.

I've never heard Jakob..

Lt. Funk and Stylus are pretty good.

Look them up. You will see drastic improvements in your life. They are a post-rock band who make big building ambient tunes (with no vocals) and end up making epic grinds.
Am I the only one that likes the Feelers lol?

I haven't heard of Jakob either.
I'm also pretty keen to go to homegrown this time round, mostly `cause Blindspott will be there.
Quote by waddogg
gravity not only do i commend ur love of Jakob but i couldnt help but notice ur porcupine tree avatar, u sir are full of win.

Why thank you sir. Anything that involves SW is win. Notice that Gravity Eyelids is actually a song by PT...

And Jakob are brilliant. Have you heard of Explosions in the Sky? Very similar, and also brilliant.
shihads new stuff isnt that nbad its just different. overall the album is not a fav and not as good as fishy, kiljoy, general electric, or love is the new hate, but it still has some good tracks and the bonus disk is mint so i suggest getting hold of it.

just liostened to JAKOb its awesome i am so goona get hold of some of there stuff
More importantly, Head Like A Hole will be there! (right?)

Not really a huge fan of them, but there is this cool song, odd video. Could never find out the name of the song though, not much on the internet of them.

I don't mind The Feelers, they just get kind of, typical and repetative.

Listening to Jakob, sounds pretty good so far.

And I forgot Deja Voodoo.
They're awesome!
Quote by Regression
More importantly, Head Like A Hole will be there! (right?)

Not really a huge fan of them, but there is this cool song, odd video. Could never find out the name of the song though, not much on the internet of them.

I don't mind The Feelers, they just get kind of, typical and repetative.

Listening to Jakob, sounds pretty good so far.

And I forgot Deja Voodoo.
They're awesome!

I would give you one of my beers, but I only have 6..
Quote by Van-Hayden
Am I the only one that likes the Feelers lol?

it seems to be that way feelers are all right tho
Quote by ben deebz
shihads new stuff isnt that nbad its just different. overall the album is not a fav and not as good as fishy, kiljoy, general electric, or love is the new hate, but it still has some good tracks and the bonus disk is mint so i suggest getting hold of it.

just liostened to JAKOb its awesome i am so goona get hold of some of there stuff

Yea I see what you mean about Shihad's new album but it just didn't click with me.

I suggest the CD Calerew (supposed to be Cale Drew without the smiley its just got a : in it. by Jakob its my favourite but Solace is also wicked.

Anyone else going to Homegrown or BDO next year?
I want to go to BDO because Fantomas is playing.. And kind of for Serj and whoever else.

Not going to go to Wellington just for NZ acts though. Sorry New Zealand.
I havent ever found a band that are quite like Jakob.
Explosions in the sky, Red Sparrowes, Mono etc, none quite compare to the epicness of Jakob
I'm agreed with the negative view on Shihads latest, just not the same as rockin out to screwtop or bitter!
Quote by Draken

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cheap classical guitar
Ashton GA-158C
Zoom 505II
Quote by GravityEyelids
Yea I see what you mean about Shihad's new album but it just didn't click with me.

I suggest the CD Calerew by Jakob its my favourite but Solace is also wicked.

Anyone else going to Homegrown or BDO next year?

Most likely Homegrown, the BDO lineup doesn't appeal to me though, I'd only see Neil Young and the Prodigy most likely.. Maybe Tiki.
Quote by Van-Hayden
Most likely Homegrown, the BDO lineup doesn't appeal to me though, I'd only see Neil Young and the Prodigy most likely.. Maybe Tiki.

Same here. BDO looks shocking (TIng Tings WTF?) but Homegrown looks sweet. Also Tiki was so much better when he was with SD.
bLINDSPOTTT!!!!!!! AND CRIPPLE MR ONION!!!!!!!! AND SUBTRACT!!! AND THAT BAND THAT OPENED FOR MESHUGGAH!!!!!!!!

