Page 1 of 2
Hello I am new to the UG forums. I am looking for a good 30W compo amp in the pirice range of $300 - $500 AUD.

I have managed to find some amps that look seem pretty decent:
Vox Valtronix AD30VT $469
Vox Valtronix VT30 $499
Roland CUBE-30X $369
Marshall MG30DFX $399
Line 6 Spider III 30 $399
Fender FM65R $429
Peavey Vypyr 30 $439

How good are these amps? And are there any others I haven't mentioned? Should I go all solid-state or valve pre-amp?

My playing styles are as diverse as rock, metal, punk, grunge and blues. I am looking for a good all-round amplifier I can use for practice and recording.

Any help or opinions will be much appreciated.
Last edited by NoFate17 at Dec 12, 2008,
Stay away from the Marshall and the Line 6 and you'll be fine...any of the others are good. The Vox ones look best to me...you can't go wrong with tubes.
Nope, no sig here.
Yes I thought either the Vox or the Roland would be the best option, probably the Vox because it has tubes. But what about the Fender FM65R, it's over twice the power and the same price and the Peavey Vypyr 30 how do they perform?
-The Line6 Spiders have a buzzy, digital tone
-The Marshall MGs have a similar buzzy tone and are notoriously unreliable
-The Fender's OD and distortion are useless and muddy
-The Cube has only average cleans

So I'd narrow it down to one of the Voxs or the Vypyr, probably going with a Vox cause I've got more experience with them.

I suggest trying all those amps out first though and deciding for yourself.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I have heard only good things about the Vox Valvtronix series. I think I will have to try them our first and see which one sounds the best to me. Thank you Mutant Corn and shadow__666 for your help.
I have one last question. Should I get the Vox AD30VT or the new VT30. I have heard that the new VT30 sounds worse than the AD30VT, or is this just fabrication.
1 pre-amp tube =/= better tone. In my opinion the Vox's aren't really worth the extra money over the Cube 30.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Vypyr but I'd go peavey envoy which you didn't list. Don't worry about anything having tubes. Pre amp tubes in small amps don't make a huge difference really.
id go with a used peavey bandit 112. it has more wattage (better to have and not need than need and not have) plus used can be had for about 100.00. are you looking at those amps because of the effects they have or will you be using pedals?
Bandit sounds good. The envoy is basically a bandit with a more gain to it. Kinda the metal version of it. The modern channel sounds great on it.
the bandit has a 12 inch speaker, the envoy has a 10. that makes a world of difference in the frequency range it can reproduce. and if you decide to cab it it pushes 100 watts rms at 4ohm or 80 watts rms at 8 ohms into its own speaker.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
You guys really think the Bandit/Envoy sound better than the Vypyr?

I don't see it.

Dude have you tried an envoy versus a vypyr? The envoy's modern channel sounds like a small version of my peavey 5150. It is all analog with no digital processors in it. So it sounds so organic. The 6505 model on the vypyr doesn't sound as good as the modern channel on the envoy. Try it out man. And the bandit's speaker doesn't matter if you are playing metal the envoy is better. Like I said they are almost the same amp with one more focused on classic, modern, and a crazy high gain channel. The modern channel like I said is the closet thing to a practice 5150 I have ever played. And all these amps try to emulate it.
I forgot to add the bandit does have more wattage though. But tone wise if you are playing metal I'd go with the envoy
Quote by hcsn2008
And the bandit's speaker doesn't matter if you are playing metal the envoy is better.

not true. the speaker does matter. try down tuning through a 10 inch. its the same theory as a car sterao. a 10 is only gonna keep your lows so clean. where a 12 can reproduce the same lows and more.
Quote by jymellis
not true. the speaker does matter. try down tuning through a 10 inch. its the same theory as a car sterao. a 10 is only gonna keep your lows so clean. where a 12 can reproduce the same lows and more.

