I am currently reading this book and I am hooked. It is so absorbing. Has anyone else read this? if so what did you think of it? I have heard a lot of mixed opinions of it but I think the film and the book really compliment each other. If you liked Coppola's films then the book is a must read. You can tell how closely Coppola worked with Puzzo.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Dec 12, 2008,
The movies were great. (maybe except the third part...never understood the incest thingy )
*Note to self: "Must Get That F*cking Book"*
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Yeah I read it a while ago, the horses head scene is actually amazing.
I must read it again.
I liked how the book went into so much more detail, and talked about the cousins in Hollywood and the reason for the horse head in the bed. There were so many more sub plots the movie could not have even hoped to include.
Quote by radio_schizo
I am currently reading this book and I am hooked. It is so absorbing. Has anyone else read this? if so what did you think of it? I have heard a lot of mixed opinions of it but I think the film and the book really compliment each other. If you liked Coppola's films then the book is a must read. You can tell how closely Coppola worked with Puzzo.

Puzo is spelled with ONE "z"
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Zombee
Puzo is spelled with ONE "z"

'Spelt' not 'Spelled'

Never read the book sadly, I must pick it up. Loved the films.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Kahn89
I liked how the book went into so much more detail, and talked about the cousins in Hollywood and the reason for the horse head in the bed. There were so many more sub plots the movie could not have even hoped to include.

Yeah. You really get to know and respect the different characters in far more detail. Especially Vito and Tom Hagan. Puzo is such a fluid and descriptive writer, I literally have to pry myself away from the book.

I am so glad I watched the film first though. It gives you a nice introduction to such an epic story, also visually aswell.

Ooops Puzo it is.
I've read over half of his books - The Godfather, The Sicilian, The Last Don, Omerta... I started The Family, but I stopped cause the entire thing was based on incest which is...

The Godfather and The Last Don are among my favorite books ever though .
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
'Spelt' not 'Spelled'

Never read the book sadly, I must pick it up. Loved the films.

Spelled
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee

Who gives a f*ck?

Puzo was win. (He's dead, right?)
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik

Who gives a f*ck?

Puzo was win. (He's dead, right?)

I do. That is why I posted it.

Yeah he died in 99.
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
I do. That is why I posted it.

Yeah he died in 99.

Don't criticize other people's punctuation when your own isn't perfect either, that's what I was getting at.

I never knew he was dead, I don't know much about the man
RULE BRITANNIA
it wasn't that great of a book, i didn't think, but still entertaining. i guess on the other hand, that's all a book really needs to be
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Psychedelico
I've read over half of his books - The Godfather, The Sicilian, The Last Don, Omerta... I started The Family, but I stopped cause the entire thing was based on incest which is...

The Godfather and The Last Don are among my favorite books ever though .

Do his other books feature characters from The Godfather? or are the completety seperate from the book?

Man, I wish there was a book version of the Godfather II. I know the young Vito part is featured in the book (awesome chapter!) but the drama in the Godfather would have been amazing as a novel. I think as far as the films go part II is my favourite.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Don't criticize other people's punctuation when your own isn't perfect either, that's what I was getting at.

I never knew he was dead, I don't know much about the man

He spelled the name wrong every time. Since he loves the book, I thought it might be a good idea for him to spell the authors name right. Now if I somehow offended you, I'm sorry. I simply told him the correct spelling of his name, and then you the correct spelling of "spelled".

Anyway, yeah, he died. He actually died before he could finish "The Family", his last book. Someone else finished it(wife, maybe?)

I gave a speech about him during my sophomore year of high school.
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
He spelled the name wrong every time. Since he loves the book, I thought it might be a good idea for him to spell the authors name right. Now if I somehow offended you, I'm sorry. I simply told him the correct spelling of his name, and then you the correct spelling of "spelled".

Anyway, yeah, he died. He actually died before he could finish "The Family", his last book. Someone else finished it(wife, maybe?)

I gave a speech about him during my sophomore year of high school.

So is the end really shit?

I really need to read this book, I had a look in W H Smith the other week but couldn't find it.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
So is the end really shit?

I really need to read this book, I had a look in W H Smith the other week but couldn't find it.

I got it from a s/h book shop for 50p!
Awesome book. Mario Puzo's other books are great as well (the last don is my favourite), but there aren't as many subplots and it's not as deliberatly shocking.

Was there really a need for some of the sex scenes in that book? Or the whole pedo director thing at the start? And where in the book was there incest? It must have been a couple of years since I read it, I was 14/15, shocked the hell out of me (I didn't smile/laugh for months).

I would have read more puzo books but my library only had a few. Somehow my library has heaps of mills and boons books (you know those badly written books aimed at middle-aged women?), but barely any core books. Core books rock, albiet a bit sickening at times.

BTW, the movie sucked to hell compared to the book
Quote by demonofthenight
BTW, the movie sucked to hell compared to the book

No way! The movie just managed to reinforce the story. It is as good as a movie can be when it comes to book interpretations.

Anyway it is a bit rash to directly compare a book to a film though as they are both such different formats.
I do believe that in this case the movies are better than the book. The book only covers the two first movies. They are all great but I read the book after seeing the movie. Might've ruined it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I do believe that in this case the movies are better than the book. The book only covers the two first movies. They are all great but I read the book after seeing the movie. Might've ruined it.

Nah, I think it is better that way. The film gives you a brief insight into the story and provides you with a vague visual and character template in your head. Reading the book afterwards allows you to delve deeper into the different characters and stories.

I wouldn't want to watch the film if I had read the book first since it would differ from what I would have visualized in my head.
Read the book in 3 days. Blows the movies out of the water, and I'm a die hard for the movies. One of the best books I have ever read.
  • Ibanez Soundgear
  • Cort SJB-3 Acoustic
  • Epiphone Goth X-Treme
  • DigiTech BP50
  • Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 Plus LTD
  • Epiphone Les Paul Standard
  • Cort Evl-K6
  • DigiTech RP80

Cort Guitar Owner's Club 2nd member.