I have an old marlin sidewinder and quite fancy playing around with it, setting it up properly (I've never done this before so the practice would be worthwhile in itself I guess), putting some new pickups in it, basic stuff like that. However, is starting with such a budget guitar ever going to produce playable results or is it always going to be crap but now more expensive crap?

Thanks,

Mark
i dunno but im planning on doing the same thing with an rg270
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Depends. If it's got a warped neck or some other un-fixable problem, then leave it alone. If it plays alright, then yeah go for it. You can make anything sound good. Paul Gilbert recorded a good portion of one of his albums with a no-name LP knockoff that he replaced the pickups in....sounded good.
Nope, no sig here.
There's nothing wrong with it except the usual fret buzz you get on cheap guitars. Certainly not a warped neck or anything like that.

Cheers,

Mark
Quote by Mutant Corn
Depends. If it's got a warped neck or some other un-fixable problem, then leave it alone. If it plays alright, then yeah go for it. You can make anything sound good. Paul Gilbert recorded a good portion of one of his albums with a no-name LP knockoff that he replaced the pickups in....sounded good.

did he?
thats awesome
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
I think it's worth it, especially if you're new to the whole modding thing. go crazy. have some fun. As long as it's on a playable guitar, obviously.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
i'm starting to get into the whole "customizing guitar" thing recently and i was wondering... what exactly qualifies a neck to be warped?
I believe the Marlin Sidewinder, was made in Wales and not in huge numbers, though I may be wrong.

Also, I don't think it was a BAD guitar at all. Certainly better than some of the crap you can get these days.
Quote by Skeet UK
I believe the Marlin Sidewinder, was made in Wales and not in huge numbers, though I may be wrong.

Also, I don't think it was a BAD guitar at all. Certainly better than some of the crap you can get these days.

I've had it since new (20 years old now maybe) but haven't used it for years. Perhaps 'crap' was the wrong term to use . It's ok although it has a double locking floyd style set up which didn't stay in tune very well.

Cheers,

Mark
Quote by dernian
I've had it since new (20 years old now maybe) but haven't used it for years. Perhaps 'crap' was the wrong term to use . It's ok although it has a double locking floyd style set up which didn't stay in tune very well.

Cheers,

Mark

Well that is understandable, it's an FR.

You cant blame teh poor old Marlin, just because the Trem King wasn't invented till 20 years later!