Thats better.......
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
the dudes, sinate, deja voodoo <-- met the frontman at 'the dudes' show in AKL last year, dragon
Not a fan of the NZ "major" acts, like Shihad and what have you... but I do like the Electric Confectionaires, White Birds and Lemons, Odessa, and heaps of other smaller bands.
Neil Young would be good aswell. I can't stand being in the sun all day though.

I don't really like BDO in general. I'm not really the type who likes to be in huge crowds for 12-14 hours.
Quote by beau05
the dudes, sinate, deja voodoo <-- met the frontman at 'the dudes' show in AKL last year, dragon

SINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE, MY BAND MIGHT BE OPENEING FOR THEM SOMETIMESOON!!!!!!!!!!
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
id go to BDO for neil young but really BDO isnt that good this year and i rather go to homegrown . i rather go to several smaller gigs than BDO and get closer to the band etc. i wanna go homegrown although last year would have been beta.
Quote by Regression
Neil Young would be good aswell. I can't stand being in the sun all day though.

I don't really like BDO in general. I'm not really the type who likes to be in huge crowds for 12-14 hours.

I only like to stand in crowds for about 3 hours max. BDO last year was mean with rage :P Front row biatches!!
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Any other Kiwis keen on trying to get something like Ozzfest going but smaller and in NZ? Like getting NZ and a few other country bands and then trying to expand and get some awesome acts, us Kiwis need a DECENT festival not ****ing Ting Tings at BDO.
Quote by tomypg
I only like to stand in crowds for about 3 hours max. BDO last year was mean with rage :P Front row biatches!!

I don't like standing in crowds at all. To introverted. Rage Against The Machine was definately worth it though. It's great hearing 40 odd thousand people screaming the lyrics to Killing In The Name.
Quote by Van-Hayden
Any other Kiwis keen on trying to get something like Ozzfest going but smaller and in NZ? Like getting NZ and a few other country bands and then trying to expand and get some awesome acts, us Kiwis need a DECENT festival not ****ing Ting Tings at BDO.

Depends what you are into really. I don't see an elitist metal festival as something which would be superior.

I do think there needs to be more opportunities for younger bands to play though.
Quote by Regression
Depends what you are into really. I don't see an elitist metal festival as something which would be superior.

I do think there needs to be more opportunities for younger bands to play though.

We need something like Ozzfest AND Homegrown, Metal, Rock etc AND Reggae and stuff, just not Pop, Hip Hop stuff, and have a bunch of upcoming bands playing earlier..
Depends what you classify as pop. I don't think Ozzfest is all that great, I listen to alot of metal but I don't think it works so well live.

From my experience, cleaner music sounds much better live.
Quote by ben deebz
that would be mean ass but
where would u have such a festaval

I don't really know anywhere, but it'd be cool in a place like the domain in town but larger, so that the acts can be split up.
Quote by Regression
Depends. Fusion has potential, and it depends what you classify as pop. I don't think Ozzfest is all that great, I listen to alot of metal but I don't think it works so well live.

From my experience, cleaner music sounds much better live.

clean music does sound beta live cause its clearer the problem when u have metal live is u get overwhelming feedback and raw noise.
the solution may sound loserish but its earplugs
It would be a good idea, but I don't know.

You'd have to find some really good acts. To much music now is incredibally cliche. I thought the winners of rockquest were kind of average. Like they just got chosen because metalcore is quite popular atm.

I like metalcore, but I don't think they deserved to win. There are so many metalcore bands out there doing almost exactly the same thing and I didn't feel anything stood out about the ones who won.
i think the setup at BDO works just fine, sure the lineup isnt always amazing, but im more usually more than happy to pay the ticket price just for the headliner, and most the time theres at least 2 other bands that i want to see.
Just for the record, Tool at BDO 07, BEST SHOW ON NZ SOIL IN HISTORY, who agrees?
mind u kraftwerk a few weeks back was almost on the same level of awesome
Quote by Draken

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cheap classical guitar
Ashton GA-158C
Zoom 505II
Page 1 of 3