Page 1 of 4
The Strat, obviously has been the most popular guitar in the past half a century.
But, really, who do you think used it the most skillfully?

In my opinion, it was Stevie Ray Vaughan, greatest Blues guitarist in my opinion.
Clapton was good, but lets admit it his solos are... mediocre.

In the side of Heavy Metal, I'd have to say Eddie Van Halen over Malmsteen.
you can just feel his need and enthusiasm in the instrument and he does it right, even if he had some dark times and made stupid mistakes.

Your thoughts.
Discuss.
SRV. EC after Stevie Ray, then EVH, then Jimi IMO. Add Zoso after Jimi if the few tracks he used one on count.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
SRV. EC after Stevie ray, then EVH, then Jimi IMO.

whoops, forgot bout hendrix, he was amazing as well obviously
Quote by Shred Head
I don't listen to SRV, but he made it iconic

I thought Clapton did that?
Quote by Mase947
Its pretty much no contest. Yngwie Malmsteen all the way!

I do prefer Eric Johnson, more feel better sound and more variation.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Dec 12, 2008,
Hendrix. By far. To this day, no one can squeeze as much sheer feeling out of a Strat or any other guitar as he did. And dude made it look effortless, plenty of panache, and had the songwriting chops to back it up.

There are probably lots of dudes who openly displayed more technical skill, but honestly, it just seems like a lot of them are missing the point and sacrificing the reasons the average person listens to music in favor of technicality, and really, what's it matter if you're alienating everyone who wants something human with their music? Playing music is so, so, so much more than a quick set of fingers and a good grasp on music theory.

That's just my feeling on the whole thing.
Quote by FretboardToAsh
I do prefer Eric Johnson, more feel better sound and more variation.

Eric Johnson is underrated, really bad, he can sing ok but his guitar play is amazing in Cliffs of dover and Desert Rose.
Quote by radomu
Eric Johnson is underrated, really bad, he can sing ok but his guitar play is amazing in Cliffs of dover and Desert Rose.

he's got several other things, fingerstyle(tribute to jerry reed and more), blues stuff(12 to 12 vibe, enzo shuffle). And the way he pulls it off, I've only once hear him play a wrong note. Except for that one his playing and technique is perfect and it sounds so damn nice.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Didn't EVH play a Musicman or something? Don't recall him playing a strat?

I would say that, in terms of nice clean tones and innovativeness, John Mayer's up there with the strat wielders.
Quote by M1llerman
Didn't EVH play a Musicman or something? Don't recall him playing a strat?

I would say that, in terms of nice clean tones and innovativeness, John Mayer's up there with the strat wielders.

eventually yes, but he's know best for his frankenstrat I think.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Mase947
Its pretty much no contest. Yngwie Malmsteen all the way!

What Ynwie Malmsteen does to those poor stratocasters made me NOT want to play one. So many notes, so little music.

But I think it's pretty obvious that Hendrix was the ultimate strat user.
Hendrix is definitely my favorite strat user. **** Malmsteen, give him a Ibanez or something ffs.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by Weybl Himself
What Ynwie Malmsteen does to those poor stratocasters made me NOT want to play one. So many notes, so little music.

But I think it's pretty obvious that Hendrix was the ultimate strat user.

well that's not true, malmsteen had a lot of music, it was just really REALLY fast.

But I liked what he did to the strats, their his guitar, he can carve out the frets if he desires.
Quote by willieturnip
Hendrix!

****ing hell does this even need discussing?!

sort of, he was great, but some people listen to too much metal that they start believing that fast wrists are better
Personally, I think Eric Johnson is far and away the most masterful player to ever use a Strat. He's an incredible musician (listen to more than Cliffs, he's an incredible all rounder), and in many ways his technique puts even Malmsteen's to shame.

However, when I hear Eric's tone, I think "Eric." I don't think "Strat." When it comes to masterful players with a more traditional Strat tone, I think Carl Verheyen is phenominal, but I'm also a fan of David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Personally, I think Eric Johnson is far and away the most masterful player to ever use a Strat. He's an incredible musician (listen to more than Cliffs, he's an incredible all rounder), and in many ways his technique puts even Malmsteen's to shame.

However, when I hear Eric's tone, I think "Eric." I don't think "Strat." When it comes to masterful players with a more traditional Strat tone, I think Carl Verheyen is phenominal, but I'm also a fan of David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler.

i guess he represents the 80's-90's tone than any guitarist
My favourite musician who uses a strat is Rory Gallagher, however he isn't "the true stratocaster master" or any of that bollocks, I don't even know that "the true stratocaster master" means It's not like playing a strat is a different way of life to any other guitarists, pluse all of these guitarists use guitars other than strats too.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
My favourite musician who uses a strat is Rory Gallagher, however he isn't "the true stratocaster master" or any of that bollocks, I don't even know that "the true stratocaster master" means It's not like playing a strat is a different way of life to any other guitarists, pluse all of these guitarists use guitars other than strats too.

...Who?

Oh the guy from Oasis, never mind...
Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's got several other things, fingerstyle(tribute to jerry reed and more), blues stuff(12 to 12 vibe, enzo shuffle). And the way he pulls it off, I've only once hear him play a wrong note. Except for that one his playing and technique is perfect and it sounds so damn nice.

He didn't play that wrong note it was just chromaticism

Eric gets my vote too, although malmsteen would be right up there (most skillfull on a strat, not my fav)
Quote by Punk_Ninja
XD I love that, siggin' it

Yeah but I hate Oasis so it means nothing to me
Quote by radomu
Yeah but I hate Oasis so it means nothing to me

Who said anything about Oasis?
Quote by willieturnip
Hendrix!

****ing hell does this even need discussing?!

yes, it does

because personally I think Hendrix is the 3rd most overrated guitar player of all time

2nd being Eddie Van Halen
and 1st being Michael Angello

but thats another rant for another thread.

Hendrix was great and did unbelievable things with a guitar
the problem is...I simply dont like his style.
I'll give it to him that he was creative, and a very damn good player

but it just doesnt catch with me too well.

I'll listen to him, I own a few album... but anything Hendrix played Stevie could have played better :P

So if you ask me the true Stratocaster Caster has to be Eric Johnson.
not that I'm an Eric Johnson fanboy either though, considering I actually own more albums by Hendrix than Johnson

but when I think of someone who pulls out everything a Strat has to offer he's the name that comes to mind.

just listen to Manhattan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL8aeeSTthQ

much much better than Cliffs of Dover, if you ask me.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Mark Knopfler.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by Horlicks
Who said anything about Oasis?

I thought the Gallaghars were Oasis?
No?
Ok then...
Quote by radomu
I thought the Gallaghars were Oasis?
No?
Ok then...

Wow, you're really slow .
People who don't play guitar associate Hendrix and Stevie with their iconic Stratocasters. Nobody besides us would know what Eric Johnson played or who he is for that matter. Clapton's best tone came from a Gibson.
Quote by danohat
People who don't play guitar associate Hendrix and Stevie with their iconic Stratocasters. Nobody besides us would know what Eric Johnson played or who he is for that matter. Clapton's best tone came from a Gibson.

I actually wished Clapton stuck with the SG.
when it comes to skill, knowledge, and theory..... definitely Yngwie Malmsteen. He's a dick and also puts little emotion into the playing, but you have to admit he's a master of that thing.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
I actually don't care for Clapton playing anything other than the SG or 335. Please don't flame.
Page 1 of 4