But that doesn't matter because it's what the amp is voiced for. The envoy is voiced for metal tones where as the bandit isn't. I mean you can have a whole vox stack man... with 4 12 inch speakers... but it's not going to do metal as well as something voiced for it like a 5150 combo with only 2 12 inch speakers. If we were talking about the same voiced amp with a bigger speaker.. yes I'd say get the 12 inch speaker. But if you are looking for metal tone the envoy just simply sounds better. I tried them both out and went with the envoy over the bandit or vypyr. I play 5150/6505 with my band and was looking for a practice amp that had the closest 5150 sound possible. So that way when I create a song on my practice amp and go to band practice I get the same kinda vibe and tone. I tried the cube... I tried the vox XL. It was a long day to say the least. But ended up going with the envoy which only cost me 199 bucks.
I'll add man.. The amp is what the sound comes from.. If it's a classic rock amp it's driving a classic rock tone through that speaker. If it's a metal amp it's driving metal tone through that speaker. The speaker is not the amp man. A bigger speaker is better like you said... but that doesn't matter if the amp is delivering the tone of the genre you want through that speaker. So with your logic you'd say.... If a fender blues deluxe has a bigger speaker than a 5150 combo.. then the fender would do metal better? Although I realize they have the same size speakers I believe. But you understand what I'm saying.
Quote by hcsn2008
But that doesn't matter because it's what the amp is voiced for. The envoy is voiced for metal tones where as the bandit isn't. I mean you can have a whole vox stack man... with 4 12 inch speakers... but it's not going to do metal as well as something voiced for it like a 5150 combo with only 2 12 inch speakers. If we were talking about the same voiced amp with a bigger speaker.. yes I'd say get the 12 inch speaker. But if you are looking for metal tone the envoy just simply sounds better. I tried them both out and went with the envoy over the bandit or vypyr. I play 5150/6505 with my band and was looking for a practice amp that had the closest 5150 sound possible. So that way when I create a song on my practice amp and go to band practice I get the same kinda vibe and tone. I tried the cube... I tried the vox XL. It was a long day to say the least. But ended up going with the envoy which only cost me 199 bucks.

true, but i use pedals and sevenstrings . tens turn to mud lol. for his application i will have to agree with you. my bandit is the older one with the scorpion in it. my brother uses a newer crate with 2 tens (costs 3x as much as my bandit) and my 7s sound like poo on his amp.
like i said also, i use pedals. kinda negates the effects or sound of the amp. i think we are both rite
yeah I don't use pedals. On my tube amps I use a noise gate pedal and an OD pedal. But I don't like distortion pedals or anything like that.
Quote by hcsn2008
yeah I don't use pedals. On my tube amps I use a noise gate pedal and an OD pedal. But I don't like distortion pedals or anything like that.

i use a zoom multi. i know, i know, you tube guys hate electronic reproduction sounds. i dont play live anymore. i only use my amp for fun. i mainly record on my p.c. with tons of programs and models. keeps me able to spend on my guitars and not amps lol. back when i used to play live i used tube amps(vintage silvertone head) or a crate blue voodoo. now that i mainly record i have found that i dont need a huge amp or stack anymore. (sold all of that aver 10 years ago).
Last edited by jymellis at Dec 12, 2008,
If you are playing mostly heavier stuff then go with the cube. If you are more into the softer and bluesy stuff get one of the vox amps. The AD30 gives a more traditional tone while the VT30 has a few more options for higher gain stuff. Both are good but the VT is only worth the extra money if you think you will use the extra features.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by hcsn2008
Dude have you tried an envoy versus a vypyr? The envoy's modern channel sounds like a small version of my peavey 5150. It is all analog with no digital processors in it. So it sounds so organic. The 6505 model on the vypyr doesn't sound as good as the modern channel on the envoy. Try it out man. And the bandit's speaker doesn't matter if you are playing metal the envoy is better. Like I said they are almost the same amp with one more focused on classic, modern, and a crazy high gain channel. The modern channel like I said is the closet thing to a practice 5150 I have ever played. And all these amps try to emulate it.

+1 I have played one for 2 years,the Envoy is awesome for it's price !
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Yeah, the envoy is killer you can't beat it for a practice amp. Everyone raves about the cube here but I get the feeling they have not tried an envoy. The envoy is much louder than the cube and sounds much more organic. It actually has a good tube tone to it. Their transtube technology isnt bull**** like most stuff like that. The cube just sounds like digitally processed tones. With no balls to it. It's very weak.
Quote by K!nj!
+1 I have played one for 2 years,the Envoy is awesome for it's price !

I got an Envoy as my 1st amp with my 1st guitar. I used it for 5 years and i would not recommend one to anybody. Cleans are brittle and distortion is just plain ugly. Of all the amps I've played that are selling for under $100 the Envoy is probably one of the best but that still doesn't make it "good for the price" it just makes it the best you can can get for less than $100 and for many that translates to the best they can afford. I like to think that "Good for the price" or "best for the money" comes when you start looking at affordable amps that actually have usable features and sound good. I realize tone is subjective so perhaps the envoy does sound good to you but I would be willing to guess that you are in the minority.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I got an Envoy as my 1st amp with my 1st guitar. I used it for 5 years and i would not recommend one to anybody. Cleans are brittle and distortion is just plain ugly. Of all the amps I've played that are selling for under $100 the Envoy is probably one of the best but that still doesn't make it "good for the price" it just makes it the best you can can get for less than $100 and for many that translates to the best they can afford. I like to think that "Good for the price" or "best for the money" comes when you start looking at affordable amps that actually have usable features and sound good. I realize tone is subjective so perhaps the envoy does sound good to you but I would be willing to guess that you are in the minority.

