I'm looking to replace the stock speaker in my Marshall AVT150.Im not liking the sound of the amp but I wont replace it until I have enough $ for an all tube set up so I figure a new speaker might help my tone until then. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm a mostly prog metal and rock guitarist so I'm looking for something geared towards good distorted tones that doesn't kill my cleans.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I'm going to put it bluntly: it's not worth it.
Save up some money, sell the AVT and buy a nice, cheap tube amp.
Laney GH50L is the best you can get for the price, and even if it was twice as much, I'd still look into it.
That being said, if you desperately want to change the speaker, look at Eminence Wizards or Swampthangs. Personal choice really, but those are my two favourites.
Member of the Laney Cult
This is going to sound retarded I know but I dont really want to sell the AVT.It may have a lot of issues but it holds a great deal of sentimental value to me since it's always been there through thick and thin. I was looking at Eminence since they're cheaper and from what I've heard and read are good quality.A guitar tech buddy suggested the black powder or the electro voice black label,but the black label costs a small fortune.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Hmm...
In the case, definitely look into Eminence speakers.
Or possibly even look into a nice tube-driven pedal. That won't give you a tube-amp sound, but it'll give you a sound that's close enough.
I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but they aren't hard to find.
Member of the Laney Cult
From what I've gathered while researching Eminence does seem to be the way to go.I've heard good things about the EV black label but 250 bucks is too rich for my blood. I think I'll look into the black powder since its cheap and based on the specs and reviews I've read it should fix the tonal issues I'm having with the amp.

On another note,the tube amp I was looking at to eventually upgrade to was the Carvin V3,any opinions?

celestion vintage 30, a great heavy rock speaker. Needs about 19hours break-in time, it sounds a little harsh at first. When i say break in time, i mean running it at near max volume (60 watts) with various clean and distorted sounds and plenty of different eq settings
try acoustic energy speakers, unlike their name, they have very powerful distortion if you play metal with them.
Quote by Tezzquill
try acoustic energy speakers, unlike their name, they have very powerful distortion if you play metal with them.

Just get a hood that fits your amp lol...cos I honestly forgot to mention that AE are not built as guitar amps...what I meant is you order an AE speaker and wire it into your amp. I had a classic home-made amp supposedly made by someone 2 generations above me. Lost it recently when it got struck by lightning, and it performed better than most amps you would find in the market.