The envoy amp now actually isnt the same as it was back then. The newer model has a whole different transtube line in it. It's a totally different amp. Kindof like the bandit isnt like the old bandit classics. The modern channel on the envoy is amazing. Play one of the new ones and you'll probably dig it. The clean channel is not that impressive though. But that's the usual. Its according which is more important.
Quote by hcsn2008

I have played both, they sit side by side at my local music store, so don't talk down to me or anyone else here for that matter.

By comparison, the Envoy sounded crap to me.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Stay away from the Marshall and the Line 6 and you'll be fine...any of the others are good. The Vox ones look best to me...you can't go wrong with tubes.

not tube, hybrid.
But still i'd go with the vox myself
get the vypyr. its got a lot of bells and whistles so it'll take you some time to fully understand what all the models and distortions and stuff do, but in terms of features, versatility, and sound, its gonna be the best for your style out of all those amps.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I have played both, they sit side by side at my local music store, so don't talk down to me or anyone else here for that matter.

By comparison, the Envoy sounded crap to me.

No one is talking down to you. It's all opinion. But I know plenty of people who agree with me. So this guy may agree that the envoy is what he wants. I just simply haven't heard a practice amp for metal that sounded better than the envoy on the modern channel.
Well not to side track everything but the Valveking would be worth looking at too for $419.

I've run my RP250 thru it too and didn't sound bad. Cleaned up the muddiness for sure. The dummy jack trick works wonder too
Out of those, either Vox, Peavey, or Roland.

Vox if you are looking for low to mid gain sounds. The valvetronix does those well. It does not accell at high gain however.

If you are looking for a SS metal amp, then go roland cube 30 or 60. The rectifier setting is hands down the best SS metal tone you will find in this price range.

I have not played the peavey vypr series so I cannot comment on them. I will mention that it will be tough to beat the cube's rectifier metal tone in a budget amp.
Guitars
Amps
I don't see how you guys like the cube so much. I hear so much talk about it and everytime they sound like crap to me. It sounds so small and digital. The peavey vypyr sounds better but still if you can stay away from modeling, I would.
I vote for the Vypyr 30. I've got one and they're great amps for the money. The Vypyr also has a Rectifier model like the Cube 30. The Vypyr might take you some time to fully understand, but in terms of versatility, sound and features I think its the best out of those amps.
Well I personally had the AD15vt-xl, and at first I though it sounded awesome, my friend definitely preferred it to his mg 15. After A while I began to tire of its general sound, and it's built in effects. It didn't handle pedals all that well either. It may have a tube in it but it's not really a tube amp, so I traded it in toward the cost of a crate V50-112. An awesome investment after some tube swaps, maybe eventually a speaker swap as well. The Crates are ridiculously cheap all tube amps the 50-112 costs only $200 US, and the make a 33watt but only in a head only version or combo with 2x12s. The combo goes for $250 US, if you can find one try it out, might still be in your price range after currency conversion/local cost and what not.
Guitars: Ibanez RG2550, RG920QM, SZ520QM
Amp: Marshall Haze 15, Eminence Man-O-War Speaker
Effects: Digitech RP250, DIY Keeley Mod DS-1, Jemini
Quote by blkspade
Well I personally had the AD15vt-xl, and at first I though it sounded awesome, my friend definitely preferred it to his mg 15. After A while I began to tire of its general sound, and it's built in effects. It didn't handle pedals all that well either. It may have a tube in it but it's not really a tube amp, so I traded it in toward the cost of a crate V50-112. An awesome investment after some tube swaps, maybe eventually a speaker swap as well. The Crates are ridiculously cheap all tube amps the 50-112 costs only $200 US, and the make a 33watt but only in a head only version or combo with 2x12s. The combo goes for $250 US, if you can find one try it out, might still be in your price range after currency conversion/local cost and what not.

Yeah I'd agree. These modeling amps just suck and you got sick of it. I have an unbiased opinion. I always try out everything and make an opinion. Most people here just buy an amp and assume what they have is the best and will hang with anything. I've had people tell me their lil kustom solid state amps would slay my peavey 5150. So getting opinions here sometimes sucks. Better to try it out yourself.
Page 1 of 2